Torrent client?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a problem with uTorrent. They added advertisements, but they can be disabled by unchecking "Show Plus Information" and by going into Advanced Settings, searching "sponsored" and setting it to "false."

However, Tribler might have a bright future.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a problem with uTorrent. They added advertisements, but they can be disabled by unchecking "Show Plus Information" and by going into Advanced Settings, searching "sponsored" and setting it to "false."

However, Tribler might have a bright future.
It may have a bright future, but right now it's only providing a decentralized search, the actual transfer of files still retrieves IP addresses. It's also currently lacking encryption support, so those on torrent clients that have their connection set to encrypted traffic only will not communicate with you.

See: http://www.tribler.org/trac/wiki/faq#IsTribleranonymous

It may be awesome in the future, but I'll wait until it is to consider it.

Edit: @Rydian under the options, in preferences
ibguxEvH7dzjuK.png

Edit 2: I'd also recommend looking through this guide on how to setup uTorrent.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know very little about this kind of stuff (not saying I have never used uTorrent in my life), so I may be wrong, but I suspect that the file deletion was caused by another program you had installed, probably an AV one.
This was also my suspicion. As far as I'm aware, uTorrent has never done what Rydian suggested. If it did, then I'm not sure what I would switch to.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't my AV, I'm using Avast and all of it's notices are in the bottom-right (except for the heuristics-triggered sandbox notice, but that's skinned anyways). The notice was in a standard-skinned message box in the center of the screen. I don't know which version of uTorrent it was, but it was after the skin/UI change, but there weren't any ads yet (and I had been using uTorrent for ages beforehand without it happening).

I went and downloaded the same torrent with Deluge afterwards (since uTorrent wouldn't take it), and it didn't happen there, so I don't think it was a third-party program (I set deluge to the same download folder too).

And I don't know why Deluge was ignoring the "do not download" marker, but I'm on Windows.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i just updated to utorrent 3.2.2 and it now has a "featured torrent" advertisement bar on the very top. if you install it fresh it will also try to install 2 adware applications.

First an offer to install the uTorrent Browser Bar, to make uTorrent Web Search the default search provider and set all browser homepages to uTorrent Web Search, and second a third party offer to install another software on the system.

to turn off the advert bar just do the following:
Options -> Preference -> advanced -> offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled -> false -> re-open UT -> DONE!!

hopefully they keep that option in future updates =P

-another world

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Sounds like you just had a virus, U Torrent has never done that as far as I am aware

EDIT:
Btw I dont mean you downloaded a virus and your anti virus removed it, i mean it may have been a virus posing as U torrent (no idea why it would)

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Get a seedbox. Best thing I've invested in for a while.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking for a new torrent client.

• Why not BT? - It sold out ages ago.
  • Why not uTorrent? - Same thing. Nowadays it "filters" "unwanted" material (i.e. deletes recognized pirated content after it's downloaded).
  • Why not Deluge? - Deluge doesn't understand the concept of "do not download". I downloaded a discography, and I had marked entire folders as "do not download" (as I did not want those albums) when loading up the .torrent file. Even though they were marked, a lot of the data was still downloaded. I'm talking an entire 6 songs out of a 22-disc album were downloaded in their entirety even though they were marked "do not download". This wastes bandwidth, as well as requires me to go manually trim out a lot of crap, including unfinished/corrupt files that it started downloading and then stopped before they were done. This is obviously incorrect behavior but the client has
  • Why not (250MB RAM usage Java client)? - I'm looking for a torrent client, not a huge software suite that just happens to do torrents as well.
Advanced features (WebUI, etc.) not required. I just need a torrent client that's up-to-date (can handle DHT and other such modern connection features) and can download what I tell it to (fuck you uTorrent), and not download what I tell it to ignore (tired of waiting for Deluge to fix the issue).

Wait what? What do you mean??

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay this is a hell of a necro, but I got the notice again.

http://s10.postimg.org/pilyzqgg7/finally_happened_again.png
As you can see, it IS from uTorrent itself deeming the torrent as unsafe when it finished.
(Insert "See I'm not crazy!" here.)

Thankfully recent versions of utorrent do not automatically delete the file for you.
Instead clicking "Tell me more" leads to the standard Plus upgrade thing.
http://s28.postimg.org/gjvmd8zyz/plus_ad.png

However now uTorrent will not allow me to seed that torrent since it deemed it as unsafe.
0 seeds, 0 peers, ETA is an infinity symbol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: