Hacking Hardware [New 3DS XL / LL] New IPS Panel Settings or Defective? (HWCAL0.dat / HWCAL1.dat)

BOGBUSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all!

I purchased a New 3DS LL with an IPS bottom screen. I then purchased a replacement top IPS screen and put it in the console. The new screen is noticeably dimmer and the 3D function doesn't work properly, though it does still function to an extent.

Reading online, it seems as though I need the HWCAL0.dat and HWCAL1.dat files from another dual IPS New 3DS XL or LL to properly calibrate my new screen as it seems my DS is still reading the old TN panel calibration settings.

I have been following another thread on here (I can't post links, it's called "N3DS XL IPS - HWCAL0.DAt and HWCAL1.DAt files") to try and get mine to work properly, but I do not have the proper files.
  • I have re-seated the cables 3 times just to make sure it wasn't something I did wrong
  • I have tried combining the files from 2 other DS's with a top-only IPS and a bottom-only IPS and it didn't work
  • I cannot tell if it's the files that are missing or if the screen is defective because my symptoms match every thread that discusses this file/calibration issue
  • I have compared it side-by-side to an OEM top IPS panel and something is definitely wrong
  • I've been working on this for days and am running out of ideas

My return window is up at the end of June for this replacement screen and I cannot tell if it's defective (return it) or I'm defective (the screen can be saved). Please help.

Thanks for your time!

hassanswag3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds pretty stressful... might sound stupid but are you 100% sure the new ips display is made for your exact console? Some people think you can swap displays between a 3ds xl and a NEW 3ds xl but they're are differences between them, maybe you've swapped displays between the two models?

BOGBUSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds pretty stressful... might sound stupid but are you 100% sure the new ips display is made for your exact console? Some people think you can swap displays between a 3ds xl and a NEW 3ds xl but they're are differences between them, maybe you've swapped displays between the two models?

I didn't see your reply, my apologies. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

It was definitely for my exact console. It was just a faulty screen, as far as I could tell. I returned it to the seller, put my functioning N3DS LL back together and I'm just playing it with the stock TN LCD.

It's a bummer but I can't find reputable IPS screens out there so I'll stick with what I've got for now.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see your reply, my apologies. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

It was definitely for my exact console. It was just a faulty screen, as far as I could tell. I returned it to the seller, put my functioning N3DS LL back together and I'm just playing it with the stock TN LCD.

It's a bummer but I can't find reputable IPS screens out there so I'll stick with what I've got for now.

You do need Hwcal of ips screen if you want to use ips screen.

BOGBUSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do need Hwcal of ips screen if you want to use ips screen.

Correct!

I found them. Several of them, from several sources actually. I tried them all and the screen itself wouldn't calibrate correctly. Neither the 3D nor the color-grading worked properly.

Like I said, as near as I could tell with my skills/situation, the screen itself was not fully functioning.

Luckily I returned it and rebuilt my 3DS (for like the 13th time) successfully.

I've given up for now until I can find a reputable source of IPS screens (so probably never at this point).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?