Sonic Origins "Plus" rated in Korea

sonic-origins-plus.jpg

It looks like an enhanced release of Sonic Origins is on the horizon as The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated an upcoming title "Sonic Origins Plus", as spotted by Gematsu.

Sonic-Origins-Plus-Rated_02-10-23_Rating.jpg

This news suggests that a retail release of the game, which was only previously released on digital storefronts, is on the way if SEGA follow the same approach as their previous title Sonic Mania Plus - which added new playable characters and an "encore" mode as well as some extra QoL features.

Sonic Origins released in June of last year to mixed reviews mostly due to a lack of polish, poorly implemented music and a somewhat unfinished port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

We're speculating here, but perhaps a Plus release of Origins could see the addition of new playable characters such as Amy Rose who was prominently featured in Origins marketing but was suspiciously absent from the games. Maybe we could also see Mighty and Ray ported into the Origins collection. We'd also like to see a proper save selection screen for the trilogy of games, improved music quality, customisable controls/skills and perhaps some additional unlockable emulated games from the 8 and 16 bit era as well as further refinements and fixes to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

What would you like to see added in a Plus release of Sonic Origins?

:arrow: Source

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I always say: why does anyone buy games brand-new at launch anymore when you can wait a few months until they're actually finished and available on sale?

Well, it'd be better if they ported the original DC version to PC and modern consoles than the GCN version which was used for the HD Remaster
Are the differences that significant? I seem to recall there were a bunch of mods in the works for the PC version of SA1.

Reactions: cearp

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What would you like to see added in a Plus release of Sonic Origins?
Oh, I dunno; how about relisting all the separate versions, that built up a crapton of mods and other third-party support over the years, and are cheaper and don't have the flaws present in this collection?

Other than that, let that Christian Whitehead or whatever handle 'retro' Sonic, instead of your in-house team of typewriter monkeys? Mania displayed how skilled that guy's team was, so give them 90s Sonic.

Reactions: pokota and shaunj66

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I dunno; how about relisting all the separate versions, that built up a crapton of mods and other third-party support over the years, and are cheaper and don't have the flaws present in this collection?

Other than that, let that Christian Whitehead or whatever handle 'retro' Sonic, instead of your in-house team of typewriter monkeys? Mania displayed how skilled that guy's team was, so give them 90s Sonic.

Most of Whitehead's team worked on 3 (stealth + headcannon), and yet it was still released in the state it was. Some of that was on the wrapper the Japan offices put together, some of that was on the team not meeting the deadlines set by Sega.

Whitehead himself was busy with Freedom Planet 2. I don't feel confident about him working with Sega again. Or Stealth either given how he publicly called out Sega.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh good, I wanted this on cartridge.
Cartridge? We've not had consoles use cartridges since the N64.

We do have cards which Nintendo transitioned to. Well, Sony too with the Vita, but that's dead (and it was a handheld while the Switch is a hybrid console).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Cartridge? We've not had consoles use cartridges since the N64.

We do have cards which Nintendo transitioned to. Well, Sony too with the Vita, but that's dead (and it was a handheld while the Switch is a hybrid console).
The switch still uses cartridges, don't get hung up on symantics. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Metoroid0

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Amazing how all Sega had to do to achieve critical and commercial success with Mania was hand over development to someone else and not micromanage. Yet they somehow thought it a good idea to use the exact opposite strategy with Origins and, unsurprisingly, totally fucked it up as a result. Here's hope Plus fixes everything wrong with the original release, though I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Xzi,

wsh1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's so weird hearing that, cause just few years ago it was the opposite. Physical games where default.
And honestly, it should still be imho. The biggest flaw of Digital editions is that once the store its form closes or delists it you can no longer play the game you bought if something happens to the console/PC it was installed on

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Nah, that's cards similar to an SD Card.
Its a cartridge ok? :)
Post automatically merged:

And honestly, it should still be imho. The biggest flaw of Digital editions is that once the store its form closes or delists it you can no longer play the game you bought if something happens to the console/PC it was installed on
downloadable should be an option. owning a physical game should be a thing. You should OWN a damn thing, not having it in bits. You still own a bits, but they are on volatile memory unlike proprietary carts that Nintendo made for you to keep your bits safe from erasing, harm or loss. its your forever till you break it. But you can feel it.

Idk why people don't see the importance of OWNING an actual touchable thing.
That mentality goes beyond just games and it will be our doom. No i'm not being dramatic, its literally like that.
You can have whatever format you want, but you should understand an importance of owning physical things.

wsh1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its a cartridge ok? :)
Post automatically merged:

downloadable should be an option. owning a physical game should be a thing. You should OWN a damn thing, not having it in bits. You still own a bits, but they are on volatile memory unlike proprietary carts that Nintendo made for you to keep your bits safe from erasing, harm or loss. its your forever till you break it. But you can feel it.

Idk why people don't see the importance of OWNING an actual touchable thing.
That mentality goes beyond just games and it will be our doom. No i'm not being dramatic, its literally like that.
You can have whatever format you want, but you should understand an importance of owning physical things.
Exactly, of course downloadable should still be a thing, but i think that as soon as you pay more than 10 euros (or well, the same value in your currency) it should not be digital ONLY.

to me personally it is like this: i plan on buying zelda TOTK, why? just bc i am a HUGE fan of the series and have never been disappointed by zelda games. This will likely set me back 70 Euros. So in e few years the switch will be legacy hardware, the switch eshop will go down and well... i just like to be sure that if my switch evnetually dies and i have to buy a new secondhand one i still have access to my own games.

Digital only is flawed in that way. of course there is worse ways to distribute games, like how a certain company forced a certain trilogy to be only streamable on switch, making it playable as long as they decide to keep the server online EVEN if you dont erase the software... such games should not be marketed as "for sale" but more like "for lease"

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The biggest flaw of Digital editions is that once the store its form closes or delists it you can no longer play the game you bought if something happens to the console/PC it was installed on
I think the advantage of physical releases is kind of diminished considering companies see fit to release partly-unplayable software on physical media that absolutely requires an update that is only available by digital download. At that point the cartridge practically becomes nothing more than a dongle for a digital release. But that's probably stating the obvious.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Has Sega fixed the screw up they did and that's why it's called the "Plus" edition?
Don't think so.

They will be calling "Plus", this and all other releases, because Mania had some success with its Plus version, so they will get into the same wagon. They really think players are stupid.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought origins on the series x for like five bucks during a sale. The plus version sounds like mania plus, gotta build them all. Or is that pokemon if it's reverse engineered?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7