1. 3,685

Front-page
    4F5A41F6-6720-431D-B9EA-C532778B0735.jpeg

Sony has revealed that there will be a successor to their PlayStation VR headset. Announced in a PlayStation Blog post, the new virtual reality hardware will make use of the PlayStation 5’s power, and will feature a new and innovative VR controller that takes inspiration from the DualSense. It will also have improved resolution output and a higher field of view than the original PSVR, while only requiring a single cable to connect to the PS5. No release window was provided, though Sony confirmed that the next-gen PSVR will not release this year.

:arrow: Source

Lycanroc, SS4, Tyvar1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Discussion (47 replies)

3. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Germany
    it wont release until at least 2022

ds34 likes this.
  4. wiiuepiccpu

wiiuepiccpu vanCFW tester

United States
    with a 600p display maybe?

ds34 and Mama Looigi like this.
  5. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh god, more money to be wasted on products we already own

spotanjo3 likes this.
  6. Mama Looigi

Mama Looigi =<^.^>=

United States
    Well hopefully it’s half decent now-
    The VR industry standards are currently something like..
    •Millisecond tracking from all directions
    •6DOF
    •At least decent controllers
    •2160x2160 per eye resolution will be the standard soon
    •90/120 Hz displays
    •Comfortable long-term

The only one of those PSVR had was...
    •6DOF

ds34 likes this.
  7. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    The resistive triggers found in the dualsense will be a game changer for VR, moreso than it already is on PS5.

Let's hope the improved FOV is much, much wider but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Seems to be the trickiest thing to improve on.

8. Loversan

Loversan GBAtemp Regular

Cote d'Ivoire
    I want yo play beat saber x.x Glad I didn't buy the old one

9. sith

sith Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    yeah but think of all the gut-wrenching nausea you have missed out on up til now.

Loversan likes this.
  10. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.
    Global Moderator

United States
    Happy to hear they have streamlined the cables. The old setup was such a nightmare.

Would be funny if you could pick up one of these vr sets before you could pick up a ps5 itself.

11. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Methinks none of you have looked at the Valve Index (expensive as hell though). Resistive triggers aren’t a game changer...

and 2160x2160... are you actually basing that off of an HP product? Ewwww....

EDIT: the price, though... HP Reverb G2 + the Index controllers, is looking mighty tempting! (I just read through a couple reviews on it)

EDIT2: Nevermind. Read more reviews. The index controllers need the lighthouse base stations, which are like $150 each, PLUS some type of adapter for $30~$40. Too much hastle for something they should have gotten right the first time. Damn shame, but the tracking problems combined with subpar controllers rule the HP offering out.

Last edited by urherenow, Feb 24, 2021 at 8:57 AM
  12. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

If they dont ditch the stereo camera and the blue leds for another positioning system (such as IR matrix like the HTC Vibe...) it doesn´t matter how much they improve the PS3 move controllers or the displays...

Xzi and weatMod like this.
  13. MaxToTheMax

MaxToTheMax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I’m glad this was announced because that means the current PSVR will get cheaper on the resell market. Maybe not now, but closer to launch.

14. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Nice to see a PSVR2 being announced. I'm curious, which DualSense features they are going to pack into the VR controllers. And I prophesize the stick drift is one of them.

Last edited by Axido, Feb 23, 2021
    Urbanshadow likes this.
  15. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    The PSVR did have a 120hz display, though games that ran at 120hz were usually just 60fps with doubled frames. A fair few ran at 90hz natively, and I think like...2 games or something hit 120hz natively :lol: But it still had the capability, even if the PS4 itself wasn't able to hit that target.

As to the OP, I'm mostly hoping they keep the price point in line with their original 2016 release, at least in the sense that it'll be cheaper than a "good" PC headset with at least moderately similar specs. Given that they now have to compete against things like the relatively cheap Oculus Quest and such, I'd hope they opt to keep the price to around $350-$400 again which would be...at least ok anyways, for VR. Resistive triggers would be interesting to see on their new controllers I guess, but TBH unless it has finger tracking similar to the Index controllers that's not going to be all that interesting.

Mama Looigi likes this.
  16. fadx

fadx Filthy Cheater

United Kingdom
    If you're looking to play VR for relatively cheap you could try the Oculus Quest 2, it's a very good VR experience for a great price and you don't need the lightboxes/external camera stuff. Keep in mind you have to link a facebook account to use the device, makes no difference to me but I know that rubs people the wrong way.

VR has come a long way since the original PSVR so I'd expect really big improvements. The upside to Sony actively supporting VR is that there will be more VR games for people to play.

Memoir, Mama Looigi and shaunj66 like this.
  17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    The only good thing is that unlike other VR sets this will have support as long as the PS5 lasts. I wonder if Sony will make the effort to make as most PS4 VR games be compatible as possible?

cearp likes this.
  18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    no picture, no tech information.
    Only one cable (not wireless?) is already better than V1.

What did they mean whith "key features found in the DualSense" ? the feedback, the feeling, or something new?
    If it's Haptic feedback from touched objects, that would be even more immersive.

Last year I've read about some Sony's Patented controllers, which could magnetically detect finger's position.
    No idea if it'll be used, or it was just a random prototype. (nor if it's fake or not)

https://uploadvr.com/sony-psvr-2-controller-patent/

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/09/...ch-on-next-gen-finger-tracked-vr-controllers/

Last edited by Cyan, Feb 23, 2021
  19. gaga941021

gaga941021 GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    Oh, no. It's retarded. :(

Mama Looigi likes this.
  20. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Meh, really not that interested in this top be honest.

21. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    So, does that mean they are finally moving away from the giant ball controllers?

Anyway, makes me wonder if they will just include VR with the console, when VR gets widespread enough.

Xzi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, announces, headset