Should I use Linux instead of Windows?

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I'm using Windows 8.1 and I heard Linux is a lot better, and I saw that everyone here uses Linux, but i'm afraid of switching to Linux since i'm very used to Windows, and i have understood a lot of programs arent compatible with Linux and you have to write code to install the ones that are compatible

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can i use a virtual machine?
A virtual machine is not very efficient for any CPU intensive operating system. Unless you are running on anything higher than an Intel i7 and 16GB of RAM maybe, no?

Reactions: Kioku

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes, I would advise this if you're completely new just to sample it.

I knew someone who accidentally nuked their data drive once when installing Ubuntu, easily avoided btw.

As for what is better, at the risk of sounding like a lawyer, I go with 'it depends'.

I tend to use a mix of Windows and Linux depending on my needs because not everything I want to use is Linux compatible (even with Proton or WINE) and some of the alternatives I have issues with for one reason or another.

But then some people don't have this issue and are completely fine with what does work on Linux and prefer the flexibility Linux can provide.

Then there's things such as resource usage, with Linux generally regarded as being 'lighter' than Windows, particularly useful on older or weaker hardware.

you have to write code to install the ones that are compatible

I think you're thinking of 'compile from source', which shouldn't requiring writing any code and usually instructions are provided.

Besides, this isn't always the case where software may be available in pre-compiled package form (e.g. the distros repo) or something like Flatpak.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I do love Linux operating system! I don't hate Linux operating system. I used my old computer with Windows 7 to use virtual machine like VMware WorkStation Pro to try install Linux Mint to test it. I like Linux Mint a lot because it's easy to use compare to Windows. Also don't forget use Wine program to allow running Windows programs and games on Linux operating system. I not afraid of Linux operating system and get very useful to learning some time to time.

Linux is not bad operating system, just awesome good Linux operating system! I love it. ;):wub:

Anytime in near future when Windows operating systems which are going to bad, crash, freeze due to bad Windows updates then we can delete Windows operating system to replace into Linux. Cheers B-)

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To start use whatever you feel the most comfotable with and then move on to the next thing you want to learn.
You'll find that Windows and Linux each have strengths and weaknesses.
Highly suggest moving on from Windows 8 because it aint so great.
Window10 can run well on most systems.
Try to get the most power computer you can.
This will open up virtual machine options and then you can learn even more faster.
Anyway. Have fun!

outdoorcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Windows 8.1 and I heard Linux is a lot better, and I saw that everyone here uses Linux, but i'm afraid of switching to Linux since i'm very used to Windows, and i have understood a lot of programs arent compatible with Linux and you have to write code to install the ones that are compatible
What programs do you depend on? What is the primary use of your computer.

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest using Linux if you want to learn a new o/s or if you want to learn Unix commands and maybe want to code using command line (terminal) and maybe even use shell scripting. It's a pretty powerful o/s when you know how to use it but I've forgotten about half the things including how to code in C++ lol.

Easiest operating systems to use of course are going to be Windows and Mac OSX. Really depends on what you want to do with the O/S I guess.

Reactions: ELY_M

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I knew someone who accidentally nuked their data drive once when installing Ubuntu, easily avoided btw.
Mentioning the previous thread at this point.
It can't be repeated too often: Backup your data!

It is easily avoided and the Ubuntu installer is very good. But humans make mistakes. When working with a partitioning program there is a high risk of losing everything on a drive.
=============

I'm happy Linux user since 2006 and never looked back after some time of getting used to a different OS. That doesn't say "Linux is better". Never understood those people arguing which OS is "better". Just try multiple OS and see what you like most and what works best for you.

Virtual Machines are a great way of experimenting with more or less zero risks. The overhead is manageable, especially when CPU (and BIOS) support virtualization which should be the case on all CPUs for way more than a decade.
On weak computers with little RAM: Do not run more than one VM at a time.

Your CPU supports basic virtualization (at the bottom of the following page):
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-processor-n2830-1m-cache-up-to-2-41-ghz.html

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Pyrode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id dualboot linux and windows. And yes, alot of programs are not compatible with linux. But it depends on the distro

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Okay, I made a virtual machine with Linux Mint Mate and I got some kind of error when installing
1704496470902.png

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I made a virtual machine with Linux Mint Mate and I got some kind of error when installing
View attachment 412279

Is this when booting from the iso or after installation?

Double check the hash of the iso and what config did you use? E.g Ubuntu 64bit, 2GB+ RAM, etc.

"init" is the process from which all other processes are executed from, so this is a failure early in the boot process.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone here is talking about how I can dual boot Linux and Windows.

I bought a damn MacBook Pro S3, so naturally I have Linux and Windows running as virtual machines using UTM for Apple. Don't forget that you do not have to dual boot. You can run them as virtual machine!!

Xdqwerty65 got it figured out!!​

KleinesSinchen did as well!!​

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone