Hacking The Wii, officially hacked

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
More difficult, but not impossible if we can find a way to completely access Wii NAND. I don't see what good could come from doing that, though
unsure.gif

NAND means nothing in this context. You mean firmware. There are probably plently NAND devices inside the Wii....

Anyhow.. access to the firmware would allow for softmodding I suppose. Use a drive with a chip to bootstrap this code, change the firmware, put normal drive back in. But the firmware is probably, like the discs, signed.... if you had access to the firmware you wouldn't reflash it to change the region anyhow, you'd disassemble the firmware, take out a few branches here and there disabling the region lockout totally.

Kyokokoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Would this mean that games which do not work on a different region console because of the language not being supported (e.g. SMG, Trauma center etc.) could be somehow hacked to good end?

Are you talking of games like Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX? Then yes, it could be possible, with something like GCOS.
Even better, could the firmware be decrypted, and if so, be replaced so that we could have a Jap wii with Us firmware, for example?
More difficult, but not impossible if we can find a way to completely access Wii NAND. I don't see what good could come from doing that, though
unsure.gif

Well, if we were to replace the firmware completely games that do not run because of absence of a supported language would not need to be hacked at all. And as a bonus, comprehensible menus, channels etc. It's not a matter of region locking, as I understand it. I don't really know if a different region firmware would work altogether, though. If it would, it would mean that we could have cheaper wiis without disadvantages, basically; or wouldn't it? I guess it's just wishful thinking on my part.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So am i to assume correctly, that this technically does the same thing to the wii as a passme (ie: passcard3 or superkey) does to the DS? So we skipped past the whole piggy-backing deal?
tongue.gif

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could this possibly lead to...... BOMBERMAN ONLINE??? YES PLEASE!!!!

Or.... an awesome massive online multiplayer, like a 3rdPS??? YES PLEASE!!!!!

But honestly, I just want a port of Bomberman online (PC and dreamcast ver with more modes).

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So am i to assume correctly, that this technically does the same thing to the wii as a passme (ie: passcard3 or superkey) does to the DS? So we skipped past the whole piggy-backing deal?
tongue.gif

No, original passme's make the NDS branch to somewhere in the GBA rom address space .. they "pass" execution over to the code there, circumventing the protection. The newer devices are "nopass", someone (he wrote an emu
wink.gif
) worked out the encryption for the slot1 stuff so that no longer needs to happen.... basically this hack isn't going to let you get around the disc authentication in the wii.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
unsure.gif

NAND means nothing in this context. You mean firmware. There are probably plently NAND devices inside the Wii....
I was referring to NAND, and it means a lot, because there are not plenty of NAND devices in the Wii. Please list them, if there are a lot.

And the firmware IS contained inside the NAND. Please go see Infectus' Wii NAND flasher for that.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Cant wait for more!

If they have the encryption keys then we now got everything we need for shareing VC games
biggrin.gif

Now i just keep my fingers crossed for there will be a "soft" modchip made!

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
first very important question

1) does this make my wii now awesome beer machine ? i can make homebrew with wii? i dont understand what is this homebrew you keep talking about, i only make liquid moonshine at home

2) how many stupids kids pissed into their pants? all who read topics or just starter or 50% ?

3) is here some kewl experts who can explain me how can i make my lego star wars go like that awesome screen. i wanna play!

4) how many clueless morons are at internet ? at gbatemp.net ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
first very important question

1) does this make my wii now awesome beer machine ? i can make homebrew with wii? i dont understand what is this homebrew you keep talking about, i only make liquid moonshine at home

2) how many stupids kids pissed into their pants? all who read topics or just starter or 50% ?

3) is here some kewl experts who can explain me how can i make my lego star wars go like that awesome screen. i wanna play!

4) how many clueless morons are at internet ? at gbatemp.net ?

1)Your modchip is probably able to do that already so you can leave the wii alone: http://www.anotherurl.com/therm/logger.htm

3) The kind fellow on the video already did.

4) That one I can not answer, you may be able to determine something from the algorithm discussed here though: http://www.ninjapirate.com/girlsQuestionMark.html (browse to the end of the page for a more pertinent implementation.

sabatino

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*news update*
biggrin.gif

wiinewz said:
xt5 and CyBeR have provided WiiNewz with more information coming out of the 24C3 conference...
- They got the wii keys, and we could use them without hacking our wii again.
- This hack requires a drive modchip to execute the code.
- There is not any tool to sign the code, but it's coming soon.
- They are working to access to the SD thought EXI.
- There is not any stack homebrew for bluetooth
- A linux port for Wii will be released easily.

Gangsta_L

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
*news update*Â
biggrin.gif

wiinewz said:
xt5 and CyBeR have provided WiiNewz with more information coming out of the 24C3 conference...
- They got the wii keys, and we could use them without hacking our wii again.
- This hack requires a drive modchip to execute the code.
- There is not any tool to sign the code, but it's coming soon.
- They are working to access to the SD thought EXI.
- There is not any stack homebrew for bluetooth
- A linux port for Wii will be released easily.
Too bad you still need a modchip to run the hack. But the rest of it looks interesting
biggrin.gif

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can chips like cyclowiz be used?
Well actually stupid to ask as probably i know as mutch as others.. Nothing

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
Just relized, this could lead to easy online melee..

people have already made it that u can LAN melee using PSO1&2 and broadband connector, but with wii having built in wifi.. would be so much easier that everyone could do it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU +1