Homebrew SigHax Updates and Discussion Thread

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
so essentially only system patches are achievable (aka things like luma3ds) using otp? but the bootrom key would be like actual firmware (all the way down to arm9 arm7 arm11) anything it can handle?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

so we could technically patch the boot0 to load our otp automatically?
bootrom is basically the bootloader in other devices, the 3ds arm9 process is then started after bootrom verifies boot0 is signed(its basically the OS you have installed booting up). The otp is used to sign the arm9loader and what a9lh is is overwriting it to something more useful lol. More info here: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/OTP_Registers

Last edited by KevinX8,

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
bootrom is basically the bootloader in other devices, the 3ds arm9 process is then started after bootrom verifies boot0 is signed(its basically the OS you have installed booting up). The otp is used to sign the arm9loader and what a9lh is is overwriting it to something more useful lol
understood. so itll be like having a wii with boot1

Zan'

2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F
Trophies
XP
Country
A9LH can be used for a full OS replacement. It hasn't been done yet (besides the Linux PoC) because no one has bothered.

The only real difference here is you can use the FIRM partitions to store custom stuff, whereas A9LH requires original Nintendo FIRM partitions.
Mind telling my how a patch based OS replacement should work?

I mean TECHNICALLY it would be possible to load up a different OS from A9LH, but that would require you to do a whole shit ton of reversing of the current system fw, patching calls to get certain methods to run. And most of that would have to be done assembly based at some point.
Have fun creating bytecode patches that let you turn the 3DS OS into i.e. a Linux OS. It's near impossible.

The Linux PoC you're talking about is running an OS from the 3DS OS. it's not a replacement. It's more comparable to a VM.

To make this easier to understand.
It's TECHNICALLY possible to turn your webbrowser into a game, by patching the program (with for example a Debugger), but noone would even attempt it because it doesn't make a lot of sense and is a lot of work to get done.
Running a game in your webbrowser however is not that difficult, you just need to adapt whatever you run to whatever the Browser can run.

Last edited by Zan',

adrifcastr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mind telling my how a patch based OS replacement should work?

I mean TECHNICALLY it would be possible to load up a different OS from A9LH, but that would require you to do a whole shit ton of reversing of the current system fw, patching calls to get certain methods to run. And most of that would have to be done assembly based at some point.
Have fun creating bytecode patches that let you turn the 3DS OS into i.e. a Linux OS. It's near impossible.

The Linux PoC you're talking about is running an OS from the 3DS OS. it's not a replacement. It's more comparable to a VM.

To make this easier to understand.
It's TECHNICALLY possible to turn your webbrowser into a game, by patching the program (with for example a Debugger), but noone would even attempt it because it doesn't make a lot of sense and is a lot of work to get done.
Running a game in your webbrowser however is not that difficult, you just need to adapt whatever you run to whatever the Browser can run.
is your custom title actually the bootrom key:
2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F ???! :rofl2:

adrifcastr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For Now:
We are not yet able to do any of this.
Derrek did dump the bootrom and provided a simple explanation of how he did it.
He did not make the bootrom public though. Nor any of the code he used.

This means someone would have to develop code that exploits the Bootrom pointers and leads them to dumper code to dump the bootrom. Which is unstable and likely needs you to have a hardmod to trigger this very early exception without the chance of killing your device.

Thanks to @Zan' for Correcting my OP

reading helps

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
youve got ninja´d xd
oh, sorry. I'm on mobile so that's why slowpoke.
ninja'd :P

EDIT: Sorry, what he didn't give was the full dump, right? What i do know is that what he gave was a bit more of stage1 as to where to even begin to exploit the bug. (as in devs still got to RE a lot to get to his hashes)

Last edited by Alex658,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Thanks ken
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Great game. But I'd buy it straight up before paying for prime. Unless you order something everyday from amazon, not worth it imo
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm one of those people that Amazon loses money on the Prime subscription with
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I abuse the fuck out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Prime says I've already saved $400 this year lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Where do you see how much you've saved?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Under orders
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    See maybe good for you guys, but I don't hardly ever order from amazon, maybe only couple times a month
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Primes great because I stopped getting into arguments with the door greeter at Walmart
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahahaha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They see me so much in there they don't even ask for me receipt anymore tbh
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Pain in the ass, don't see it anywhere on the desktop site, had to pull it up on my phone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think they gave up on the website and mainly focus on the app
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Desktop site > mobile site > mobile app
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Mobile app is such absolute dogshit, I haven't used it in SO long
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah mobile versions better people don't think about how apps are just shrunken down websites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be the phone connection etc I've mostly been fine with the app
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Regardless fuck bezos
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Agreed. Crazy how both seeking a job at Amazon, and subsequently quitting Amazon, are both some of the best decisions I've ever made
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did someone loose a leg? You're fired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs 55gb patch for hogwarts legacy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Teslas are prob running Windows XP to this day.