Gaming Splatoon Demo Incoming! May 8 and 9, 2015!

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
The paint roller is too good at spreading ink, but it's terrible in combat. Anyone with half a brain can just back up and shoot. It might be overpowered in turf war, but trash in king of the hill. Idk how they'll balance that.

Turf War is all I played (only option I think) and while it was easy to take out the Rollers with a gun they can back out from a corner and surprise you, plus the area which they can cover with paint pisses me off.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. The paintroller needs tweaking. It's too powerful. Honestly you'd need two paint rollers, one splatter and one sniper covering the base. Speaking of bases, it feels SO good covering the enemy base with my paint!

Reactions: Margen67

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to try to catch the 3pm est session. Hopefully my daughter will be napping. 6am is just too early for me on a Saturday. If it wasn't for the "can't bring a p2 online issue" I'd be trying to get my hands on this game. Now that I tested the gyro controls, I can get past not having a remote/Nunchuck combo.

Reactions: Margen67

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Impressions

1. Nintendo said that we wouldn't need to strategize in Splatoon. They lied. We can spawn on teammates, work together to spread our ink in different areas, clump together for an offensive, share our shields with teammates, and cover our teammate's weapon's weaknesses. It's a team based game. I was playing TF2 before, and so many times I tried to reach for the "v" key to tell my teammate to stay still and let me spawn on him, or to get near me for a shield, or to pay attention to a giant block of enemy ink, or to keep up the good work. If Nintendo wants Splatoon to have any staying power, they MUST include some way to communicate with teammates.

2. Wii U owners suck at third person shooters.

3. Some weapons are enormously better at spreading ink. The Paint Roller and Splattershot Jr. are fantastic, the Splattershot is bad, and the Splat Charger is almost useless at covering the map. That said, the Splattershot and Splat Charger are better at killing. I don't know how Nintendo is going to balance the weapons, considering in turf war the objective is to spread ink and king of the hill is more about getting kills.

4. Running into someone else with the Roller and both dying is really funny.

5. Close ranged fights between two people with Splat Charger are really stupid. I wish we had a sidearm as the sub weapon for the sniper.

6. The mini game in between fights is brilliant. I got to 3141 points before it ended. Get on my level.

7. Imho the Splattershot Jr. is the best weapon in the demo. Maybe that's just because it's the easiest. That shield super weapon is way too good.

8. The game is slower than it looks.

9. I like the factory level much more than the rig.

10. The rig has a large elevated area outside of spawn where the opponent can't get to our spray ink. I hope some sub/weapons abilities will let us jump just a little higher so we can get up there and punish the enemy for neglecting it. Right now it feels like an annoying amount of free ink space for each team.

11. The gyro controls are awful. Glad they included classic controls in the demo.

12. The map is hard to read. I'm sure it will be better when we all know the maps and can tell where ink is at at a glance, but trying to take in all the information without staring too long at the game pad is difficult.

13. Spawn camping is totally a thing. There's a one way barrier they can stay behind to push out of spawn, but if they don't have Splattershot the I can just hide my their own ink on the flanks and make it pretty hard to get out of spawn. Of course super jumping is an option, but teammates can cover that.

14. Crazy last minute comebacks aren't as easy as Nintendo made them out to seem, which is good.

15. It's a lot of fun!

Reactions: gamesgames

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok my impressions of the game so far:

Pros:
- The actual idea and gameplay is solid and really fun
- Graphics look great and game had no lag or connection errors once the match had started
- Controls were tight
- Weapons all felt like they had a specific purpose making it very much a team game and not a 1-man show
- Being able to signal people to help cover a specific area makes up for the lack of voice chat

Cons:
- Weapon balance needs to be tweaked. The sniper rifle is weak and feels very out of place, whilst the roller is way too strong for Turf wars
- The levels need more verticality. There is too many areas that stop you "climbing" up to a higher vantage point. Hugely benefitting roller-users
- Only one control scheme (altho hopefully this will be fixed for the full game)

Overall tho, its a Very fun game. The matches on the demo were short and sweet and i didnt find myself bored by the main gameplay. Controls were tight, i was initially skeptical about the gamepad aiming but it works really well and feels comfortable to use since you can fine tune your aiming with the analog stick for the gun weapons. Really like 3 of the 4 weapons but i thought the sniper rifle was really out of place in turf wars, with its slow charge and practically non-exsistant ink coverage.

Will probably buy this when its out

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alright, I'll just copy paste what I said somewhere else:

Well, I just came out of 1 hour of ink shooting, Inkling popping, ground steamrolling fun, and let me tell you, Splatoon is a really good game !
Two maps were available, Saltspray Rig and Walleye Warehouse. The first one being really open, and the second one being a hallway where you keep passing by your opponents if you’re not careful, getting shot on the back in the process. Of the two, I feel like the more action-packed was definitively Walleye Warehouse, while Saltspray Rig was more of a “ink everything you can before the other team”.

