Hacking The Wii, officially hacked

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well once again as someone has said, it depends on what Datel uses to get their product to boot in relation to the game code. So if they use a retail game that they aren't going to block like Zelda then Nintendo can't really do much.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, seems like a lot of ppl have made their first post in this topic. I bet tons of people read this topic and couldn't help inserting their 2 cents, I would've if I hadn't joined already. I smell a steep increase in # of members and a new record for 'most members on GBAtemp at once'
laugh.gif

I hope there will be some kind of boot disc from a retail game to softmod wii's. Much easier than a modchip installation, and much less hassle.
happy.gif

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
Heh, seems like a lot of ppl have made their first post in this topic. I bet tons of people read this topic and couldn't help inserting their 2 cents, I would've if I hadn't joined already. I smell a steep increase in # of members and a new record for 'most members on GBAtemp at once'
laugh.gif

Not my first post, but my second
tongue.gif

QUOTE(wii_will_rule @ Dec 31 2007, 06:05 AM)I hope there will be some kind of boot disc from a retail game to softmod wii's. Much easier than a modchip installation, and much less hassle.
happy.gif
With the Wlip coming out at the end of January, it won't be hard to modchip wii's anymore (as long as you don't have D2C!); but a softmod would still be much better, then my guaranty is still intact.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
tongue.gif

Actually your 3rd, and I wasn't talking about you
tongue.gif

QUOTEWith the Wlip coming out at the end of January, it won't be hard to modchip wii's anymore (as long as you don't have D2C!); but a softmod would still be much better, then my guaranty is still intact.
Yeah, I know, same here. Maybe I should change, in my sig, "waiting for the Wlip" to "waiting for a better solution than a modchip from the 24C3 guys"
laugh.gif

Nullkill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the Wlip? (Link?)

From what I understand; all new consoles are D2C; so whats the benefit of yet another D2A/D2B chip? (Not looking for flames; I really just dont know what a new chip has to offer.)

I myself am also just waiting for the guys at 24C3 to release their findings; I'm chomping at the bit to get started implementing an ISO loader from USB and/or SD.

(My ultimate goal if they truly unlock the wii is to create two channels that do the following:

Channel 1)
Channel to mount/launch ISOs from USB drive or SD

Channel 2)
A channel to add new channels based on new channel data stored on USB or SD; and also provide the ability to delete channels (if this isn't already offered by the wii)

I don't expect these to be easy to implement; but now that the encryption is cracked; its no longer *impossible*. What channels are you guys looking forward to?

InfernoZeus

Trophies
Website
radakan.org
XP
Country
tongue.gif
Actually your 3rd, and I wasn't talking about you
tongue.gif
I realised that afterwards
tongue.gif
I wasn't suggesting that you were talking about me, but this topic was the reason i found and joined this forum.

Whats the Wlip? (Link?)
Links to Wlip site in Spanish and in English.
We also have our very own Wlip topic that was started in October but due to release date being pushed back twice, it was forgotten about. :S

From what I understand; all new consoles are D2C;
Yes, all new consoles are D2C, but lots of people who bought a wii before Nintendo started using the D2C have a DMS/D2A/D2B chipset.

so whats the benefit of yet another D2A/D2B chip?
Wlip isn't a new "chip". The site explains it best, watch the demonstration video.

I myself am also just waiting for the guys at 24C3 to release their findings;
I read somewhere that they are unlikely to release the keys to the general public, but they may make programs to allow users to benefit from their findings.

I'm chomping at the bit to get started implementing an ISO loader from USB and/or SD.
I think that will be the best bit about these findings. Or perhaps even attaching an external harddrive
wacko.gif
tongue.gif

(My ultimate goal if they truly unlock the wii is to create two channels that do the following:
Channel 1)
 Channel to mount/launch ISOs from USB drive or SD
Channel 2)
 A channel to add new channels based on new channel data stored on USB or SD; and also provide the ability to delete channels (if this isn't already offered by the wii)

I don't expect these to be easy to implement; but now that the encryption is cracked; its no longer *impossible*. What channels are you guys looking forward to?
Sounds like a good plan, though I think the Wii already can delete channels: under data management.

Nullkill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, so WLip is a no solder chip... (Sorry, this will be off topic) If you are waiting on a Wlip, i'd recommend going to your local HW store and buying the component needed to make a chiip and programmer:

http://chiip.descrambler.de/index.php/Main_Page

Then flash it with the wiikey firmware.

Worst that can happen if you don't know what you're doing soldering is you lift a pad; then just wait till the Wlip is released in another month.

(I build the chiip and programmer, and all parts ended up running about 7 dollars... Not bad if you are willing to put in a little time to learn how to solder)

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, it would make no sense for the private/signing key to be in memory. I'm thinking it could be the key used used for total disc encryption. No way they'd use asymmetrical for that, right? And the discs are apparently encrypted somehow, probably with a block cipher that used a PRNG in such a way that the images can't be compressed very well if at all. And perhaps some games, like Lego Star Wars, execute code from unsigned (or at least unchecked) files. Does Nintendo have any quality control to prevent such things like Microsoft does?
Or maybe they got the disc encryption key and used some sort of exploit.

Damn it are you stupid?
It takes total sense, otherwise Wii can't decrypt there own things it needs the key inside the wii

You don't need to be rude. It just makes you look like a 10 year old.

What I think the other guy's saying is that it doesn't make sense to have both the public and private key in the firmware. All they need is the key to decrypt the DVDs.

Yeah. I'm assuming the executables are signed by Nintendo. They hash the program and encrypt it with their key (which is the public key in traditional RSA, not sure if it's public or private in the context of signing). The Wii then hashes the executable, decrypts the stored hash with the other key, and compares the two to see if it should boot or not.
So they could perhaps get keys to decrypt everything and resign saved games. It doesn't explain how they got unsigned code to execute.
Also, the Wii games are already encrypted, right? Which is why the rips have to be unscrambled first. Is that doe by the DVD drive? It seems odd that the disc would have another layer of encryption.

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Also, the Wii games are already encrypted, right? Which is why the rips have to be unscrambled first. Is that doe by the DVD drive? It seems odd that the disc would have another layer of encryption.

The Wii DVD drive descrambles the DVD contents. It's doing exactly what the GC DVD drive did. Once unscrambled, the Wii firmware decrypts whatever it finds on the disk.

Nullkill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool to have N64 roms play; but would be evencooler if the method of adding channels is unlocked; and you can just add custom N64 roms to the channel list... (And just use the wii's existing emulator)...

Although; I'm not sure how nintendo emulates 64 games... wether they actually recompile them for the wii; or if they do have an emulator on the wii that runs the original game's bin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)