Hacking Using 3d tv with 3ds but stuck on the highest 3d setting?

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
want to see pics also

now to made the bottom part wireless and you have a Smaller less powerful WiiU lol

or even better yet make it work with a wii u controller ,wii u controller functions as the bottom screen ,touch screen analog and buttons and top screen is the 3d tv, now that would be cool

seriously though i think he came to the wrong place to ask such a question, but if he had developed such a device maybe he should get on the horn to a chineese manufacturer and see about how much it would cost to go to commercial production

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
And isn't the technology for 3d tvs and glassless handheld devices essentially the same, only the 3d shutters are built into the screen instead of the 3d glasses?
Nope, completely different, hd tv 3d display 1 picture for each eye at a time while the 3ds vertically interlace both picture at the same time

I also call it fake since I believe (looking at the interface from spare parts picture) that both left and right picture are sent as one meaning that displaying the output on an other screen would give a blurry mess and that some extra hardware is needed. However the answer he gave to Fast about the extra hardware make him sound as if he is completely oblivious of such things.

also the question about the 3d depth control is pretty bad, it's well known the the depth is controlled via a slider which should be a potentiometer.

I'm not an expert on electrical engineering, so i'll say it can be plausible for such expert to not be versed in fpga and computer hardware, but to not knowing about potentiometer seems like a deadly sin.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were able to hook up your 3DS's top screen to the TV, I'd love to see how you did it, too. You can try changing the 3D depth by going to your 3DS's Settings -> Other Settings -> 3D Screen Check to choose the best 3D depth for your screen.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sorry to say, but you're just plain wrong.
There is no way to mechanically change the depth of a 3D image. The depth of the 3D image is a function of the difference in perspective of the two 2D images that make it up.
To change the depth you have to change the point of view of at least one of the two 2D images, which means re-rendering the image, which is a software operation.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2628/paral.gif

please. dont tell me i dont know how that works. you can do that yourself. its a simple parallax barrier that moves...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi there,

I bought a PAL 3ds XL with a broken top screen off Ebay and hooked it up to my 3D tv (don't ask why, i'm an electrical engineer and a bit of a geek)

Unfortunately I can't seem to change the 'depth' of the 3d using the depth control option built into the tv firmware (akin to what you would normally with the 3D slider on the right of the top screen), instead it is stuck at the highest setting which looks slightly jarring on a 55" display .

Do you guys know if the 3d slider is software related - will it require a 3ds hack to be able to do this?

Thanks!
Eh, your 3D TV needs glasses I assume but the 3DS screen not. Either way, you probably won't get anywhere with this I'm afraid.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why? The 3DS is region locked and our region IS technically called PAL so its not wrong?

It's 100% wrong. PAL refers to Phase Alternating Line, it's a type of a TV signal, it has nothing to do with region locking. It's not technically called PAL, it's not called PAL and you won't find that marking anywhere on the box it came in or on the system. If anything, it's an EUR 3DS.

No I didn't use a capture card because the resolution is bottlenecked by top screen when the hardware can produce a picture with 4x the resolution of the top screen
No it can't. It can produce an 800x240 picture which consists of two 400x240 pictures interlaced with each other. This is fixed and unchangable - no other signal is sent to the LCD.
(I presume the same must be true for the bottom screen being 320x240 QVGA, since the camera's output is 640x480),
So I take it that if my phone has an 8 megapixel camera then the hardware must be capable of rendering 8 megapixel pictures? No. Static images can be scaled down, the resolution of the camera is irrelevant here.
instead i had to rely on a lot of spare parts and soldering.
Thanks for the answer Fyrus
Yeah, I'm not buying this. Like, at all. Unless you were incredibly lucky and found a compatible LCD display, it still wouldn't be full screen (which requires the use of a scaler unless you somehow connected the 3DS to the built-in scaler, but then you still have the interlacing problem) without the use of some sort of FPGA.

I'm calling myth until I see some footage.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Doesnt change anything that depending on the coutnry where he is from its still called PAL region. I know for a fact that WE do call it PAL region over here.. since, you know, i live here...

edit: also, i'm out of this thread. case closed for all I care.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Doesnt change anything that depending on the coutnry where he is from its still called PAL region. I know for a fact that WE do call it PAL region over here.. since, you know, i fucking live here...

That's cute. It's still correct nomenclature applied in the wrong case. I'm from Europe myself and the term "PAL Region" is indeed used... in reference to television and all that revolves around television.

The 3DS is a handheld console, it's not connected to the TV, it doesn't broadcast a tv signal, it doesn't in any way generate one, it doesn't follow TV standards like, say, television sets, DVD or BluRay players and other TV accessories and as such, PAL, NTSC or even SECAM does not refer to it.

There's no such thing as a PAL or an NTSC 3DS, there never has been and there never will be. The region lockout implemented is a Nintendo invention and does not follow the PAL/NTSC division at all. The 3DS is divided into five main regions - North American (USA), European/Australian (EUR/AUS), Japanese (JAP) and a weird "side region" for Korea (KOR).

edit: also, i'm out of this thread. case closed for all I care.
Presistance in being wrong despite overwhelming evidence is the worst kind, y'know.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2628/paral.gif

please. dont tell me i dont know how that works. you can do that yourself. its a simple parallax barrier that moves...
The parallax barrier is most likely a black and white lcd screen, hence it can be controlled by software. And it is definetely controlled by software, in New Super Mario Bros. 2 when you move the 3d slider up the backgrounds gets blurry to better simulate a distant background, something that can't be done by simply manipulating a parallax barrier.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The parallax barrier is most likely a black and white lcd screen, hence it can be controlled by software. And it is definetely controlled by software, in New Super Mario Bros. 2 when you move the 3d slider up the backgrounds gets blurry, something that can't be done by manipulating a parallax barrier.
The parallax barrier is a set of slits. It can be controlled by software, but it's a piece of hardware. There is a new technology similar to what you're discribing, it's based on liquid crystal lenses which are electrosensitive hence can be controlled. That kind of a panel is placed on-top of a traditional LCD and in conjunction they create the 3D effect.

envgc9I.jpg

EDIT: You were right - there is indeed a secondary LCD panel stuck onto the bottom one as well as a set of other components like I assumed there'd be. Truth somewhere in the middle, as per usual. :P

ilovesharks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I…I seriously don’t know what to make of this response..

I came here to ask a quick question about how exactly the 3ds slider/parallax barrier works on the top screen; i.e. when you slide it up and down do both the left/right images have to be re-rendered, or is the parallax just increase so the two images are shifted further apart creating an illusion of more depth. If the latter is true, then it might mean I can use my expertise to work with it. There is surprisingly little information on how exactly the 3ds screen technology works.

I didn’t come into this thread trying to show off about my expertise, or extort money out of anyone for testing. I presumed that this kind of thing had been done before, and was giving experts on this forum some background information to help me out, with the presumption that someone had managed to emulate the 3DS’s OS and firmware on a desktop. I had no idea until someone kindly pm’d me that ROMs didn’t even exist for the 3DS (Kudos to Nintendo, that’s impressive for a 2 year old console).

If you’re looking to be some kind of Poirot or Sherlock figure for the forums that’s brilliant, but I really don’t like being labelled an enemy/liar when I simply come here looking for some answers. I mentioned PAL because I’m based in the UK and some portable devices sometimes include different hardware to their US counterparts. It was wrong of me to use this I apologise for making this mistake in terminology. I am frankly amazed that me mentioning the word ‘solder’ is some kind of alarm bell, as if it’s a one off non-skill used to make an LED light up once in second grade.

A few people are also acting as if I’d claimed to make some miraculous internally upscaled anti-aliased 3ds emulator, this is merely the beginning stages of a pet project that inevitably will also be done much better by someone incredibly more competent than me in the next 18 months. Unless I’ve done something completely wrong, I’ve been able to intermittantly produce (incredibly dark purple and glitchy) 1600x480 images, comprising of the two images side by side. If people want incrementle updates on what I’m doing that’s fine, and I’ll try and provide some schematics, but please don’t take out pitchforks on me when this isn’t/wasn’t even my initial intention.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I came here to ask a quick question about how exactly the 3ds slider/parallax barrier works on the top screen; i.e. when you slide it up and down do both the left/right images have to be re-rendered, or is the parallax just increase so the two images are shifted further apart creating an illusion of more depth. If the latter is true, then it might mean I can use my expertise to work with it. There is surprisingly little information on how exactly the 3ds screen technology works.
It's quite simple and akin to the plastic "3D pictures" you see on for example post cards. Unlike most LCD's, the 3DS LCD has rectangular pixels rather than square ones. This can be seen under a microscope.

G9CJKmy.jpg

Now, imagine the parallax barrier as a set of slits. The slits move along the screen, across the pixels - their sides reflect light created by the pixels at pre-set angles. Depending on the angle, the FOV changes, increasing the perceived depth of the picture. The two images generated by the system are interlaced - when the parallax slits move across the screen, the "strips" of each image become either wider or narrower, again causing a change in the perceived depth. That's really there is to it.

EDIT: Apparently those "slits" are generated by a secondary LCD panel stuck above the main one as well as a set of "lens-like" panels, photo further in the thread.

I didn’t come into this thread trying to show off about my expertise, or extort money out of anyone for testing. I presumed that this kind of thing had been done before, and was giving experts on this forum some background information to help me out, with the presumption that someone had managed to emulate the 3DS’s OS and firmware on a desktop. I had no idea until someone kindly pm’d me that ROMs didn’t even exist for the 3DS (Kudos to Nintendo, that’s impressive for a 2 year old console).
Nobody has managed to successfuly emulate the 3DS yet.

If you’re looking to be some kind of Poirot or Sherlock figure for the forums that’s brilliant, but I really don’t like being labelled an enemy/liar when I simply come here looking for some answers. I mentioned PAL because I’m based in the UK and some portable devices sometimes include different hardware to their US counterparts. It was wrong of me to use this I apologise for making this mistake in terminology. I am frankly amazed that me mentioning the word ‘solder’ is some kind of alarm bell, as if it’s a one off non-skill used to make an LED light up once in second grade.
Portable devices in the UK may very well have slightly different hardware than devices from other countries, but never in reference to the signal used unless they connect to a television set. ;)

A few people are also acting as if I’d claimed to make some miraculous internally upscaled anti-aliased 3ds emulator, this is merely the beginning stages of a pet project that inevitably will also be done much better by someone incredibly more competent than me in the next 18 months. Unless I’ve done something completely wrong, I’ve been able to intermittantly produce (incredibly dark purple and glitchy) 1600x480 images, comprising of the two images side by side. If people want incrementle updates on what I’m doing that’s fine, and I’ll try and provide some schematics, but please don’t take out pitchforks on me when this isn’t/wasn’t even my initial intention.

I'd love to see that in action if it's true, but I will remain sceptical. The 3DS hardware may very well render at varied resolutions, but the end result after the LCD signal goes through scaling is always 2x 400x240. ;)

Daku93

Trophies
Website
usrcheat.cwsurf.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well. The Parallax Barrier is a "LCD" that can only be turned on or off to display a fixed pattern of black stripes. It is located below the normal LCD in order to direct the background light so each of your eyes sees a different set of vertical rows of pixels.
As soon as you slide up the 3D slider the barrier turns on, but it will not change if you slide it up further. The only thing that will happen, is that the currently running software will move the 2 "cameras" in the virtual 3D space further together or apart depending on if you moved it down or up.
The 3D depth is not controlled by mechanically changing the parallax barrier. That would not even increase/decrease the "strength" of the 3D image but only move it closer to you or further back into the screen.
Also as stated before in this thread this is why the strength of the 3D effect can't be changed in pre rendered videos. They are not rendered on the 3DS itself and thus have 2 fixed cameras that can't be changed afterwards.

You can also look at the teardown of iFixit. There you will see that there is no mechanical connection between the slider and the parallax barrier. And here you can read that "The two LCD panels were attached to each other with an adhesive film." So there is no way they can even move relative to each other

Reactions: exangel

Saturosias

thank
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[something about "OP claiming to use an emulator", since he can't read, etc. -- he edited the post and thus I cannot quote]

Erm... he never said he was using an emulator, he said he presumed that the technology had been reverse-engineered to the point of emulation and, thus, understanding after two years on shelf:

I presumed [...] that someone had managed to emulate the 3DS’s OS and firmware on a desktop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse