Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fvchgCi.jpg

Project Morpheus.

'We believe Morpheus will further enhance PlayStation'. It'll work alongside the camera, and Move.
The current dev kit (tentative) has a 1080p display, 90+ degree field of view.
Tracking builds on PS Move and DualShock 4 technology, "supports forward prediction." Position and rotating head tracking: 1000HZ, 3 Meter Working Volume, Full 360 Degrees
PS Move's technology is being used in Project Morpheus to help with tracking. PlayStation Camera on PS4 is also essential. "It's almost as if it was designed for VR," he said with a wink.
They're using the same tech as PlayStation Move - with a lot higher rate sensors, and the PlayStation Camera.
DualShock 4's sensors and light can be used in conjunction with Morpheus. PS Move may also prove essential.
They want it to be able to be picked up and used with no issues. Pick it up, put it on, you're in VR. Put it down, you're out. No issues.
Finally, we've come to Content. "At Worldwide Studios, we have a really good team." Sony's own studios will "seed" the VR landscape, but they need other devs, hence they're here at GDC.
Current focus is on PlayStation - no talking about how this will, or could, work on PC.

ALJVQ0Z.jpg

Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was actually going to write an article about it today, but I see that you took care of it and made a thread. As far as the capabilities of this thing are concerned, the visor runs at 1080p at a 90 degrees viewing angle and supports PSMove, Dual Shock 4, external headphones and headsets and is wearable for those who wear glasses, which is neat. More later when I'm back from uni. ;)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So the occulus rift has competition? That's nice, I guess. Except that the technology is all but new (I remember these devices playing doom 2 and descent), and that the first must-play game still needs to be invented.

(from the now-closed thread in user submitted news)
Project Morpheus? Are we in the Matrix now or what?
I was thinking the same thing. It's not like this has anything to do with the God of dreams, after all. :unsure:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...just like any other display. I don't see how it "supports" any of that in particular.
Many previous 3D sets had built-in speakers with no space or port for headphones. As far as PSMove support is concerned, I believe the visor is equipped with a light used for head tracking. The Dual Shock 4 support is simply a part of the announced functionality - no clue why they mention it. ;)

Hydrazine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS4's lack of raw power will probably hinder this product. VR needs high framerates to not cause motion sick, a minimum of 60fps according to the Valve VR team. PS4 can barely do 1080p 60fps in current non-VR titles. Rendering at 1080p stereo3D 60FPS doubles system load. So PS4 will barely manage 30fps in VR, unless visual fidelity takes a bit hit. And 60fps is only the baseline. Valve said something like 90fps in really ideal.

Reactions: DaVince

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Firstly, I don't understand the whole "barely" bit - contemporary games are nowhere near fully utilizing the system's horsepower and still aren't properly paralleled on 6 cores, secondly, you assume that stereoscopy requires rendering the frame twice which is false, you can fool around with frame buffers and achieve the same effect.

Valve is not an authority in terms of optics by the way - on average, the human eye stops noticing differences in motion fluidity after passing the 72 FPS mark.

Hydrazine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Firstly, I don't understand the whole "barely" bit - contemporary games are nowhere near fully utilizing the system's horsepower and still aren't properly paralleled on 6 cores, secondly, you assume that stereoscopy requires rendering the frame twice which is false, you can fool around with frame buffers and achieve the same effect.

The CPU utilization matters less to the GPU of the PS4, which is rather weak and the bottleneck. It doesn't take that long to utilize what are basically locked-down PCs (x86 CPU and radeon GPU). Look at AAA games right now for the PS4. How many run at native 1080p 60fps?

FIFA Soccer 14
NBA 2K14
Call of Duty: Ghosts
DC Universe Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

6 Games. 6. And these don't even high fidelity visuals. All other games for the system can't 1080p 60fps.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh God, the locked down PC debacle again... No, just no. The PS4/Xbox One are as much PC's as the Xbox 360 is a Mac. As for the GPU, it's mid-tier at worst and enjoys a more direct API, so you can squeeze more juice out of it. Besides, the native resolution doesn't have to be 1080p to reach 1080p output.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks cool, it might be the kind of thing I'd buy a PS4 for. I remember reading a games magazine years ago that speculated Nintendo's internal Project Reality name was going to be a VR machine like this. Seeing the image in the article was like a huge flashback to my childhood.

What I want to know is, will they pre-empt all the complaints about people hurting themselves by releasing this with a human-sized condomWii Remote-esque silicon jacket? ;)

Hydrazine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh God, the locked down PC debacle again... No, just no. The PS4/Xbox One are as much PC's as the Xbox 360 is a Mac. As for the GPU, it's mid-tier at worst and enjoys a more direct API, so you can squeeze out more juice out of it.

No, it's pretty low end if it can't even run BF4 at 1080p 60fps. A 750 Ti can do that, and that's a $150 low end card.

Back to topic, it does matter how well you squeeze power, it'll still be far from ideal for VR. VR is where truly raw power is important. You want the best VR, you stick to PC.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
As far as PSMove support is concerned, I believe the visor is equipped with a light used for head tracking.
Technically, that's PlayStation Camera support :tpi:

So the occulus rift has competition? That's nice, I guess. Except that the technology is all but new (I remember these devices playing doom 2 and descent), and that the first must-play game still needs to be invented.
The concept itself isn't new, the "new" part about it are the improvements the new models have compared to the old hardware. They are smaller, lighter, much cheaper, the field of view is much wider, the screen quality is way greater, and the lag between head movement and image movement is greatly reduced (almost imperceptible, or so they say). It's like tablets for example. They aren't a new invention but the technology for them became ripe only recently.

As for a "must play" game... The ability to look around by looking around already enhances existing games, so people will have something to do while a truly "must play" game is developed. I think for most people it's about immersion rather than the potential new gameplay mechanics a VR headset could offer.

they tried VR already in the 90's...it failed :P
Yes but why did it fail?

Reactions: DaVince

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha