Homebrew SigHax Updates and Discussion Thread

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have been ninja'd sir
Blah, did not see this post. Oh well.

Still not sure why everyone thinks sighax somehow enables massive OS modifications that aren't doable with A9LH.
why would nintendo have 2 keys to check your firmware's validity??? that's just idiotic, thats exactly what sighax is, anyone can sign it with the hacked together key and everyone can flash it to their 3ds no problem
There is a second key used for FIRM: the encryption key. This is system-specific, and I'm guessing it's derived from the OTP. Of course, due to the XOR plaintext vulnerability, the FIRM key isn't strictly needed as long as you have the plaintext FIRM.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +FIRM key

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
I know that, but we are already launching our own code, and we are getting control over the hardware (arm9 and arm11) early in boot (after arm9loader). Because of this we are already able to do everything we want.
This means, with Sighax we would be able to directly load our own code as firmware, instead of placing it as arm9loaderhax.bin on the sd-card.
Actually, current "CFW"s are not custom firmwares, but patchers. This would allow us to have a proper, real custom firmware.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, current "CFW"s are not custom firmwares, but patchers. This would allow us to have a proper, real custom firmware.
Again, this could be done right now. The only difference would be loading from the FIRM partition instead of SD. (Chances are initial sighax implementations will simply chainload arm9loaderhax.bin anyway.)

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Blah, did not see this post. Oh well.

Still not sure why everyone thinks sighax somehow enables massive OS modifications that aren't doable with A9LH.
well essentially since we are able to install legit signed with k11 hax we should be able to self sign with sighax meaning we can install custom software and install stuff ourselves. we can make all the exploitable software we want and can essentially open a whole new world for devs (expect many bricked 3ds)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Again, this could be done right now. The only difference would be loading from the FIRM partition instead of SD. (Chances are initial sighax implementations will simply chainload arm9loaderhax.bin anyway.)
only difference would be the need for k11 alone rather than k9

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Either way, there is NOT full control over the system without the BootROM exploit. Either way, my point was, current "CFW"s are not CFWs.

Reactions: Zan' and HyperT

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
well essentially since we are able to install legit signed with k11 hax we should be able to self sign with sighax meaning we can install custom software and install stuff ourselves. we can make all the exploitable software we want and can essentially open a whole new world for devs (expect many bricked 3ds)

only difference would be the need for k11 alone rather than k9
you still need completely write access to the NAND, k11 permissions won't get you that, only k9, dsiware or hardmod will work for that. I don't where your getting your info but your spreading alot of missinformation

Last edited by KevinX8,
Reactions: DrkBeam

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
k11 lets us install properly signed stuff so if we can trick it to think its properly installed (sighax) yes we can
arm11 kernel access lets you install cia's that have a legitamate signature, the signature is generated using console specfic info that none has cracked yet but legit cia's use a universal ticket ie. ones from preinstalled games which are not console specfic since nintendo installs these en masse when manufacturing their bundle consoles. To use sighax you have to be able to write to NFIRM and arm 11 kernel access those not have these permission. In short if you don't have hardmod, have dsiware or are on 11.0+ this is useless to you

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
k11 lets us install properly signed stuff so if we can trick it to think its properly installed (sighax) yes we can

sighax utilizes a fake signature and only the bootrom accepts it. Process9 (I think that handles sigchecks? w/e) will reject this fake signature.

Last edited by metroid maniac,

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
arm11 kernel access lets you install cia's that have a legitamate signature, the signature is generated using console specfic info that none has cracked yet but legit cia's use a universal ticket ie. ones from preinstalled games which are not console specfic since nintendo installs these en masse when manufacturing their bundle consoles. To use sighax you have to be able to write to NFIRM and arm 11 kernel access those not have these permission. In short if you don't have hardmod, have dsiware or are on 11.0+ this is useless to you
i see thanks for clarifying this (im new to the 3ds scene so i dont understand everything but am willing to learn if someone knows)

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
i see thanks for clarifying this (im new to the 3ds scene so i dont understand everything but am willing to learn if someone knows)
no problem, the bootrom key is purely used to sign boot0 nothing else, this was done intentionally since signing everything with 1 key is a terrible idea. Most of the other keys are contained in your otp for various other things but not for title installs or bootrom, otp is only used at the beginning of boot just after bootrom and once arm 9 is finished booting it gets locked away permanently

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
no problem, the bootrom key is purely used to sign boot0 nothing else, this was done intentionally since signing everything with 1 key is a terrible idea. Most of the other keys are contained in your otp for various other things but not for title installs or bootrom, otp is only used at the beginning of boot just after bootrom and once arm 9 is finished booting it gets locked away permanently
so essentially only system patches are achievable (aka things like luma3ds) using otp? but the bootrom key would be like actual firmware (all the way down to arm9 arm7 arm11) anything it can handle?

so essentially only system patches are achievable (aka things like luma3ds) using otp? but the bootrom key would be like actual firmware (all the way down to arm9 arm7 arm11) anything it can handle?
so we could technically patch the boot0 to load our otp automatically?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH can be used for a full OS replacement. It hasn't been done yet (besides the Linux PoC) because no one has bothered.

The only real difference here is you can use the FIRM partitions to store custom stuff, whereas A9LH requires original Nintendo FIRM partitions.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Viagro enlargo