"Sonic Origins Plus" officially announced, features playable Amy

UPDATE: Sega has just released a trailer for the game in its official "Sonic The Hedgehog" YouTube Channel. The trailer came just a couple hours after the ComicBook.com article that got posted and then deleted, leaking the information of the game beforehand.

The whoopsies keep on coming for Sonic Origins related news, since not only was a rating for the alleged "Sonic Origins Plus" expansion leaked on Korean boards some months ago, but now we get new information regarding the elusive expansion to Sonic Origins.

Website ComicBook.com posted an article by mistake on March 22nd about "Sonic Origins Plus" with brand new information regarding the title. Not only was the release date and full price tag revealed, but also the entirety of what the expansion will include, as well as other features and physical media that will go alongside it.

According to the leaked article, the game will release on June 23rd to celebrate Sonic's anniversary, and the price tag for it will be $39.99, in both physical and digital formats (unlike the original Sonic Origins which was only released in digital form). Gamers which already own Sonic Origins will be able to upgrade their base game for a mere $9.99 to add all of the features that the "Plus" expansion brings.

As for the actual features that the Plus expansion will bring, this is what the leaked article listed:
  • (Sonic Origins) Main Game
  • 12 Game Gear Games Emulated and Playable in the Museum. These include:
    • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    • Sonic Chaos
    • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    • Sonic Drift
    • Sonic Drift 2
    • Sonic Spinball
    • Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
    • Tails Adventure
    • Tails' Skypatrol
    • Sonic Labyrinth
    • Sonic Blast
  • Classic Amy as a Playable Character in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, and Sonic CD
  • Knuckles as a Playable Character in Sonic CD
  • All Previously Released Sonic Origins DLC
  • 20-Page Artbook (Physical exclusive)
  • Reversible Coversheet with New, Never-Before-Seen Art (Physical exclusive)
Sonic Origins Plus will be available in both physical and digital formats for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X and PC.

:arrow: Archived leaked article from Comicbook.com

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was really hyped for the OG Origins, but the game was godawful compared to Mega Collection and Gems.
The menus feel dead, its buggy and feels unfinished as its literally just mobile ports with a UI slapped on top.
also dont mention the prototype tracks in Sonic 3 that literally ruin the game for me and no I cant mod them if I play them on console.

if they dont polish up the main game this is just another SEGA cash grab....

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fuck SEGA, they released this game in a godawful state last year for $40, people bought it anyway, and now they're charging them another $10 for the DLC while all new customers get the game with DLC for the same $40 price tag. Like, just wow. They really want their existing customers to feel buyer's remorse, eh?

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So this seems to adress all complaints about the features this game could have had, I'm curious if this will release with a round of bug fixes, I might buy the game if so...

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For those wondering, there was an announcement also saying that several other bugfixes and improvements have been made to Origins, aside from the new features listed for Plus, so we can expect those as well

Reactions: Idaho and shaunj66

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added the Amy mod to the android build of sonic mania, but I think it requires plus, which I've agreed to no longer share.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
For those wondering, there was an announcement also saying that several other bugfixes and improvements have been made to Origins, aside from the new features listed for Plus, so we can expect those as well

I'd love to see the changelog once it's released :)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of adding in the same 12 Game Gear games that they added to Sonic Adventure DX, two decades ago at that, here is what I propose they add as the untouched bonus games (and yes, I'm going way out of line with unreasonability, but I don't care):

Sonic 1 (Master System version for better resolution than Game Gear version)
Sonic 2 (Master System version for better resolution than Game Gear version)
Sonic Chaos (Master System version for better resolution than Game Gear version)
Sonic Triple Trouble (Create a new Master System version for better resolution than Game Gear version. This is truly my biggest request here, I recognize that)

Sonic Labrinth
Tails Sky Patrol
Tails Adventure

Knuckles Chaotix

Sonic Spinball (Genesis version)
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (Genesis Version)

Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn version)
Sonic R

Sonic Pocket Adventure

Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle

Sonic Rivals
Sonic Rivals 2

Sonic The Fighters
SegaSonic The Hedgehog

Yes, yes, its all very outlandish, but this would be the perfect collection of classic games to add to the enhanced Genesis originals. Anything more would either be full-on 3D games that belong in their own collection, require two screens and just wouldn't work well for modern hardware, or are just so bad or redundant that they should be forgotten about: Sonic Blast is an awful game, we should not continue to draw attention to it's existence. It'd be hard to justify either Sonic Drift when Sonic R and the Sonic Rivals games make for better racers than those old Game Gear games. And I don't think anyone wants to acknowledge Sonic 4 in any form anymore. I suppose an argument could easily be made to include Sonic Mania, but that's still a modern game that can reasonably continue to be sold as its own separate release.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pocket Adventure and the GBA games were HUGE missed opportunities. Pocket Adventure has never been re-released, and Sonic Advance has only been re-released in Japan. Since the Advance trilogy won't be included in Origins Plus, Nintendo needs to at least try to get it on Switch Online. I'm going to lose it if it's on there but exclusive to Japan again.

Last edited by LightspeedAdventurer,
Reactions: Idaho

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
This expansion/update only makes sense if they fixed all issues in the games included with the base game, because all of them lack polish to some extent, a few examples are:
  • The stiff drop dash in Sonic 1, 2 and CD
  • The muffled audio and weird physics in Sonic 3
  • The terrible audio mixing in Sonic CD
  • Not being able to select a zone after 100% a game (except for Sonic 3 and time trial mode)
Also, it would feel much more complete if they also included the emulated versions of other genesis sonic games as bonuses (3D Blast, Spinball and even Chaotix) and options to customize the experience in the remastered games.
2.0.0 is out and they only fixed the first issue I mentioned, what the fuck was Headcannon and Sonic Team doing this entire time?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Honesty I am glad I didn't get this game, it seems designed to piss fans off.

Having the Android Sonic 1 and 2 remakes and the Steam Sonic CD remake, playable Amy is not a good reason to buy a game that's not fully physical even in the deluxe version.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Honesty I am glad I didn't get this game, it seems designed to piss fans off.

Having the Android Sonic 1 and 2 remakes and the Steam Sonic CD remake, playable Amy is not a good reason to buy a game that's not fully physical even in the deluxe version.

A disc with 50GB ~ 100GB isn't enough for Sega they have to make it downloadable? Wtf.

That's annoying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.