Sony VR headset unveiled

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd get a PS4 just to try this.
I'm thinking about it too.. I WANTED to get an Xbox One when it would be financially responsible for me to do (student here), but now I'm not sure, as this thing is sexy as hell too.

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I could read you a wikipedia page, but you could also read yourself. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

I read the page and near the end it says:
In an interview with IGN, Shigeru Miyamoto stated that Nintendo is working on a new virtual reality based on the 3DS technology.

When you look at the notes, the source is http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/10/new-nintendo-vr-console (retrieved 10-03-14), but that gives a ''404 page not found error''...
So I guess it's fake or did I miss something? The wikipedia page was last edited 17 march 2014.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Veho... with all these questions you make it sound like your some kind of Gaming Psychologist..
To be fair, I think his first question was sort of rhetorical, as he already outlined the very reasons those things failed to breakthrough in the nineties.

As for a "must play" game... The ability to look around by looking around already enhances existing games, so people will have something to do while a truly "must play" game is developed. I think for most people it's about immersion rather than the potential new gameplay mechanics a VR headset could offer.
I can name a few more things that already "enhances existing games" (isn't that the same tagline for the kinect? Or the wiiu gamepad?). However, it's only when a certain widely hyped game that actually lives up to the hype gets released that it starts to sell.
As for that immersion...people aren't going to play it in a bureau chair, so doing a 360 will be done by looking left of your tv (or right) for a time until you're done turning. Moving forward, backward jumping and crawling will also still be by buttons, so the really being "in" the game gets broken just at another spot now.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Valve might not be quite the expert on VR, but they're working closely with Oculus, who does have this experience. It also has to be said that Valve has a lot of expertise on high performance, which is something that's required for VR to work well.

I could read you a wikipedia page, but you could also read yourself. :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Boy

The VB is hardly comparable to this. At all. It lacked so much needed to get proper VR, especially on the technical side. (Not to mention there was no head tracking or, well, color other than red.) It's also fairly well-known by now why VR systems up to now have given people headaches and motion sickness, but here's the thing: with modern-day technology, it's finally becoming feasible to make a system in which you can truly immerse yourself and not get headaches or motion sickness.

VR isn't just another gimmick. People who have actually tried the VR demo at Valve claim that it adds a whole new layer to the experience - especially with the accurate and functional head tracking. I have a fair bit of confidence when I say that VR will be the next Big Thing in gaming in years. (No, flatscreen 3D doesn't count. That was basically a gimmick.)

That said, I do think that the PS4 won't be quite fast enough to properly support VR. It does take massive amounts of processing, and part of this is because you do need the high framerate to keep up with the required brief reaction time to make the VR "real" and non-sickening. You can only push so much detail through such a short time frame, and the devs know it all too well.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...on average, the human eye stops noticing differences in motion fluidity after passing the 72 FPS mark.

Just wanted to mention that just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. Your eyes don't work in frames per second, it's something more of a constant stream to them. It's just when your brain gets a hold of those signals, what you can consciously digest comes to around 72 FPS, but it does vary a bit as you suggested. All the info is still being sent to your brain though, and can have effects that you aren't necessarily conscious of(motion, etc). Though I'm not sure at what rate those signals are produced at the back of your eye, it's not as simple as a "72 FPS" kind of answer.

Reactions: T Link7

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really want this but at the same time, I'm dreading the price. High price = low take up. Low take up = less incentive for developers to make use of the VR feature. It might just end up being another Kinect.

Reactions: T Link7

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wanted to mention that just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't have an effect. Your eyes don't work in frames per second, it's something more of a constant stream to them. It's just when your brain gets a hold of those signals, what you can consciously digest comes to around 72 FPS, but it does vary a bit as you suggested. All the info is still being sent to your brain though, and can have effects that you aren't necessarily conscious of(motion, etc). Though I'm not sure at what rate those signals are produced at the back of your eye, it's not as simple as a "72 FPS" kind of answer.

I imagine a part of this also has to do with the reaction time of moving the picture to keep up with the head tracking, which works at a higher rate than the FPS rate...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm well aware of that, I'm just saying that the difference is not noticeable for the naked eye. The comfort of using a VR set is an individual matter, some people are sensitive to high framerates, some the other way around, but the biggest problem here is actually the steadyness of the framerate. Framerate dips cause discomfort as far as I know, so a steady 60 is better than jumpy 72. That's all besides the point though.

Reactions: osaka35

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It'll be interesting to see what PS4 games will write "extra code" to support this "second screen" (VR headset).
Maybe the Gamepad failed as a second screen whereas this one "might work".

Does it have 3D sound ? Like you can hear something behind you ?
3D sound might be useful in many games.

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It'll be interesting to see what PS4 games will write "extra code" to support this "second screen" (VR headset).
Maybe the Gamepad failed as a second screen whereas this one "might work".

Does it have 3D sound ? Like you can hear something behind you ?
3D sound might be useful in many games.

Pretty sure you won't be able to look at your television AND use the virtual reality headset.
And the GamePad did not fail as a second screen, atleast mine still works :P whether or not it was a succes... eh...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.