Hacking (vWii) - Tri-Core Linux

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is pretty dang impressive, running an emulator on Trinux as well as it does for now, huge step for sure! Heck, there's even audio from the emulator, which also is very awesome :D

Thanks! Again, all I did was installed the emulator and obtained those homebrew ROMS. Nothing else was needed to be done (other then activating the swap space ie virtual memory). :)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Again, all I did was installed the emulator and obtained those homebrew ROMS. Nothing else was needed to be done (other then activating the swap space ie virtual memory). :)

I wonder how something like Snes9x would fare under Trinux ;) :P Out of curiosity, how long does the memory last util it runs out? And with the swap spacing? Hopefully that can be overcome eventually.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how something like Snes9x would fare under Trinux ;) :P Out of curiosity, how long does the memory last util it runs out? And with the swap spacing? Hopefully that can be overcome eventually.
Okay snes9x is not going to work right until we increase the swap space size. As for memory lasting, it seems to be just fine when dloing nes emulation alone and nothing else. There's some minor lag from tkime to time but nothing major

Reactions: Relys

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay snes9x is not going to work right until we increase the swap space size. As for memory lasting, it seems to be just fine when dloing nes emulation alone and nothing else. There's some minor lag from tkime to time but nothing major

Ah fair enough, just wondering about Snes9x :D

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Very impressive TeamScriptKiddies! That's actually something I could see as useful coming out of this!

Thanks! Again, all I did was installed the emulator and obtained those homebrew ROMS.

Dude, wtf. No piracy with this exploit, good grief I thought this was already established.

Shit, this is V-Wii mode, eh? Damn, I thought that joke was pretty clever.

HOW2READ THREAD TITLES?!

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to point out that there is no reason for the image to be 8GB on disk when the partitions are still for a 2GB card. I'm testing a 2GB image that I've truncated from the 8GB download now and if that works I'll post the solution for it. The only reason it is 8GB currently is because you used dd on your 8GB SD card.

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply to myself but I had to go to a job and got sidetracked. Works perfectly on a 4GB SD card (which is all that I have but it should theoretically work fine elsewhere. The method to shrink the img is fairly simple but it requires linux.

Code:
Step 1: Get img and extract it.
open terminal and cd to directory of img with: cd /path/to/img

Step 2:
sudo fdisk -l trinux-1.0b.img
the output of this will show three partitions where the end of the of the third partition is what we are looking at.
in the case of trinux-1.0b the last line will read:
trinux-1.0b.img3 2713600 3762175 ...
THE IMPORTANT NUMBER IS THE 3762175, which is the last partition under the END column.

Step 3:
sudo truncate --size $[(3762175+1)*512] trinux-1.0b.img

That's all. In the case of this version, you would only have to run steps 1 and 3 because I did it for you but its good to future proof with step 2. You now have an image which should fit on a 2GB SD card; however, I only tested it on a 4GB myself because that's what I had. I will add though, it's pretty simple to adjust these partitions such that it would all fit on a 1GB SD card but I'm not sure what affect that would have on the swap.

Ninja_Carver

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply to myself but I had to go to a job and got sidetracked. Works perfectly on a 4GB SD card (which is all that I have but it should theoretically work fine elsewhere. The method to shrink the img is fairly simple but it requires linux.

Code:
Step 1: Get img and extract it.
open terminal and cd to directory of img with: cd /path/to/img

Step 2:
sudo fdisk -l trinux-1.0b.img
the output of this will show three partitions where the end of the of the third partition is what we are looking at.
in the case of trinux-1.0b the last line will read:
trinux-1.0b.img3 2713600 3762175 ...
THE IMPORTANT NUMBER IS THE 3762175, which is the last partition under the END column.

Step 3:
sudo truncate --size $[(3762175+1)*512] trinux-1.0b.img

That's all. In the case of this version, you would only have to run steps 1 and 3 because I did it for you but its good to future proof with step 2. You now have an image which should fit on a 2GB SD card; however, I only tested it on a 4GB myself because that's what I had. I will add though, it's pretty simple to adjust these partitions such that it would all fit on a 1GB SD card but I'm not sure what affect that would have on the swap.

Thank you, I've added those steps to the OP.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Furthermore, today I let Ninja_Carver remote into my machine again and I'm happy to say that Trinux Beta v1.4 is ready to go! Many exciting features will be in this release. First of all Ninja removed that TSK account as its completely unnecessary, the root account is still there (and its the only account accessible in this release, although USBmux daemon is still there lol). Feel free to create your own personal accounts blah blah blah and I highly recommend you change the default root password as well, unless you want somebody to trash you trinux setup.

moving right along, ninja also added the synaptic package manager to make installing applications much more user friendly (for those who fear the terminal :P) as well as adding the universe and multiverse repos so you can download a whole lot more stuff :). He also tweaked the filesystem and increased the size of the current swap file so that everything is running super smooth compared to how it was running prior :). Also he automated the internet and swap file activation as well, so there's no need to use the terminal for either of those two things. Just fire up trinux, log in and you're golden :).

I again, served primarily as a tester for this, most of the work was done by Ninja himself :). The only thing I added was FCEUX (nes emulator) which I showed off in previous videos. I AM NOT AND WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY NES ROMS WITH THIS EVER! Either dump your own cartridges (if legal in your country) or stick to free homebrew/public domain roms, or a combination of both (if legal). Most of all, have fun :).

I expect to have this latest release uploaded sometime later on tonight. I have to get ready for work, but sometime after I get out, I will likely start the upload process :)

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Furthermore, today I let Ninja_Carver remote into my machine again and I'm happy to say that Trinux Beta v1.4 is ready to go! Many exciting features will be in this release. First of all Ninja removed that TSK account as its completely unnecessary, the root account is still there (and its the only account accessible in this release, although USBmux daemon is still there lol). Feel free to create your own personal accounts blah blah blah and I highly recommend you change the default root password as well, unless you want somebody to trash you trinux setup.

moving right along, ninja also added the synaptic package manager to make installing applications much more user friendly (for those who fear the terminal :P) as well as adding the universe and multiverse repos so you can download a whole lot more stuff :). He also tweaked the filesystem and increased the size of the current swap file so that everything is running super smooth compared to how it was running prior :). Also he automated the internet and swap file activation as well, so there's no need to use the terminal for either of those two things. Just fire up trinux, log in and you're golden :).

I again, served primarily as a tester for this, most of the work was done by Ninja himself :). The only thing I added was FCEUX (nes emulator) which I showed off in previous videos. I AM NOT AND WILL NOT PROVIDE ANY NES ROMS WITH THIS EVER! Either dump your own cartridges (if legal in your country) or stick to free homebrew/public domain roms, or a combination of both (if legal). Most of all, have fun :).

I expect to have this latest release uploaded sometime later on tonight. I have to get ready for work, but sometime after I get out, I will likely start the upload process :)

Nice, really good news, please remember release a noob proof tutorial too :P

Reactions: tmv_josue

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, really good news, please remember release a noob proof tutorial too :P
Code:
Step 1: Install IOS254
Step 2: Use Win32DiskImager to install image to sd card.
Step 3: Put in wii u, run homebrew channel, and load linux.

Now that we have a noob tutorial, have fun. ;)

You only have to do the steps I mentioned earlier to shrink the image if you have a SD card of size < 8GB. Strictly speaking, the shrinking should be performed by whomever decides to release the image prior to release to make it easy on the end user. *hint hint*

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:

You only have to do the steps I mentioned earlier to shrink the image if you have a SD card of size < 8GB. Strictly speaking, the shrinking should be performed by whomever decides to release the image prior to release to make it easy on the end user. *hint hint*

Shrunken image, heh, yes, I agree.... ;) Linux is free to distribute anyways.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will release a shrunken iso too no worries :-). But first things first I will release the 8gb version first since its already ready to go and its. Working fine.

Unfortuantely I'm stuck at work longer then expected. We're super busy and understaffed. I'm doing two positions right now lol. Anyways I. Will get this ujploaded tonight just til later then expected ;-)

Code:

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the outrageous delay folks, I literally just got out of work! All I have to say is WHAT A NIGHT! lol.

Moving right along, i'm preparing to finally upload this now :)

UPDATE: Compressing.....

UPDATE 2: Uploading :)

UPDATE 3: Okay unfortunately, my connection with my file hosts server keeps resetting on me ><. I'm going to leave this uploading over night. Not sure whats going on here. My internet connection is working just fine, I think 4shared is experiencing technical issues at the moment. This is only a 566mb file (compressed) so it shouldn't be taking this long, nor should it be resetting over and over. Hopefully 4shared clears up the issues they're having while its uploading overnight. I will check the upload status tommorow morning (technically today, when i wake up XD)

UPDATE 4: Just rolled out of bed and its at 76% uploaded still XD. ETA is 28 mins left for the upload. Here's to hoping the connection doesn't reset again lol

UPDATE 5: Okay 4shared is just NOT working out at the moment. Its just stuck at 76% :(. I'm going to try uploading to another file host for now just to get this out there.

UPDATE 6: Uploading to fileom ETA about 2 hours because I don't have a premium account. Here's to hoping it actually works this time.

UPDATE 7: this is just not working, it froze with 39 mins left ><. I'm going to make it a torrent for now, I just won't provide the link here ;)

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trinux Beta 1.4 has been released as a torrent file :). Unfortunately, I can't provide the link here :(. I don't know what's going on with 4shared and fileom. I'm thinking something is up with my computer at this point. I posted the magnet link for this one on another forum. The mod over there should be adding it to the original release thread for our first beta shortly. Once that happens, you should be able to find it on google ;).

I will get it up on a file host ASAP so it can be linked to here as well.

rumblpak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trinux Beta 1.4 has been released as a torrent file :). Unfortunately, I can't provide the link here :(. I don't know what's going on with 4shared and fileom. I'm thinking something is up with my computer at this point. I posted the magnet link for this one on another forum. The mod over there should be adding it to the original release thread for our first beta shortly. Once that happens, you should be able to find it on google ;).

I will get it up on a file host ASAP so it can be linked to here as well.

Care to share the name of said forum? All I'm turning up is old versions of another project of the same name.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!