Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

madisonswitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!! Long time Wii modder, here. I chip modded my Wii ages ago and have kept it up to date. One of the best things about the Wii modding community is that there's a site with very detailed how-to steps on modding before/during/after/etc (https://wii.guide/)

I have a V2 model number is HAC-001(-01) Mariko and my chip from AliExpress is finally here, HWFly Core RP2040.

There are so many scattered and fragmented tidbits of information scattered across YT, Reddit, and forums like this.

Is there a similar comprehensive guide or site for the Switch modding community with step by step guide from start to finish? I've already found some good YT videos for soldering.

Thank you for any tips and advice!

Last edited by madisonswitch,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
Hello!! Long time Wii modder, here. I chip modded my Wii ages ago and have kept it up to date. One of the best things about the Wii modding community is that there's a site with very detailed how-to steps on modding before/during/after/etc (https://wii.guide/)

I have a V2 model number is HAC-001(-01) Mariko and my chip from AliExpress is finally here, HWFly Core RP2040.

There are so many scattered and fragmented tidbits of information scattered across YT, Reddit, and forums like this.

Is there a similar comprehensive guide or site for the Switch modding community with step by step guide from start to finish? I've already found some good YT videos for soldering.

Thank you for any tips and advice!
Not really for hardmodding. For softmodding, there's https://switch.hacks.guide/ (this is an old link, but still works and redirects to the proper page, so I'll continue to use it until it is discontinued)
softmodding is limited to about 10% of all Switch consoles on the market (and this number is diminishing by the day), however, so I understand the need for a centralized hardmodding guide, I really do. However, there isn't really one (YET), so you'll need to refer to threads about it here on this site instead.

Reactions: madisonswitch

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to copy downloaded tinfoil games from one switch to another in some Kind of way? So copy games in the Nintendo folder to another sd card and launch it on another switch?
That will not work because digitally installed games require a ticket in order to be launched and that ticket is stored within the internal memory. Your best is to dump the game from one Switch then install on another.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious because I’m having trouble figuring out how this happened but can autorcm disable itself. I helped someone setup their switch and I found out today it disabled. I don’t even know how. So now either they buy a jig or I eventually got to travel and bring mine to use. Now the switch boot’s normally.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just curious because I’m having trouble figuring out how this happened but can autorcm disable itself. I helped someone setup their switch and I found out today it disabled. I don’t even know how. So now either they buy a jig or I eventually got to travel and bring mine to use. Now the switch boot’s normally.
It happens if you update your Switch from stock. You have to boot via Hekate or have Atmosphere active to protect it

Trisbone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Switch friends! I'm having a hard time figuring out what people mean when they say they've used JKSV and DBI ont their sysnand and have been fine using it.

I know its recommended only to use save file editing on your emummc, but, as someone who JUST had their switch (OLED modchip) the other day, I have to ask: Are people using JKSV through CFW Sysnand? Or is it some other way to get into atmosphere that isn't the normal Hekate way?

Apologies if this has been asked before, I spent an entire day looking through the web and couldnt find much. Thanks!

Yoan_2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi ,
I recently buy an old switch and i want to hack it.

-I made a foil jig on my right joycon (connecting pin 9 and 10).
I know i made it well because Joycon is no more recognize as in the switch when i put it in
-I have install driver froml tegraRCM
-Zadig detect "Nintendo Switch" when Switch is on OFW
Serial number is XAJ700050____

I got a RCM loader that turn up is led on when i plug him in the switch on OFW

But i got huge issue to inject payload in my switch , here is the probleme :

- I turn off the switch
- I plug my right joycon
- Press Volume Up and Power button for 2/3 second , black screen stay.

SO here , for me i'm in RCM mode , but :
- PC don't recognize the Switch (try 5 different cable)
- Phone don't recognize the Switch
- RCM Loader don't do anything
- RCM Loader don't show any LED when plugged as if Switch is OFF
- I need To push Power for 15 second for rebooting the switch.
- I left the switch on this mode for 12 hours ans she lost 20% of battery so she don't looks Off

I'm a bit lost , i don't know if i'm really in RCM Mode.

WiseDan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hi ,
I recently buy an old switch and i want to hack it.

-I made a foil jig on my right joycon (connecting pin 9 and 10).
I know i made it well because Joycon is no more recognize as in the switch when i put it in
-I have install driver froml tegraRCM
-Zadig detect "Nintendo Switch" when Switch is on OFW
Serial number is XAJ700050____

I got a RCM loader that turn up is led on when i plug him in the switch on OFW

But i got huge issue to inject payload in my switch , here is the probleme :

- I turn off the switch
- I plug my right joycon
- Press Volume Up and Power button for 2/3 second , black screen stay.

SO here , for me i'm in RCM mode , but :
- PC don't recognize the Switch (try 5 different cable)
- Phone don't recognize the Switch
- RCM Loader don't do anything
- RCM Loader don't show any LED when plugged as if Switch is OFF
- I need To push Power for 15 second for rebooting the switch.
- I left the switch on this mode for 12 hours ans she lost 20% of battery so she don't looks Off

I'm a bit lost , i don't know if i'm really in RCM Mode.
your ns usb port is defective

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Switch friends! I'm having a hard time figuring out what people mean when they say they've used JKSV and DBI ont their sysnand and have been fine using it.

I know its recommended only to use save file editing on your emummc, but, as someone who JUST had their switch (OLED modchip) the other day, I have to ask: Are people using JKSV through CFW Sysnand? Or is it some other way to get into atmosphere that isn't the normal Hekate way?

Apologies if this has been asked before, I spent an entire day looking through the web and couldnt find much. Thanks!
No, there is no other way to get into Atmosphere that isn't through Hekate unless you count fusee but that isn't what you mean. While there are obviously risks to loading CFW and homebrew, there is no such thing as a guaranteed ban. Even if you hear people say is a "insta-ban", that is completely a myth. You will never immediately get banned and there are people not banned who pirate games. Its all about chance. Nintendo bans people randomly as well at random intervals. This prevents people from discovering the reasons behind people bans ensuring Nintendo bans as many as possible we cannot figure out. Also, there are people who have been banned for using JKSV alone so its not impossible to get banned when using it.

Reactions: Trisbone

madisonswitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really for hardmodding. For softmodding, there's https://switch.hacks.guide/ (this is an old link, but still works and redirects to the proper page, so I'll continue to use it until it is discontinued)
softmodding is limited to about 10% of all Switch consoles on the market (and this number is diminishing by the day), however, so I understand the need for a centralized hardmodding guide, I really do. However, there isn't really one (YET), so you'll need to refer to threads about it here on this site instead.

Thank you! This is an excellent guide to start with.

Are all modchips essentially the same, ie, they run some variant of the RP2040?

Is there a reliable source for prepping the modchip before installation and what to do with it after?

Trisbone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, there is no other way to get into Atmosphere that isn't through Hekate unless you count fusee but that isn't what you mean. While there are obviously risks to loading CFW and homebrew, there is no such thing as a guaranteed ban. Even if you hear people say is a "insta-ban", that is completely a myth. You will never immediately get banned and there are people not banned who pirate games. Its all about chance. Nintendo bans people randomly as well at random intervals. This prevents people from discovering the reasons behind people bans ensuring Nintendo bans as many as possible we cannot figure out. Also, there are people who have been banned for using JKSV alone so its not impossible to get banned when using it.
I appreciate the clarification! Its super useful to understand more about it.

So basically theres no complete way to avoid a ban but no data that supports you eventually will no matter what? Makes sense i suppose.

And ive heard people talk about fusee, is that like an older way that is used to get into atmosphere? Like before hekate?

jfcramer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Folks!, i could really use some help. i am trying to get DQM Dark Prince up and running. i am on the latest AMS, firmware, and deep sea bundle, i used the AOI update, and pulled updated Sig Patches from it. however when trying to open the game from tinfoil, it says corrupted data on the main gain, and on the demo says you need to have this software to play. I just checked a couple of my other games that worked before the update and now alotof them are saying you must have this software to play or missing required nessacry data to play.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate the clarification! Its super useful to understand more about it.

So basically theres no complete way to avoid a ban but no data that supports you eventually will no matter what? Makes sense i suppose.

And ive heard people talk about fusee, is that like an older way that is used to get into atmosphere? Like before hekate?
Until the day Nintendo decides to stop banning people, there is no evidence to support that anyone or everyone will get banned one day.

As for fusee, chronologically speaking, its technically the newer way to launch Atmosphere compared to Hekate even though it should be the opposite. You see, fusee was originally designed to be the payload used to boot Atmosphere but the CFW was nowhere near a public release. However, whatever code had been written could be used if there was a payload that could execute it. Cue Hekate, an independent bootloader that also doubled as a payload. It was the first payload used to load Atmosphere before fusee was developed. Nowadays, its up to preference mostly since both fusee and Hekate ultimately boot Atmosphere but Hekate has so many more features than fusee, its not even a contest which one is objectively better. You'd only really use fusee if you're a purist.
Post automatically merged:

Hey Folks!, i could really use some help. i am trying to get DQM Dark Prince up and running. i am on the latest AMS, firmware, and deep sea bundle, i used the AOI update, and pulled updated Sig Patches from it. however when trying to open the game from tinfoil, it says corrupted data on the main gain, and on the demo says you need to have this software to play. I just checked a couple of my other games that worked before the update and now alotof them are saying you must have this software to play or missing required nessacry data to play.
Don't use the AIO Updater. Its a buggy mess that only leads to more issues such as the one you're experiencing. It did not download the proper patches. Instead, download them manually from here.

Reactions: Trisbone

jfcramer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until the day Nintendo decides to stop banning people, there is no evidence to support that anyone or everyone will get banned one day.

As for fusee, chronologically speaking, its technically the newer way to launch Atmosphere compared to Hekate even though it should be the opposite. You see, fusee was originally designed to be the payload used to boot Atmosphere but the CFW was nowhere near a public release. However, whatever code had been written could be used if there was a payload that could execute it. Cue Hekate, an independent bootloader that also doubled as a payload. It was the first payload used to load Atmosphere before fusee was developed. Nowadays, its up to preference mostly since both fusee and Hekate ultimately boot Atmosphere but Hekate has so many more features than fusee, its not even a contest which one is objectively better. You'd only really use fusee if you're a purist.
Post automatically merged:

Don't use the AIO Updater. Its a buggy mess that only leads to more issues such as the one you're experiencing. It did not download the proper patches. Instead, download them manually from
Thank you for the response!! really beating my head against the wall on this one. copied the file from the bottom of the linked post over to the SD card, and rebooted, i ran the sig patch updater NRO, rebotted, and ran the IPS Patcher and when updated it asked if i used the correct keys in .Dat keys. that was the error that poped up, i rebooted and still no dice, could the . d a t keys error be it?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the response!! really beating my head against the wall on this one. copied the file from the bottom of the linked post over to the SD card, and rebooted, i ran the sig patch updater NRO, rebotted, and ran the IPS Patcher and when updated it asked if i used the correct keys in .Dat keys. that was the error that poped up, i rebooted and still no dice, could the . d a t keys error be it?
No, why did you download another homebrew app? I didn't tell you to go ahead and use that. All you need is the link I gave you earlier and it gives you the latest patches without any external tools.

jfcramer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, why did you download another homebrew app? I didn't tell you to go ahead and use that. All you need is the link I gave you earlier and it gives you the latest patches without any external tools.
Ooo geez i am sorry for the mix up! i was going through the post and tried to do everything listed to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. It looks like after deleting the other patches and reinstalling from teh linked post, i have most games up and running. it looks like i am only missing Eshop titles i think, like final fantasy 9 and DQM Dark Prince. i tried uninstalling DQM since it was giving a corrupted data issue. and when reinstalling from tinfoil for XCI its giving an error saying failed to register placeholder NCA

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooo geez i am sorry for the mix up! i was going through the post and tried to do everything listed to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks. It looks like after deleting the other patches and reinstalling from teh linked post, i have most games up and running. it looks like i am only missing Eshop titles i think, like final fantasy 9 and DQM Dark Prince. i tried uninstalling DQM since it was giving a corrupted data issue. and when reinstalling from tinfoil for XCI its giving an error saying failed to register placeholder NCA
Since the issue is no longer the patches, the next likely culprit could be the installer. I would recommend using TinWoo Installer. Its what I personally use and I never have any issues while using it.
Hello! I just re-hacked my switch because I corrupted the SD card. I followed the Re-entry guide step by step, but for some reason, when I click launch from the Hekate home page, the Atmosphere icon is there without the custom Atmosphere icon, then when I click it, it just reboots back into Hekate. If I go to load others, I can load into the EmuNAND through Fusee.bin but it doesn't have Tinfoil installed. I've done this before and it worked fine but for some reason I can't get it to work properly this time.

I've tried doing it with the August releases of Hekate, and Atmosphere. I've done it multiple times with both. Still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Re-entry is actually not a good guide. I'm not quite sure why its even recommended in the first place. At any rate, I would advise you to follow a quality tutorial such as this one. Not only is it the first guide to be released for the Switch scene, but its been updated regularly as the scene progressed.

Reactions: madisonswitch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    linuxares @ linuxares: Discord need to die