Hacking Using 3d tv with 3ds but stuck on the highest 3d setting?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

In the video above, an embedded chip is used to "take" the signal the 3DS sends to its screen, de-interlace it into two separate pictures and send the result over USB to a PC where they are displayed - that's not an equivalent of connecting it to a TV. The pictures are upscaled via PC software which is also used to merge them once more so that the final picture can be viewed with traditional 3D glasses.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
In the video above, an embedded chip is used to "take" the signal the 3DS sends to its screen, de-interlace it into two separate pictures and send the result over USB to a PC where they are displayed - that's not an equivalent of connecting it to a TV. The pictures are upscaled via PC software which is also used to merge them once more so that the final picture can be viewed with traditional 3D glasses.

I know that. But then you can connect you PC to ur TV and thats it.

BTW the YouTuber Chuggaconroy did the same with its NDS(A mod to connect it directly to the TV) So IDK why you guys can't believe this guys. But Yeah Chugga has pics and proof.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I know that. But then you can connect you PC to ur TV and thats it.

BTW the YouTuber Chuggaconroy did the same with its NDS(A mod to connect it directly to the TV) So IDK why you guys can beleieve this guys. But Yeah Chugga has pics and proof.

*sighs* As I said, that's just generating the appropriate signal via a PC (or via an FPGA), the whole point of this conversation is that the OP claims he's managed to connect his system directly to a TV without modifying the 3DS's LCD signal at all and that should be taken with a pinch of salt as it would require 100% compatibility between the two screens or at least with the built-in scaler (most contemporary TV's have those).

...which is why some would love to see the rig, preferably as it's doing its magic.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So IDK why you guys can beleieve this guys. But Yeah Chugga has pics and proof.
Because that uses various adapters and a host PC. Not someone claiming to have soldered the broken remains of a 3ds to their TV yet can't figure out how the 3D works..

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Well. The Parallax Barrier is a "LCD" that can only be turned on or off to display a fixed pattern of black stripes. It is located below the normal LCD in order to direct the background light so each of your eyes sees a different set of vertical rows of pixels.
As soon as you slide up the 3D slider the barrier turns on, but it will not change if you slide it up further. The only thing that will happen, is that the currently running software will move the 2 "cameras" in the virtual 3D space further together or apart depending on if you moved it down or up.
The 3D depth is not controlled by mechanically changing the parallax barrier. That would not even increase/decrease the "strength" of the 3D image but only move it closer to you or further back into the screen.
Also as stated before in this thread this is why the strength of the 3D effect can't be changed in pre rendered videos. They are not rendered on the 3DS itself and thus have 2 fixed cameras that can't be changed afterwards.

You can also look at the teardown of iFixit. There you will see that there is no mechanical connection between the slider and the parallax barrier. And here you can read that "The two LCD panels were attached to each other with an adhesive film." So there is no way they can even move relative to each other

Finally, someone who understands!

Reactions: Daku93

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well. The Parallax Barrier is a "LCD" that can only be turned on or off to display a fixed pattern of black stripes. It is located below the normal LCD in order to direct the background light so each of your eyes sees a different set of vertical rows of pixels.

As soon as you slide up the 3D slider the barrier turns on, but it will not change if you slide it up further. The only thing that will happen, is that the currently running software will move the 2 "cameras" in the virtual 3D space further together or apart depending on if you moved it down or up.

The 3D depth is not controlled by mechanically changing the parallax barrier. That would not even increase/decrease the "strength" of the 3D image but only move it closer to you or further back into the screen.

Also as stated before in this thread this is why the strength of the 3D effect can't be changed in pre rendered videos. They are not rendered on the 3DS itself and thus have 2 fixed cameras that can't be changed afterwards.

You can also look at the teardown of iFixit. There you will see that there is no mechanical connection between the slider and the parallax barrier. And here you can read that "The two LCD panels were attached to each other with an adhesive film." So there is no way they can even move relative to each other

It's not just an LCD - there are several panels attached to the base LCD screen to increase luminescence and guide the light at appropriate angles. The second LCD alone would not cause the 3D effect, it plays the role of "darkening" a portion of the pixels underneath, but you are right, there isn't any mechanical connection.

gplO6xL.jpg

From the link you posted. Really nice read by the way, cool find.

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I…I seriously don’t know what to make of this response..

I came here to ask a quick question about how exactly the 3ds slider/parallax barrier works on the top screen; i.e. when you slide it up and down do both the left/right images have to be re-rendered, or is the parallax just increase so the two images are shifted further apart creating an illusion of more depth. If the latter is true, then it might mean I can use my expertise to work with it. There is surprisingly little information on how exactly the 3ds screen technology works.

I didn’t come into this thread trying to show off about my expertise, or extort money out of anyone for testing. I presumed that this kind of thing had been done before, and was giving experts on this forum some background information to help me out, with the presumption that someone had managed to emulate the 3DS’s OS and firmware on a desktop. I had no idea until someone kindly pm’d me that ROMs didn’t even exist for the 3DS (Kudos to Nintendo, that’s impressive for a 2 year old console).

If you’re looking to be some kind of Poirot or Sherlock figure for the forums that’s brilliant, but I really don’t like being labelled an enemy/liar when I simply come here looking for some answers. I mentioned PAL because I’m based in the UK and some portable devices sometimes include different hardware to their US counterparts. It was wrong of me to use this I apologise for making this mistake in terminology. I am frankly amazed that me mentioning the word ‘solder’ is some kind of alarm bell, as if it’s a one off non-skill used to make an LED light up once in second grade.

A few people are also acting as if I’d claimed to make some miraculous internally upscaled anti-aliased 3ds emulator, this is merely the beginning stages of a pet project that inevitably will also be done much better by someone incredibly more competent than me in the next 18 months. Unless I’ve done something completely wrong, I’ve been able to intermittantly produce (incredibly dark purple and glitchy) 1600x480 images, comprising of the two images side by side. If people want incrementle updates on what I’m doing that’s fine, and I’ll try and provide some schematics, but please don’t take out pitchforks on me when this isn’t/wasn’t even my initial intention.

ummn... so, no tutos for us?? :C I really wanted to watch my 3DS on TV u,u

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

I bought a PAL 3ds XL with a broken top screen off Ebay and hooked it up to my 3D tv (don't ask why, i'm an electrical engineer and a bit of a geek)

Unfortunately I can't seem to change the 'depth' of the 3d using the depth control option built into the tv firmware (akin to what you would normally with the 3D slider on the right of the top screen), instead it is stuck at the highest setting which looks slightly jarring on a 55" display .

Do you guys know if the 3d slider is software related - will it require a 3ds hack to be able to do this?

Thanks!
Awesome idea, woud love to try it, maybe a few pics might help ppl understa d and help u better, also dd u try 3d glasses and setting on your tv??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Confronts a nudist "Why be a nudist?" "I'm not a nudist you dick, I'm homeless and poor."
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I'm also saving 💰 . You know how much it is to just wash your clothes? pffffft
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I saved 1k this month by being poor tbh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Been eating Ramen all month, but my PC is badass!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ramen still delicious don't care how much money I'll have
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'm eating less, but mostly because I'm trying to avoid getting called heavy again during this year's health exam
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    There's only so many ways they can say "You're fat by our country's standards"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My cholesterol was almost 350 so really stopped going out lol
    [uploads some 🐟 for you] :D @Minox
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'll stick with my kimchi thank you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Triglycerides almost 900
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke