Tutorial  Updated

How To: Upgrading / Rebuilding Wii U Internal Memory (MLC)

Warning

This tutorial is only for advanced users and has a serious risk of bricking the console. Make sure you read it completely before executing any step and that you understand every step and its implications. With de_Fuse everything should be unbrickable if you know how.

You should at least have a backup of SLC and SLCCMPT, as we can’t rebuild them at the moment. (can be done in minute_minute, so there is no excuse). We had two cases where the SLC corrupted for an unknown reason, so a backup is essential.

What is this for?

This tutorial goes into rebuilding the MLC from scratch on a clean media. This can become useful, if
  • the MLC (eMMC) chip died or corrupted the filesystem
  • the SCFM (SLC cache for MLC) became inconsistent
  • you want to upgrade the capacity of the internal storage.
  • you want to set up a redNAND without SCFM
If you have a bad eMMC chip, but the recovery still works (which is most likely), then there are also ways to fix it without a complete reformat.
If the LED is blinking blue, you have a SLC problem and not a MLC problem, so this tutorial won't help with that.

It will format your MLC, so all data on the internal Wii U memory will be lost.

Update

13.03.2024 - The wafel_setup_mlc.ipx now uses a built in IOSU function to create system folders, that should make sure the permissions are right, which caused problems with game updates in the past. It will also recreate the update folder (so system updates won't be blocked by that)

Prerequisites

Backing up save games

Do a backup of what you want to preserve, like savegames and Miis.
For Backing up Save games, it is recommended to use SaveMii. That requires that you have Tiramisu or Aroma running.
You can also move your savgames (or whole games) to USB, which should still be readable. When recreating the users after the rebuild, you just have to be carefull to create the users in the right order, to make the ID’s match. A backup by other means (Like savemii) is still recommended.
If you are using this tutorial to fix a failing eMMC you might not be able to use the other Backup options. In that case use the Dump MLC option in the Recovery. You can extract your data from there using wfs-extract.

Storage Options

The Wii U has two ways of connecting internal memory, each with its own drawbacks:
  • SDIO – On retail consoles the internal memory is a eMMC chip connected through an internal SDIO bus to the Latte chip. This SDIO bus can also use SD cards (hence the name SD IO). Access to media connected on the SDIO is cached through a file on the SLC, presumably to reduce writes on the MLC. This cache is called SCFM and it is the reason why you always need to backup / restore SLC and MLC together and doesn’t allow easy swapping of multiple SDs.
    IOSU also only supports 3 sizes of media on this bus: <=8GB, 32GB and 64GB. The size will be limited to the biggest it fits, the rest is unusable. This bus is limited to 26MB/s (4bit@52Mhz). For replacing the eMMC with an micro SD you can use MLC2SD or a similar Interposer. Soldering and micro SD adapter using wires, works too.
    It is recommended to use a 64GB Sandisk Max Endurance card (But similar card should also be fine), since the Wii U is known for writing much.

• SATA – The Disc drive is connected through SATA, the connectors are different but the electrical signals are still the same. Some Kiosk consoles used this Interface to connect to a HDD. The type of the SATA device can be configured in the SEEPROM, so we can configure our retail consoles to also use a SATA HDD / SSD.
    NOTE: @QuarkTheAwesome is building an SATA adapter for that purpose, available soon™.

The advantage of using this interface is, that the size isn’t limited (well WFS is limited to 2TB) and it doesn’t use SCFM, which makes some things easier and improves performance in some circumstances. The obvious disadvantage is that you can’t use your disc drive anymore. Without the Disc Drive vWii System Menu doesn't work. vWii Injectes / Wii VC from the eShop can still be used, but only when installed to USB. Also you still might need to disable the MLC on the SDIO bus, or else the wii u might still use the SDIO one if the SATA device takes too long to init.

• redNAND – redirects the read / writes to one or more of the internal storage devices to paritions on the SD card. You can create an arbitrary size MLC partition on the SD card and set it up using this tutorial. SCFM can be easily disabled for the redNAND. The 64GB limit does not exist for redNAND if the SCFM is disabled. For redNAND we have a dedicated Tutorial here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/fixing-...-soldering-using-rednand-with-isfshax.642268/

Does that mean we can’t get more than 64GB on the SDIO bus? No, BUT it requires ISFShax / defuse to boot the console every time. @GaryOderNichts created a patch to remove the limits and always use the maximum size of the SDIO media and it also disables SCFM, because SCFM doesn’t work with more than 64GB and disabling SCFM improves performance and reduces wear on the SLC, at the cost of increasing wear of the MLC media. I packaged this patch in wafel_unlimit_mlc.

Rebuilding the MLC

Now that you decided what media you want to use as MLC, we can start with the actual process:
  1. Download all the mlc system titles for your region from NUS. This can be done conveniently with MLCRestorerDownloader by @Xpl0itU. Copy the otp.bin from the SD to the folder with the MLCRestorer Downloader so it can get the common key from there.

You will get the output/MLC/{region} directory, which then contains a directory for each title. In total there should be 52 titles totaling ~1.1GiB.

If your console has an old firmware it might also be necessary to get the latest SLC titles.

2. On the root of your SD card (the one that will go in the front slot, not the MLC replacement) create a folder wafel_install. Then copy all 52 titles to the wafel_install folder, so it now contains the 52 subfolders, one for each title. If you want to reinstall / update SLC titles, you would also put them there.

3. Attach your MLC media of choice. (If you are using SATA got to Backup and Restore, then at Set SATA Device in SEEPROM select GEN2-HDD (Kiosk CAT-I with HDD)).
    For installing MLC2SD look here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-n...emmc-fix-160-0103-system-memory-error.636361/ at the Soldering section.

4. If you install to eMMC / MLC2SD, got to Backup and Restore and select Erase MLC and Delete scfm.img. If the Erase MLC fails, you can ignore that if it wasn't formatted as MLC before (from a failed install or so).

5. Put the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx on the SD card in /wiiu/ios_plugins. If you want more than 64GB on SDIO you also need to put the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx there. If you install with wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx, it will be permanently required and therefore also permanently requires ISFShax or defuse.

6. [Optional, only when using defuse] Open the serial monitor on the PC (Putty / minicom) for defuse to see the setup progress. There will be no display output in the Wii U itself. I attached the whole serial log of a successfull install as a reference.

7. Select Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc) in minute to start the setup of your fresh MLC.During the setup you won't see anything on the screen. You have to go by the power led.
    The power LED will flash blue, while it is installing the titles.
    if something goes wrong the LED will turn orange, but it will continue as long as it is blinking.
    The LED will become static once it finished. You can now power off the console.
    If the led is blinking red, something fatal happend. Ask for help.
    During the setup a short log gets written to the SD: wafel_setup_mlc.log.
    In the end it will enable the initial setup on the next boot.

8. Remove the wafel_setup_mlc.ipx from /wiiu/ios_plugins on the SD.

9. Boot the console. Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc)

10. If everything worked, the initial setup should launch.

ISFShax only: Finalizing

If you are using the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx you need to keep ISFShax installed. If you haven't done already complete the "Booting without SD" step form the ISFShax tutorial but also add the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx renamed to 9unlimit.ipx to the /storage_slc/sys/hax/ios_plugins directory.
If you are not using the wafel_unlimit_mlc.ipx you can either uninstall ISFShax or keep it as a brick protection. If you keep it complete the "Booting without SD" step form the ISFShax tutorial.
The Wii U should now boot automatically if you don't have an SD in.
You probably also want to enable the autobooting now.

See Also

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-internal-storage-upgrades-are-possible.635629/

Pictures

512 GB SD card:
img_20230702_021647-jpg.381270

@QuarkTheAwesome 120 GB SSD:
img_2709-jpg.381271

Thanks

Attachments

• serial-log.txt
    87.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by SDIO,

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
WUP-50 is just my nightmare:sad:,no OTP,Stop here:

Attachments

• No.1 log.txt
    643.3 KB · Views: 4
  • No.1 log2.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 4

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yes, I remember it. At that time, I'm fixing the WUP-01 with HYNIX, It cannot dump OTP via PRSHhax. With the help of crypto dump, I successfully dump OTP. In binary, OTP is not zero or FF , but the data is so strange. So I think its OTP is damaged. I threw it into the trash can.

In this console, wup-50, It has a stable blue light, Samsung eMMC,, no UDPIH, no image on TV . It looks like EMMC is not installed. In my experience, I have never encountered a Samsung EMMC with completely failed.
I also dump the crypto, but it's all ZERO.

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Still haven't achieved the goal, Still getting all zero. My steps: flash crypto-dump boot1 to SD, boot the console without defuse, insert SD card, plug the Pico in, the LED puple flashing for a moment, then static purple and then orange blinking.
Did I make a mistake?

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe try an older defuse, which doesn't have that slccmpt boot feature.
And it writes the memdump file to the SD, but it is all zero?

Ysecond

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Still this common version:
MD5: C941ED70442744FEAFCB8578E5625C09
SHA1: 33AE95A05B86D8E06D7331F8CF791C2C82DB69D1

Backup and Restore

Dump SEEPROM & OTP
> Dump OTP via PRSHhax
Dump SLC.RAW
Dump SLCCMPT.RAW
Dump BOOT1_SLC.RAW
Dump BOOT1_SLCCMPT.RAW
Dump factory log
Dump sys crash logs
Dump sys crash logs from redslc
Format redNAND
Restore SLC.RAW
Restore SLC.IMG
Restore SLCCMPT.RAW
Restore BOOT1_SLC.RAW
Restore BOOT1_SLCCMPT.RAW
Restore BOOT1_SLC.IMG
Restore BOOT1_SLCCMPT.IMG
Restore seeprom.bin
Erase MLC
Delete scfm.img
Delete SLCCMPT scfm.img
Delete redNAND scfm.img
Restore redNAND MLC
Sync SEEPROM boot1 versions with NAND
Set SEEPROM SATA device type
Test SLC and Restore SLC.RAW
Return to Main Menu
9254f7bf 8f14dbd2
505276c9 505276c9
Guessing key based on boot1 header type 2
--> prod key
Dumping OTP using boot1 prod v8377 (slot0=v8377, slot1=v8377), and offset 0x0d40ac6d...

WARNING: SEEPROM slot0 boot1 version v21274 does not match NAND version v8377!
Exploit might not work!

WARNING: SEEPROM slot1 boot1 version v35295 does not match NAND version v8377!
Exploit might not work!
Post automatically merged:

OTP can be obtained here, looks like good, but it's still wrong
Set SEEPROM SATA device type

No device
> ROM drive (Retail)
R drive (Test/Kiosk CAT-I)
MION (Debug)
SES (Kiosk CAT-SES)
GEN2-HDD (Kiosk CAT-I with HDD)
GEN1-HDD (Kiosk CAT-I with HDD)
Cancel and return
Making mandatory OTP/SEEPROM backups...
Dumping OTP to `sdmc:/backup_otp_1.bin`...
Dumping SEEPROM to `sdmc:/backup_seeprom_1.bin`...
Done making mandatory backups.
Done verifying.

SEEPROM will be set to the following SATA devices:
Primary: 2 (No device) -> 3 (ROM drive (Retail))
Write these values to SEEPROM?
[POWER/Q] No | [EJECT/P] Yes...

Success!

Attachments

• backup_otp_0.rar
    1.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by Ysecond,

TheSunnyMachine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
before it stopped, backed up otp and the other thing and installed nand aid
Which screen are you using? You need to use HDMI at this point.

If HDMI isn't working try component. The gamepad won't show minute after you install it. It will only work on the console video output.

ironsniper1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which screen are you using? You need to use HDMI at this point.

If HDMI isn't working try component. The gamepad won't show minute after you install it. It will only work on the console video output.
i only use hdmi it was showing an error before the nand aid, installed the nand aid and now get nothing on screen, i do not have a pad synced to the console, i do not have minute installed, thats what i was trying to do when it stopped working

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto