Hacking Screwed up bad, please help! vWII cIOS screw up!

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you not just re-name the file extension? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been confused because I thought they were basically two different extensions for the same format of file

that's what I though, just rename boot.dol to boot.elf

i was told that casper loader and pussyloader wont work on the vWII and not to touch them. Do you think its safe?

ok then, bad idea. I didn't know if they could be used with vWii or not.

are you using a 2GB SD?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you not just re-name the file extension? Forgive my ignorance, but I've been confused because I thought they were basically two different extensions for the same format of file

No that doesn't work. The file extension actually needs to be .elf from the get go (i already tried :( ) I used a dol>elf converter but apparently that doesnt work either.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's the best one to use. Wii homebrew can be picky sometimes with the SD card. I once used a white Wii Sandisc 2GB SD card to make a nand dump, but the same SD card wasn't compatible to re-install the nand dump.

Did that work for you to change the file name from boot.dol to boot.elf?

1IhxHJs.jpg
No it doesnt work :/ I just tried and keep getting errors.

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can get YAMMM to open because that file comes with a .elf file and the same applies to Wii Mod Manager v3.1. YAMMM freezes up when i load from IOS 249 and crashes with 250. There are no vulnerabilities i was told with some of the lower ones which is why i keep getting thrown error codes.

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an overall update of the trial and error ive encountered thus far, and none of these methods come work.

-Tried installing IOS 58 from YAMMM directly from Lego Star Wars Exploit which requires boot.elf and NOT boot.dol. Upon reading the SD card using revisions 249-251 the Screen hangs at Loading SD card... Please wait.... (I was told because i installed the incorrect cIOS's previously and is causing issues.)

-I tried converting boot.dol into boot.elf using a tool and that hadnt seem to work either, i keep getting errors after the exploit.

-I found a different mod manager called Mod Manager v3.1 (must be pretty old and for original wii) and with it (it has .elf) i was able to boot up the wad using its WAD manager and get these two errors -1017 ticket error when trying to apply the IOS 58.wad i have for vWII and -2011 when i try to apply any kind of channel what so ever. With the YAMMM sometimes it asks if i want to enable NAND emulation (whatever the hell that means) and it usually is set to disabled because when i enable it it just hangs.

When i run the Check IOS thing in the Mod manager it just hangs while searching for IOS's.

-Ive read of some guy who fixed this issue by installing a channel to directly install his IOS 58 and when i try to install this channel i keep getting errors. What i need is a reliable installer like WiiModLite with a boot.elf file.

-Does anyone know of any other exploit that can be used to load .dol instead of .elf files?

-Does anyone know if i can jump straight to the d2x cIOS installer to apply the right cIOS's to the right spots. Then i might be able to load the correct IOS since there will be no conflicts.

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres is a summary of how i got myself into this mess.

-Installed exploit and everything properly following the lego star wars exploit. I installed all of the correct cIOSs in their correct bases and then continued to enjoy my vWII (hell i even just beat twilight princess). I got fed up with the issues of not having a reliable way to run gamecube games directly from wiiFlow so i decided to give abz masterpack a shot.

-Going down the Installation lists it said to install all of these files so i did so NOT realizing that these files were for the REGULAR wii not the vWII.

Real Nand IOS/cIOS:
IOS58-64-v6176.wad
cIOS202[60]-hermesrodries-v6.wad
cIOS222[38]-hermes-v5.1.wad
cIOS223[57]-hermes-v5.1.wad
cIOS224[37]-hermes-v5.1.wad
cIOS245[37]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad
cIOS246[38]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad
cIOS247[53]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad
cIOS248[55]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad
cIOS249[56]-d2x-v10-beta52.wad
cIOS250[57]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad
cIOS251[58]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad
cIOS252[56]-d2x-v10-beta53-alt.wad

I installed every single on of these wads in the NAMMM through the hombrew channel and after trying to exit out back to the HBC the screen froze. I hard reset my wii and ever since then I cant get any access to HBC/WiiFlow.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it doesnt work :/ I just tried and keep getting errors.

I'm lost. Most I can recommend is to play around with one of those apps that you could get running, but only to install vWii IOS58. I wouldn't go messing with other IOS or system titles, or trying to install other stuff unless you know what it will do.

Have you tried to change the file extension of any of the vWii cIOS installers and try to get a vWii cIOS installed?

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

-Installed exploit and everything properly following the lego star wars exploit. I installed all of the correct cIOSs in their correct bases and then continued to enjoy my vWII (hell i even just beat twilight princess). I got fed up with the issues of not having a reliable way to run gamecube games directly from wiiFlow so i decided to give abz masterpack a shot.

-Going down the Installation lists it said to install all of these files so i did so NOT realizing that these files were for the REGULAR wii not the vWII.
I'm lost. Most I can recommend is to play around with one of those apps that you could get running, but only to install vWii IOS58. I wouldn't go messing with other IOS or system titles, or trying to install other stuff unless you know what it will do.

Have you tried to change the file extension of any of the vWii cIOS installers and try to get a vWii cIOS installed?

I havent tried the last thing you mentioned, but i know that my exploit wont read anything that isnt .elf

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I havent tried the last thing you mentioned, but i know that my exploit wont read anything that isnt .elf

Dude, my sources say you are royally screwed! You might have to resort to a hardmode but then again, i'm not sure that is even possible with WiiU. Good luck and godspeed.... You can always buy another wiiu at Wallmart, switch the serial code and exchange the wiiu... not the most legal way but it is an option. Best part is that the person to buy it will likely not be aware of wiiu softmodes and will be oblivious to any issues with the hidden ios

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, my sources say you are royally screwed! You might have to resort to a hardmode but then again, i'm not sure that is even possible with WiiU. Good luck and godspeed.... You can always buy another wiiu at Wallmart, switch the serial code and exchange the wiiu... not the most legal way but it is an option. Best part is that the person to buy it will likely not be aware of wiiu softmodes and will be oblivious to any issues with the hidden ios
I can still run Lego Star Wars with no issues. Will I still be able to play disc wii games? Will I have issues with wii u games down the line?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Jeremy Pettes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried to create a custom installer for the Homebrew Filter, and if it works, it the installed channel should use IOS38. Run it from an exploit.
http://expirebox.com/download/1bc281a7685683b1f90aec2419e934be.html

There is a good chance this will just freeze, in which case you should just unplug your Wii U, no damage done.

i wish i could use this, but my exploit will only work if I use .elf files. This file is .dol so when i run the exploit it wont recognize the file. I wont be able to rename it .elf and to dol>elf converter doesnt work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...