About the weapons, we had 4 sets available to us. The first being Splattershot Jr. which is your generic damage weapon which comes with a shield subweapon, the second being Splattershot, a slower but with a bit more range version of the first one, with ink balloons, the Splat Roller, allowing you to cover a huge part of the map in one go, with timed bombs, and the Splat Charger, essentially a long range weapon / sniper, with timed bombs as well. Of all the weapons, I had a much easier time with the Splattershot Jr., it’s really easy to splatter in front of you, turn into a squid, rinse and repeat. The Splat Roller was nice too, though I only used it 3 times out of my dozen of games. The weapon I gave up on after one match was the Splat Charger. I’ve never been a huge fan of sniper rifles in any games, so maybe I’m kinda biased, but it feels like you’re too dependent on the ink your allies live to move, while not being able to do much yourself besides shooting opponents or firing in a straight line, which isn’t really useful considering how many corners the maps possess.

The controls. I was absolutely bluffed by how well this game controls ! Seriously, the gyroscope responds perfectly, allowing really precise movements, and in the case you don’t like having that, you can always disable them.

The mechanics require a bit getting used to, like the ink ammo. Many times during my first few matches did I get wrecked because I didn’t have any more ink to fire just in front of my enemies. Thankfully, I quickly got used to the system, and reloading by turning into a squid in your own ink takes about 3 seconds, so you’re not out of the game just yet if you’re careful. Speaking of the squid, controlling it feels really good once you get the hang of things. I caught myself doing a bit of parkour at some point because of how smoothly it goes when there’s enough ink.

Reactions: gamesgames

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deboog, I don't think its Wii U owners that suck at TPS as much as the only control option was gyro and many of them might not be used to pointer controls. Personally, I LOVE pointer controls! I was slightly annoyed that I couldn't turn left/right with the gyro but in the end it felt almost as good as a Wii Remote.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Deboog, I don't think its Wii U owners that suck at TPS as much as the only control option was gyro and many of them might not be used to pointer controls. Personally, I LOVE pointer controls! I was slightly annoyed that I couldn't turn left/right with the gyro but in the end it felt almost as good as a Wii Remote.
You're wrong, at the weapon select, you could press + to change the controls to analog, the sensitivity and even reversing the axis.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Paint Roller is best, but can be easily countered. Cover the area and watch your back and you're good to go. Gyro is gonna help with Paint Roller with the splatter.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummmmm I turned off gyro. It was in the options menu we could get to from the weapon select. The gyro did feel tight, but it was too frustrating having to worry about not tilting the gamepad down when my arms got lazy.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I seem to have missed the option to change the controls. I didnt realise you could, thats cool then but i still think the gypo controls are the way to go.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Really? They said that?

2) Such a big generation for a 1 hour demo.

3) Funny, I like the regular splatter better. Like the roller too. I'm good with the sniper, but I rather cover the turf. Splatter jr is alright.

4) Double kill!

5) Never was in that situation.

6) I actually didn't have time to play. Is that in the final game or just dlc?

7) Not to me. Either the roller or the splatter.

8) Not when you are constantly turning into a squid.

9) Not sure yet.

10) Not sure what exactly you are talking about, but the Charger can get to high places.

11) I tried at first, but I had to change. Doing good, did better with the change. Wish the B button was jump.

12) I thought it was fine, but I guess they could make it better.

13) Had that problem once, but I eventually just kill the guy. He had a roller, I think.

14) Agree.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Really? They said that?
""In terms of communication in games in general, there are two main types: communication about strategy, and communication about feelings you have while playing at that moment. When that point is applied to this game, one interesting aspect of Splatoon is that the actions you take shooting ink can immediately be seen in the stage you're playing by yourself and other players, and conversely when you see the actions other players are taking shooting ink, it's something you can interpret immediately and then base your next actions on that and judging what that means. That's an important part of the gameplay in Splatoon."

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clarification. Connection errors were only trying to join a game, nine once a match started.

I didn't play just letting my boys take turns and they both loved it. I think then high point here is it is completely different than any of the other games.

They got caught up trying to paint full coverage instead of covering more territory and to offen stuck to familiar territory thus wasting time in their own color. My youngest started to learn to use the teleport towards the end and that helped. Some of the aerial shots were great and the crane platforms were cool.

Having "severe" colorblindness my concern about this game was I would not be able to distinguish between the colors but from the demo that does not appear it will be a problem. ( I have trouble distinguishing between red and green shells in mk8).

For anyone in the U.S. Costco seems to have the best preorder discount.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't seem like they are saying no strategy is needed. Do you mean voice chat?
I happen to seen a person on my team by himself, so I jump over there. He had a splatter and I happen to have a roller and ink the whole place for him. I think that what that means.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...