REZ ON Wii!
REZ ON Wii!
REZ ON Wii!
REZ ON Wii!
REZ ON Wii!
REZ ON Wii!
REZ ON Wii!

Imagine it... wow.

But yeah... Do you think that homebrew will have it's own intro menu? Like how you select the channel and there is a snall video/image of the game? Similar to how Lego Star Wars was on the screen in that youtube video.

Supertag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonofwaffle.gif
this is an important breakthrough

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
I thought the Wii uses a public/private key system where the decryption key is public (on the disk) and the encryption key is only known by Nintendo. Is that not the case?

you're partly correct
check here

Then how could the encryption key have been found? Doesn't it defeat the point if the private key is findable.

Yeah, it would make no sense for the private/signing key to be in memory. I'm thinking it could be the key used used for total disc encryption. No way they'd use asymmetrical for that, right? And the discs are apparently encrypted somehow, probably with a block cipher that used a PRNG in such a way that the images can't be compressed very well if at all. And perhaps some games, like Lego Star Wars, execute code from unsigned (or at least unchecked) files. Does Nintendo have any quality control to prevent such things like Microsoft does?
Or maybe they got the disc encryption key and used some sort of exploit.

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read one post in this topic but I can assure everyone that this event has made me decide to get a modchip. Not right away, but later when more are available that work with the new homebrew,

NaTaS69

Trophies
Website
gba-tavern.pt.vu
XP
Country
That being said, what do we expect to come out of this conference on Sunday?  Will the guy that was presenting in the video (oh please no) present more witty banter about the Wii? 

Yes.

Will the keys be shared?

Not at public.

Will homebrew developers be able to start working right away with the information from the discussion?

If anybody cares and have all the info, sure.

QUOTE(bobitos @ Dec 30 2007, 12:16 AM)
Do we have a timeline of when we expect homebrew applications and "hacks" to start appearing?

Next year.
laugh.gif

darkgunsou86

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hopefully a way to circumvent the unknown protection that prevents Fire Emblem and Dragonball Z BT3 on the japanese wii will be found. not to mention cooking mama, big brain academy,dewy's adventure,SMG and countless others with other sorts of problems on different region Wiis. and that Japanese content in US games like REUC and trauma center. maybe like some sort of universal custom firmware that really blows it wide open like the PSP. really wish there is an equivalent hacker like Dark Alex on the wii side. it will be cool to somehow change the Jap Wii to a US Wii by replacing the firmware. likewise US firmware to PAL console to get rid of all the pesky problems.

Now just when will PS3 get hacked or has it......

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought the Wii uses a public/private key system where the decryption key is public (on the disk) and the encryption key is only known by Nintendo. Is that not the case?

you're partly correct
check here

Then how could the encryption key have been found? Doesn't it defeat the point if the private key is findable.

Yeah, it would make no sense for the private/signing key to be in memory. I'm thinking it could be the key used used for total disc encryption. No way they'd use asymmetrical for that, right? And the discs are apparently encrypted somehow, probably with a block cipher that used a PRNG in such a way that the images can't be compressed very well if at all. And perhaps some games, like Lego Star Wars, execute code from unsigned (or at least unchecked) files. Does Nintendo have any quality control to prevent such things like Microsoft does?

Damn it are you stupid?
It takes total sense, otherwise Wii can't decrypt there own things it needs the key inside the wii

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
sleep.gif

Again, back on topic:
to Bobitos:
No, i don't think the normal console dev's would develope anything right away, as theres no libraries at the moment.
The more "hardcore" ones would probably make something, aswell as someone might start making a library, for the normal people.

I don't really know if its the same thing, but I remember that one private torrent site has laeked Wii's dev tools. Version was something 2.0 or something like that.

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

you're partly correct
check here

Damn it are you stupid?
It takes total sense, otherwise Wii can't decrypt there own things it needs the key inside the wii

You don't need to be rude. It just makes you look like a 10 year old.

What I think the other guy's saying is that it doesn't make sense to have both the public and private key in the firmware. All they need is the key to decrypt the DVDs.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... you said the magic word tho... "leaked."

If you use their SDK its illegal... 'cause nintendo owns the SDK.

If Homebrew authors make their own libraries, then homebrew is legal, 'cause some uber skilled d00d (i haven't used leetspeak in so long... no wonder
tongue.gif
) made their own library instead of using Nintendo's $15000 SDK. (Even if it is horribly outdated)

Well, that's my understanding of it anyways

James B.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... you said the magic word tho... "leaked."

If you use their SDK its illegal... 'cause nintendo owns the SDK.

If Homebrew authors make their own libraries, then homebrew is legal, 'cause some uber skilled d00d (i haven't used leetspeak in so long... no wonder
tongue.gif
) made their own library instead of using Nintendo's $15000 SDK. (Even if it is horribly outdated)

Well, that's my understanding of it anyways

Lol, not being rude, just found that the SDK actually costs $1700, not $15000. Everything on the wii is cheaper!
smile.gif

EDIT: Got the number wrong, stupid me.

Willemoke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
there wasn't anything about the wii in the live streams, I've watched the whole time, but not once did something about the wii appear, was I watching the wrong stream?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No offense taken. That was from memory... wonder where i got 15k from...

and by chance are the streams being saved so i can watch them later? (My comps dont do well with streams)

jesushchrist

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
there wasn't anything about the wii in the live streams, I've watched the whole time, but not once did something about the wii appear, was I watching the wrong stream?

You didn't listen close enough. At one time, the presenter dude said something like "State of homebrew for the W I I". No one entered the scene, so he went on to the next speech.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

You didn't listen close enough. At one time, the presenter dude said something like "State of homebrew for the W I I". No one entered the scene, so he went on to the next speech.

no one entered? Maybe ninty got to them
tongue.gif

Willemoke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:

ok, thanks. I'll try to listen better next time, is stil a shame though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, so one the salesman told him would get him bitches
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    In my experience women like a big shift stick with lots of power.
    Something that really burns rubbers
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing a nice car will get you is a gold digger. What happened to falling in love, no matter if I'm on a bus, or driving a nice car. No offense tho, I do like nice cars.
    +1
    Nothing like tearing ass up on a back road
    BigOnYa I think narcissism has all but killed love
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I think I can agree on that.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People tend to think look at everything I have gains attention but ends up making them look worse for what it is
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out