Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why isn't it a part of the init.d anyway? Just make a script to modprobe the nic and set it to be up and run dhclient. Its like five lines tops.
Were not using modules. The drivers built right into the kernel. We could add dhclient to the init scripts but if users don't have LAN plugged in it would delay boot. We don't have WiFi support.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to upload Trinux Beta 1.0b (with Ubuntu and LXDE as shown off in the previous youtube video). There's still a lot of work to be done, but I have Ninja_Carver's permission to release this as our very first beta image. Out with the alphas an in the with the betas :). Expect a download link soon :)

Logins for this beta are as follows:

User: tsk
pass: trinux

User: Root
pass: trinux

ITS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CHANGE THESE IMMEDIATELY IF YOU WANT ANY SENSE OF SECURITY, THESE ARE ONLY INTENDED TO BE DEFAULT LOGINS! IF YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO CHANGE BOTH LOGINS OR ADD ANY NEW ONES, AT THE VERY LEAST CHANGE ROOT AS IT IS SUPER USER UNLESS YOU WANT SOMEONE ELSE TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO TRASH YOUR LINUX SETUP :P.

Side note: You will notice another default user called "USB Mux Daemon" this is NOT working! Just disregard it altogether at this time.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm about to upload Trinux Beta 1.0b (with Ubuntu and LXDE as shown off in the previous youtube video). There's still a lot of work to be done, but I have Ninja_Carver's permission to release this as our very first beta image. Out with the alphas an in the with the betas :). Expect a download link soon :)

Awesome work!

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm splitting the image up into 700mb chunks right now so I can upload it to 4shared without having to pay for a premium account :P. I will likely make a torrent for this image as well in the future, but per the forum rules I am not allowed to post such a link here, even though this is a totally legal release. Forum rules forbid all torrent links regardless of what they point to.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm splitting the image up into 700mb chunks right now so I can upload it to 4shared without having to pay for a premium account :P. I will likely make a torrent for this image as well in the future, but per the forum rules I am not allowed to post such a link here, even though this is a totally legal release. Forum rules forbid all torrent links regardless of what they point to.

Yeah, that kinda stinks but at least we have alternate downloads :P

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea but you can do one of two things, post a link to a text dump website where the text dump is the link, or upload a torrent file to a file share site and link that. Hilariously stupid loophole.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trinux v1.0b (First Beta Release) Please Redistribute This Freely, Its Linux After All :P.

Here it is: http://www.4shared.com/file/e50Lv-XAba/trinux-10b7z.html

You'll notice, its a part file for 7zip. There is only one part to this file. The file was originally 8gb, so I tried to split it up into 700mb chunks but apparently there was so much empty space that it compressed it all down to one single 419mb file :P. You will need an 8gb (or larger) to use this. I have tested this and can confirm its working fine with my 8gb card made by sandisk. Although I know with some of the earlier releases of Trinux some people were having issues with cards that were larger than 2gb. For whatever reason, I never had that problem, my trusty 8gb card worked fine from the get-go. It works fine with this latest release as well. If anyone has any issues getting this to run on their sd card, please post back what the issue is and all the details you can provide about the sd card you're trying to use and we will look into it. I'm sure others will be willing to help out getting it running too. You will need to write this image to your sd card using Win32diskimager or a similar program. WARNING WRITING THIS TO YOUR SD CARD WILL ERASE ANY DATA CURRENTLY ON YOUR SD CARD SO EITHER BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST OR USE A BRAND NEW CARD!!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Launch this on your vWii using HBC, click the Trinux launcher and watch the magic happen :).
Ninja_Carver created a swapfile on this image but I have yet to test it out myself (but hey they call this a beta for a reason) :P. When you're on the Trinux LXDE GUI Desktop hold down CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to the terminal then type these instructions to activate the swapfile to serve as virtual memory:
That disk image already has a swap partition.

swapon /dev/mmcblk0p3

Hit CTRL+ALT+F7 to switch back to the GUI once you're done.

You are going to want to use this otherwise things will run as slow as molasses and will eventually crawl to a halt as the vWii has very limited ram, which is all we have access to at the moment. Likely this won't change until this get ported over to full Wii U mode, instead of this altered vWii state. To port this over we will need a full blown exploit for Wii U mode first.

In this release you will also need to manually activate the internet. Make sure you are using a Wii/Wii U compatible LAN adapter to connect to the internet and you have this set as your default connection in the Wii U settings. Once you've booted into Trinux and you're on the LXDE desktop hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to switch to the terminal then type (YOU WILL NEED ROOT ACCESS TO DO THIS, either login as root-not the safest bet or use the sudo su command to temporarily gain root access):

dhclient eth0 and hit 'enter'

if all goes well, it will just jump to the next line where you can type another command, no output is given in this release, not sure what's going on with this.

Hit CTRL+ALT+F7 to switch back to the GUI once you're done.

Open Mozilla Firefox to make sure your connection is working, enjoy :).

Ninja_Carver if you could update the OP with this release when you have a chance, that would be amazing <3.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Side note: you will need to sign up for a 4shared account to download, no worries, its free and no survey/offer garbage :). Just sign up and off you go!

I neglected to mention, that none of this would be possible without the hardwork of Maxternal who discovered and developed the "race-attack" hardware exploit/flaw used to boot this :).

Also another side note: this WILL NOT run on an original Wii using the trinux launcher, it would take a bit of tweaking to get this to run on an original Wii :P.

Reactions: the_randomizer

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
I will likely make a torrent for this image as well in the future, but per the forum rules I am not allowed to post such a link here, even though this is a totally legal release. Forum rules forbid all torrent links regardless of what they point to.
Which forum rule prevents (legal) torrent links?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted +1