Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct - live coverage

Nintendo is here to showcase a look at Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Check out what's in store for the game in this 15-minute Direct that promises to show off some new gameplay aspects. We'll be rounding up the Direct as it airs, at 7am PT, so stay tuned.

This game takes place in the Flower Kingdom. Prince Florian is the leader of this new place. Bowser uses the Wonder Flower to merge with the entirety of Florian's castle.

There's six worlds, and seven areas. There's a rock area, snow area, sewer area, underwater area, a forest, lava, and desert levels. You can walk freely through the map, and play the levels in any order you want.

Luigi, Peach, Daisy, two different Toads, and Toadette all play the same. Yoshi and Nabbit are the easy mode characters.

Hoppycats are enemies that copy your movements. There are melon Pirhanna Plants that shoot seeds at you. Goombas, Boos, and Koopas are also in the game.

New power ups include Elephant form, where you can use your trunk to break blocks, dash through gaps, and store water to spray. Every character has this form.

Bubble Mario can blow bubbles at enemies to trap them.

Drill Mario can attack enemies by jumping into them from below. You can drill underground or into the ceiling and get through levels that way.

Fire Flowers are back, too. You can store or swap an extra power up at any time.

Wonder Flowers, when found, cause weird effects to the level. Mario might become a Gooma, turn into a balloon, or the level's perspective might change.

There are badges to collect that change the gameplay when equipped. These can give you a parachute cap, or give you a better wall jump, make you swim faster underwater, let you shoot vines, become invisible, give you more coins, and more. You get them by clearing challenge courses or purchasing them with Flower Coins.

The game supports 4-player local co-op. If you die, you turn into ghost, but can be revived by another player jumping into you. Yoshi's can ride Yoshi's, too.

Online play exists in the form of live player ghosts. You're not playing together directly, but you can see them in your level.

You can however race courses online with a friend.

There's going to be a new Switch OLED to go with it, fully red dock and Joy-Cons.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Power ups actually suck. Also they dont LOOK good, especially elefant. looks stupid. I like the cat better and some sleek designs.
Post automatically merged:

Elephant Peach and Daisy are real.

View attachment 391368View attachment 391369

I am so fucking scared.
They look gross. Idk who thought Elefant form is a good idea. It actually does nothing special or interesting on top of that, it just makes you look ugly af.

It’s the first new one in 11 years. How can you be sick of it?
when youre sick of something it doesnt matter.

This new edition doesn't look all that great...

112872-nintendo-switch-oled-model-mario-red-edition-front-dock-joy-con-1200x675

112872-nintendo-switch-oled-model-mario-red-edition-dock-console-back-1200x675

https://www.nintendo.com/en-us/store/products/nintendo-switch-oled-model-mario-red-edition-112872/

Save that $350 for the successor.
Its not a "design" it's just a red Switch though... Design is something you ACTUALLY spend time designing, hence the name LoL
I can't even call this one lazy... it's beyond lazy.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah.. Alright. I've never been a huge Mario person, and this alone certainly isn't gonna win me over. I'll give it a "legally acquired" shot, though.

I didn't know they were pronouncing it Oh-led :wtf:

How do you pronounce it? Oh-El-Ee-Dee? Not shaming or anything, just genuinely curious, I've only ever heard people say "Oh-lead"

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not a "design" it's just a red Switch though... Design is something you ACTUALLY spend time designing, hence the name LoL
I can't even call this one lazy... it's beyond lazy.
I didn't call it a design, but you're right it is lazy. Even the tablet is black as always.

CharlesDeGaulle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dang. There's no open-world bullshit with crafting designed to waste your time?

I thought Nintendo forgot how to make games like this?

Lol !
Aonuma and Fuyibayashi seem to be kept away from this franchise, for the time being.

But never say never, and some people even seem to enjoy their plagiarism 'work'.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s the first new one in 11 years. How can you be sick of it?
Probably cus its the same shit, did no one saw the trailer and notice that we're going through the SAME level motifs? GRASS, DESERT, SEA, SNOW, FOREST, MOUNTAIN, SKY & LAVA!!! How can anyone stomach that a 5th time?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably cus its the same shit, did no one saw the trailer and notice that we're going through the SAME level motifs? GRASS, DESERT, SEA, SNOW, FOREST, MOUNTAIN, SKY & LAVA!!! How can anyone stomach that a 5th time?
If it's fun and it sure looks like it, no one's gonna mind it. 2D Mario games have been starving for a new game since the Wii U one in 2012.

Did I forget NSMB2? No, that was just a PoS excuse of a game. It would've been better if they ported the DS/Wii NSMB game for the 3DS than that garbage.

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
The first trailer I saw a while ago, I thought it was lazy 2D Mario reprint for quick cash grab

But after this trailer I think this might turn out to be one of the best 2D Mario.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

RetroGamer360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo is here to showcase a look at Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Check out what's in store for the game in this 15-minute Direct that promises to show off some new gameplay aspects. We'll be rounding up the Direct as it airs, at 7am PT, so stay tuned.

This game takes place in the Flower Kingdom. Prince Florian is the leader of this new place. Bowser uses the Wonder Flower to merge with the entirety of Florian's castle.

There's six worlds, and seven areas. There's a rock area, snow area, sewer area, underwater area, a forest, lava, and desert levels. You can walk freely through the map, and play the levels in any order you want.

Luigi, Peach, Daisy, two different Toads, and Toadette all play the same. Yoshi and Nabbit are the easy mode characters.

Hoppycats are enemies that copy your movements. There are melon Pirhanna Plants that shoot seeds at you. Goombas, Boos, and Koopas are also in the game.

New power ups include Elephant form, where you can use your trunk to break blocks, dash through gaps, and store water to spray. Every character has this form.

Bubble Mario can blow bubbles at enemies to trap them.

Drill Mario can attack enemies by jumping into them from below. You can drill underground or into the ceiling and get through levels that way.

Fire Flowers are back, too. You can store or swap an extra power up at any time.

Wonder Flowers, when found, cause weird effects to the level. Mario might become a Gooma, turn into a balloon, or the level's perspective might change.

There are badges to collect that change the gameplay when equipped. These can give you a parachute cap, or give you a better wall jump, make you swim faster underwater, let you shoot vines, become invisible, give you more coins, and more. You get them by clearing challenge courses or purchasing them with Flower Coins.

The game supports 4-player local co-op. If you die, you turn into ghost, but can be revived by another player jumping into you. Yoshi's can ride Yoshi's, too.

Online play exists in the form of live player ghosts. You're not playing together directly, but you can see them in your level.

You can however race courses online with a friend.

There's going to be a new Switch OLED to go with it, fully red dock and Joy-Cons.

this will definitely leak online early

Reactions: Marc_LFD

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and while i understand them all playing the same (except yoshi and nabbit being for filthy casuals), but imo they should all play a bit differently, for example, luigi has better mobility than mario, blue can run a bit faster than mario, but can't jump as high, and likewise, yellow toad can jump slightly higher, but can't run as fast as mario, idk for toadette, peach can float, daisy has higher mobility than peach but can't float as long, also, hopefully in the actual release only one character like, oh, for example, let's say toadette, says wowie zowie when picking up the elephant power up, instead of all of them, that'd be so dumb if they added the Wa bois, just look at this post and type that you can picture wario becoming an elephant and saying wowie zowie, but if we're talking ware wario and not land wario, i can see it tbh

tl/dr: characters should play differently, and shouldn't say wowie zowie

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally some variety regarding the enemies, the power ups don't look half bad either.
This is what the first (2D) entry on the Switch should've looked like imo..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto