Gaming using a modded 3DS to modify a retail cartridge?

wyll001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well... I just so happened to find a random Toy Story 3 ds cart on the street (hey! it happens! I lost a Pokemon Y on the bus), and since I'd have no use for it, I just thought on changing the game that's on it...
I thought on putting my Pokemon SoulSilver on it and use it to PokeTransfer to B/W on an R4, is this possible? everyone knows the DS/3DS cartridges are re-writable, and you can easily change your save data between a retail cart and an R4, I don't have a USB dongle for it, but I have a fully modded 2DS with the latest stable built of (I think the name changed) Luma3ds with (I think that's the new framework) Bootstart9loader

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ROM does not work that way

Save data is different from application

There's a limited number of "card2" games that are stored on a single technically rewritable NAND flash chip, instead of (ROM + EEPROM for saves), but nobody managed to reprogram one

And this question isn't really new

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
and you can easily change your save data between a retail cart and an R4
save data you always can modify, and with a modded 3ds very easily. you can also do it with a DS phat\LITE. not sure if there is already homebrew available for the dsi
as for the rom nope you can't...

Pokemon SoulSilver on it and use it to PokeTransfer to B/W on an R4
if you get a soulsiver, yes you can use poketransfer in the r4
i don't remember very well but several ocasions the source must be a legit cartridge, but in the case of a gen 4 to gen 5 i don't think it does apply

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
but in the case of a gen 4 to gen 5 i don't think it does apply
The old game must be original (or just use PkHeX which is a lot faster and allows to copy instead of moving) since the new game tries to manually read the old one (then again I think most DS bootlegs get the save chip right)

wyll001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
if you get a soulsiver, yes you can use poketransfer in the r4
i don't remember very well but several ocasions the source must be a legit cartridge, but in the case of a gen 4 to gen 5 i don't think it does apply
my bad, I didn't gave enough detail, there are both on the same R4, that's the reason I want to upload it to a retail cartridge, not PokeTransfer, nor PKSM seems to detect a Pokemon game inside the R4 for obvious reasons
so I want to upload the game to a cartridge so the app can detect the game in the gamecart slot

Last edited by wyll001, , Reason: correcting names

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
my bad, I didn't gave enough detail, there are both on the same R4, that's the reason I want to upload it to a retail cartridge, not PokeTransfer, nor PKSM seems to detect a Pokemon game inside the R4 for obvious reasons
so I want to upload the game to a cartridge so the app can detect the game in the gamecart slot
just use a save editor in a pc

wyll001

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
just use a save editor in a pc
that's going out of topic.... it seems there no way to do that... I do have a DSi, a modded 2DS and a DS Lite... and even so no one seems to have been about to change the game on the cartridge itself even today!... I know that IS possible because you can rewrite a cartridge data with DLC flags, updates and code injections, but that appears to be unreachable for greater scale such as this, and maybe forever will be at the DS stage is today
please any moderator reading this far, close the topic because no further discussion can solve this...

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I know that IS possible because you can rewrite a cartridge data with DLC flags, updates and code injections, but that appears to be unreachable for greater scale such as this, and maybe forever will be at the DS stage is today
That's all done in the save, or in the case of the 3ds,in the SD card or a modded rom run in a flashcart, you can't modify ROMS in official carts.
Its impossible to mod an original cart, only the save is in a writable chip.
You can inject the Pokémon save in your official toy story cart if you want, but that's it..

If you don't have an access to a pc to use save editors, I can give you another option, share both games saves here (upload to file trip or other file share website) and tell us which Pokémons you want to move, some volunteer will glad help you

Another option is, send me a pm, I understand your language and can talk in your language if you are having a hard time with the language barrier

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.