Sony details new information about the PSVR2 at CES 2022, Horizon VR game announced

pdvr.png

While we knew a successor to the PlayStation VR headset was on the way already, Sony has given us some new information about their upcoming VR hardware during a showcase at CES 2022. Speculate no more, as the official name for the headset will simply be the PSVR2, along with its VR2 Sense controllers. Improving upon the original, the headset will feature 4K HDR, 2000x2040 resolution, an OLED display, 90hz and 120hz support, and a 110-degree FOV, supported by the PlayStation 5 hardware. Much like other VR sets, tracking will be done via cameras on the outside of the PSVR2, and utilizes eye tracking as well. Similar to the PS5, the PSVR2 makes use of 3D Audio, adaptive triggers, and improved haptic feedback.

A new exclusive game was also revealed for the hardware in the form of Horizon Call of the Mountain, being developed by Guerilla Games. As for a launch date or pricing, those details haven't been revealed yet.

:arrow: Source

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The Reverb (mine is the G2 btw) has the greatest resolution on a VR headset I think and supports 90hz. That makes it a great experience. What it lacks is decent controllers. You can use it any VR game on Steam, despite using WMR, and you can pair it up with steam VR controllers, that I plan to get eventually.
The best resolution headsets go incredibly higher than that. For example we already have retina quality displays in the highest end ones. For consumer though, you could get up to around 8K displays.
The controllers alone are enough for me to not even think about it anymore. And the tracking is... okay, doesn’t meet my standards though for a PCVR headset. (Though my perspective is the one of a lighthouse tracking user)

The only data I can find on the reverb 2's resolution is 2k per eye just like the quest 2, which also has 90hz assuming you have access to dev mode and a link cable.
Upscaling works wonder fortunately, and over Air Link you can go up to 120Hz

Reactions: pustal

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The quest 2 has 1832 x 1920 per eye, the Reverb G2 2160 x 2160 per eye.
Still both 2k. 200 pixels is barely perceptible when it's 2 inches from your face. Technically, both have a larger pixel density than standard 2k, but there isn't really an in-between for 2k and 4k.

Last edited by samcambolt270,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately that's not how it works. That's like saying if I connect a PS3 to an 8k display, it can process at 8k, it can't.

The displays are just what the image is shown on. With upscaling yes, they could do that, but I seriously doubt they'd simply use uoscaling alone (although I wouldn't doubt it would be used, as the consoles always seem to).

Also, the separate processing isn't something I think Sony would do, the whole point is a device which supplements the console, not a standalone device, also the cost would be ridiculous.

It's not possible to have both devices work together (I wouldn't say it's completely impossible), the delay in trying to "crossfire" the hardware in the PS5 and the headset over the length of cable involved would be horrendous.

Yeah, the moving is very jarring and one of the biggest causes of nausea, the sooner they produce a cheap and effect alternative, the better.
No but if your vr screens are 4k and has its own processing hardware, if you attach to a device that outputs 4k, and the display is 4k.

Then it could output in 4k.

Its nothing like connecting a ps3 to a 4k display and expecting the display to output 4k, the source itself has to be 4k.

And the ps4 can output at 4k, it could reduce the hardware on the console by having hardware on the headset, then its effectively just sending a signal over.

Just like when I send my laptop to my TV, at 4k resolution, my will display and has its own onboard processor that an improve visuals, upgrade normal HD to 4k.

The problem with the current vr is the ps4 can't handle higher resolution that the display.

Thats all thats needed, it could have games run in 4k all depends on its hardware requirements.

stanna

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
10 minutes on my psvr and I'm sweating and white as a sheet, never been able to kick the motion sickness bit 😥

stanna

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the motion sickness that starts the sweating, I must be super sensitive to it, 10 minutes and I feel crap for the rest of the day.

Reactions: console

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Still both 2k. 200 pixels is barely perceptible when it's 2 inches from your face. Technically, both have a larger pixel density than standard 2k, but there isn't really an in-between for 2k and 4k.

Hum, I'd say quite the opposite. The closer it is to your face, the most noticeable the resolution, hence the importance of high resolutions on VR.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No but if your vr screens are 4k and has its own processing hardware, if you attach to a device that outputs 4k, and the display is 4k.

Then it could output in 4k.

Its nothing like connecting a ps3 to a 4k display and expecting the display to output 4k, the source itself has to be 4k.

And the ps4 can output at 4k, it could reduce the hardware on the console by having hardware on the headset, then its effectively just sending a signal over.

Just like when I send my laptop to my TV, at 4k resolution, my will display and has its own onboard processor that an improve visuals, upgrade normal HD to 4k.

The problem with the current vr is the ps4 can't handle higher resolution that the display.

Thats all thats needed, it could have games run in 4k all depends on its hardware requirements.

I've taken a look at the specs and can see it's actually not 5k per eye and literally just like having a 4k screen, with 2 lenses
So with optimisation, they should be able to hjt this on all games (especially with the eye tracking, this should also allow them to enable dynamic lighting at the same time as the higher refresh rates).

But back to the subject of external hardware. It isn't needed in this instance, but if the console needed a boost, having an external GPU in the headset, over that length of cable wouldn't work with a "crossfire" linked with the PS5 internal GPU/APU. The delay is too great. They require immense bandwidth and the closer the better, for less delay.

The only eay it may work is like the old Nvidia GPUs, where one processed most of the game assets, etc and the other did physics. Even then there is a lot of delay to process in sync.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?