"Sonic Superstars" gets a new multiplayer-focused trailer

The highly awaited return of Sonic into the 2D (or rather 2.5D realm) just got a brand-new trailer today, which focuses entirely on the multiplayer mechanic that will be introduced in the new "Sonic Superstars" entry.

The trailer showcases all the main playable characters, those being Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy, going through some of the zones from the game, and we catch a glimpse of what could possibly be new abilities with Sonic doing some sort of aimed up-ward attack on some balloons. Not only that, but we also get to see the new Battle Mode with a customization option for creating characters, with the one character shown highly resembling that Metal Sonic and/or Knuckles with some Tails' aesthetic (Tails Doll also comes to mind), reminiscing of the Sonic Adventure styles, with some unique abilities and attacks too.

At the end of the trailer we get to see some of the exclusive bonuses that will be included in the Deluxe Edition, like a Lego Fun Pack, exclusive Mech Parts for Battle Mode, and an all new Rabbit Skin which is based off from the early designs for Sonic.

Sonic Superstars is set to release on October 17th, 2023 for PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam and Epic Games.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Music and level design are getting worse and worse with each new trailer. Disappointing.
So far the level design looks good to me, this is the first time ever they are making a 4-player co-op with classic Sonic level design, they had to make certain things different from what we are used to accommodate all players at once, Nintendo did the same thing with New Super Mario Bros. Wii and 3D World back in the day.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Music and level design are getting worse and worse with each new trailer. Disappointing.
Sounds like Sonic 4 music to me which now it kind of makes sense why an early build on YT used Sonic 4 music, too. I thought it was temporary, but who knows...

God, that effin music sounds like trash.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah we all know how the multiplayer panned out before it was copy sonics every fucking move or get left behind off the screen. now imagine trying to do that with 4 players or whats it going to do stop the screen from scrolling until the rest catch up that would be even worse :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah we all know how the multiplayer panned out before it was copy sonics every fucking move or get left behind off the screen. now imagine trying to do that with 4 players or whats it going to do stop the screen from scrolling until the rest catch up that would be even worse :lol:
The whole "everyone's a winner" thing is nonsense and in games like this, if players can't keep up then they deserve to be left behind.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it looks like from the trailer they are gearing this sonic at MP filling it with stupid gimmicks to do with your friends. i'm losing hope already at it being a good sonic game. the circle strikes again

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The music sounds really good to me. It's not quite Mania levels of brilliance, which is weird because Tee Lopes has said he thinks his work on this is better on his Twitter, but it sounds good so far. I'll reserve judgement until I hear the full ost. This track (badly isolated) from one of the previous trailers is my favourite so far.

I am mildly concerned about the level design. Mania (again) absolutely nailed it for the most part with how it balanced the challenge between the platforming and high speed sections. From the Superstars footage I've seen so far, it mostly looks like there's little challenge or interesting design outside the high speed parts.

On the other hand, I love the animation on the characters in this trailer. It's very well done. They haven't been this well animated in a long time. SEGA is clearly putting in effort. I think the game will be good, possibly even great, but it's not enough to just make a platform game let alone a classic Sonic game. There's a nuance to the gameplay that you have to understand to replicate.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It feels weird living in a timeline where one of the original concepts of Sonic is officially recognized in a mainline game (even if as just a skin).

259340-sonic1_rabbit.png
a.jpg

Also, I find it funny how Green Hill still managed to make it's way into the game, although it is just a battle map so I don't think die hard Sonic fans will start shitting themselves over the color green again.

Reactions: gamefan128

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids +1