The House of the Dead: Remake coming to Nintendo Switch on April 7

Revealed during a Nintendo Indie World Showcase last April, MegaPixel Studio and Forever Entertainment's The House of the Dead: Remake has gotten an official release date of April 7, 2022. The remake will stay "true to the original gameplay," recreating the campaign of the 1996 original in the same on-rails shooter style, with multiple endings and local two-player co-op. New features include modernized graphics and controls, including gyroscopic controls on the Joy-con, as well as a photo mode and achievements. It will also have a new horde mode, where players must face waves of faster and stronger enemies.

While no price was mentioned, pre-orders are expected to open March 31, so the price will likely be revealed then.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gyro aiming on Switch is pretty poor for demanding games.
Really wish the rght joy con IR sensor could be used for aiming like on the Wii.
Someone managed it in Labo so it's possible but it's sadly ignored.
Would totally fix the constant recalibrating when using gyro aiming.

I'll likely wait for a PC release so I can use proper aiming controla or even the joy-con IR if I want to.

The game itself though, House of the Dead 1 has only seen a port to PC and Sega Saturn.
Emulating the arcade game is possible but beware of the flashing effect.
This remake is a bit exciting, we finally see it comeback.
Hopefully HotD2.can get similar treatment as it was the better one but the more iconic one too.
I'm confident these devs can do the game justice on one of the best rail shooters.
Looking forward to it.... on PC... where I can use more precise controls.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ay, haven't seen HoTD for quite some time, heh
Surprised Sega even remembers it exists, but seeing it's not made by them... yeah.
Welp, if it's gonna be "true to the original", it has to have the (in)famous atrocious dubbing that's it's very well known for, hah
Just hope it doesn't get stuck on the effing switch, like... release it elsewhere too, ugh.

Guess I'd also be nice if the other games would get modern ports too, maybe even some that stayed arcade only for one reason or the other.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that's all you're doing. It's not like the Wii where you've got a sensor bar for IR to even mimic the light gun. Which sucks. Unless there's a light peripheral coming out that we don't know about. It won't be like the arcade days unfortunately.
This is why I’m happy I own a 3D printer or 4 👍

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to know who exactly was asking for a THotD Remake in 2022... I never cared for the game when it originally released back in '96 and never been a fan of 'rail shooters'.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to know who exactly was asking for a THotD Remake in 2022... I never cared for the game when it originally released back in '96 and never been a fan of 'rail shooters'.
Ah, yes.. because you're the authority on what should and shouldn't be remade.. Let alone liked...

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that's all you're doing. It's not like the Wii where you've got a sensor bar for IR to even mimic the light gun. Which sucks. Unless there's a light peripheral coming out that we don't know about. It won't be like the arcade days unfortunately.
While I agree, I could make the same argument playing on Wii if the sensor bar is in a weird place. Like if it's at the bottom of the TV the aiming won't feel much like a light gun either because you'll be aiming a lot lower (I do play the RE on rail shooters, HOTD 2&3, and Ghost Squad on Wii).

I think the original should also be made open source (even if it has a license that prohibits commercial use) at this point since the Windows version won't even run on recent versions of Windows due to it having a 16 bit installer (and launcher I think).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
While I agree, I could make the same argument playing on Wii if the sensor bar is in a weird place. Like if it's at the bottom of the TV the aiming won't feel much like a light gun either because you'll be aiming a lot lower (I do play the RE on rail shooters, HOTD 2&3, and Ghost Squad on Wii).

I think the original should also be made open source (even if it has a license that prohibits commercial use) at this point since the Windows version won't even run on recent versions of Windows due to it having a 16 bit installer (and launcher I think).
No amount of adjustments or tweaking made the Wii versions of those games feel even remotely close to the arcade experience for me. That's not to say I didn't have fun, but I kept going back to the Xbox for HOTD 2&3.

Reactions: Guacaholey

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No amount of adjustments or tweaking made the Wii versions of those games feel even remotely close to the arcade experience for me. That's not to say I didn't have fun, but I kept going back to the Xbox for HOTD 2&3.
I find the Nerf Wiimote cradles help a bit. Any decent pistol style cradle is more fun to use I'd say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1