[RUMOR] Datamine potentially shows SNES games for Nintendo Switch Online

cd8271baa93d761c.jpg

Those that have access to Nintendo Switch Online are likely familiar with the included NES titles with the subscription. Though Nintendo adds a handful of new games to the lineup each month (Zelda 2 and Blaster Master are Jan. 2019's new additions) many fans have been clamoring for Super Nintendo games to also be added. While nothing has been officially stated at this time, it seems a datamine might have let the cat out of the bag a little early, as Twitter user KapuccinoHeck has discovered a list of 22 SNES games within the data for the NES Online app, which were reportedly added in the last Switch software update. The 22 titles are as follows:

• Super Mario Kart
  • Super Soccer
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Demon's Crest
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Pop'n Twinbee
  • Star Fox
  • Contra 3
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Kirby's Dreamland 3
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario World
  • Pilotwings
  • F-Zero
  • Star Fox 2
  • Super Punch Out!
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Super Mario All Stars
  • Breath of Fire 2
This list manages to differ from what the SNES Classic offers, with Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, Earthbound, and Secret of Mana missing from what would supposedly be given through the Nintendo Switch Online service. However, these titles could be planned for future monthly updates rather than being rolled out all at once. Presumably, since the NES games have extra features, such as online play and save states, these would be carried over to the SNES games as well. At the time of writing, though, nothing is concrete, and the list is merely a datamine with unconfirmed information.

:arrow: Source

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It did, look it up. It was a custom version of the windows kernel

I did:

One of the first questions I get when someone hears I work on Xbox is “So, what operating system do you guys use? Windows 2000, right?” I am honestly not sure where the Win2K misperception comes from, but Xbox runs a custom operating system built from the ground up. While our operating system exports many of the same APIs found in Win32 (e.g. CreateThread or WaitForSingleObject), not everything is there. For instance, there is no use for CreateWindow on Xbox – all graphics are done through (our own flavor of) Direct3D.

The operating system is more than just the kernel. On Windows, you have critical components such as explorer.exe, shlwapi.dll, user32.dll, and others that are required for your system to function. On Xbox 360, we have similarly critical components. When you see a required system update from Xbox Live, we are mostly updating these critical components with fixes as well as new features.

https://web.archive.org/web/2017063...boxteam/2006/02/17/the-xbox-operating-system/

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Xbox was, and still is a very interesting console.
Yes it indeed was. Have more then half the library ln disc since it is one of my all time favourite consoles

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It does :

The Xbox runs a custom operating systemwhich is based on the Windows architecture kernel[42]. It exposes APIs similar to APIs found in Microsoft Windows, such as Direct3D8.1. The system software may have been partially based on the Windows NT kernel, but it has modified log files.

So ofcourse it ain't windows NT but t is a customized version based on that since it uses the windows kernel wich the guy also says on the link you provided

Last edited by kumikochan,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The Xbox runs a custom operating systemwhich is based on the Windows architecture kernel[42]. It exposes APIs similar to APIs found in Microsoft Windows, such as Direct3D8.1. The system software may have been partially based on the Windows NT kernel, but it has modified log files

That doesn't mean it was running windows though, even says in your quote "based on" and "may have" and I got the link to the article I quoted from citation 42 on that page.

I would say they were still separate platforms, if related.

Even then, remember Halo was still ported to Mac OS/PPC in 2003.

Reactions: Kioku

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That doesn't mean it was running windows though, even says in your quote "based on" and "may have" and I got the link to the article I quoted from citation 42 on that page.

I would say they were still separate platforms, if related.

Even then, remember Halo was still ported to Mac OS/PPC in 2003.
i said a custom version based on the windows kernel but i'm not talking positively about Microsoft. Every company who does shit like that should get called out

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It did, look it up. It was a custom version of the windows kernel

And Linux is a custom version of Minix*. Or, you know, not. You want to call it a windows-like kernel, sure. It's understandable why they confusion exists because MS has a habit of sticking Windows on everything (the whole Windows XP Embedded line) to try to extend their influence. Apparently, though, the XBox team was wise enough to realize they should just create enough of a OS (kernel and libraries) that leveraged the extant API** but written from the ground up to avoid a ton of the baggage that would be a whole Windows OS, even a very stripped down one.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm sort of surprised if Nintendo goes through with this. As MS extends its influence through Windows, it seems clear Nintendo does the same with the SNES and wants people still buying N3DS hardware. It's the only current legal way, AFAIK, to buy games for a portable system***. It's not like Nintendo really needs to add "runs SNES games" to some check list to get people to buy the system. So, *shrug*.

* Even better analogies might be WINE being Windows or various mini JREs being Java.

** And as a point, although I can't readily find the reference this resulted in the XBox API being slightly incompatible with Windows because of either bugs in the XBox implementation or avoiding recreating the bugs/quirks in the Windows API.

*** Excluding buying the games in some fashion and copying the games to a phone or whatever, presuming said copying is legal where you live.

Reactions: Kioku and tech3475

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
i said a custom version based on the windows kernel but i'm not talking positively about Microsoft. Every company who does shit like that should get called out

You actually said "box ran on a modified version of windows so in that regard it was being sold on the same platform", granted you said modified but you made it sound closer than it was based on everything I've read.

I would say the Xbox and PC didn't really really got close until the Xbox One and Windows 10 thanks to UWP.

Reactions: Kioku

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It is still being sold at the moment. Not in production doesn't mean not being sold anymore
It didn't explicitly say on paper "exclusive even past the point of this system no longer being in production." Many other games claiming exclusivity also did not explicitly state "exclusive until out of production," so let's focus on games that have voided this clause way before Star Fox 2 on the SNES Classic. You ready to start the lawsuits?

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It didn't explicitly say on paper "exclusive even past the point of this system no longer being in production." Many other games claiming exclusivity also did not explicitly state "exclusive until out of production," so let's focus on games that have voided this clause way before Star Fox 2 on the SNES Classic. You ready to start the lawsuits?
i never said that i was gonna sue but i'm not a person who defends companies. There's no reason for me to defend a company and it always baffles me mind that people plead obedience to a company and go out of their way like a white knight to defend them. I just call a bad practice out and i'll never stop doing that. I don't care if it's Sony, Microsoft or Sony but if they do i'll say something about it instead of white knighting them like many always do wich gives me huge concerns for the future if people always do that

You actually said "box ran on a modified version of windows so in that regard it was being sold on the same platform", granted you said modified but you made it sound closer than it was based on everything I've read.

I would say the Xbox and PC didn't really really got close until the Xbox One and Windows 10 thanks to UWP.
On that i can agree but it was always their intention to do that and they only succceeded now

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is still being sold at the moment. Not in production doesn't mean not being sold anymore

Xbox ran on a modified version of windows so in that regard it was being sold on the same platform since Microsoft already anounced back in the day that they wanted to unify the xbox brand on pc and console hence why it was even running a modified version of windows.

You really want this to be an Snes Classic exclusive, and never want it available anywhere else. It's not your problem, Nintendo owes you nothing.

Let me guess, "but muh exclusives" motif?

Whether the Snes Classic is being sold, stopped production, etc

It. Doesn't. Fucking. Matter.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

TunaKetchup

The Goose is Loose
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Checks year...
Yes, 2019 as I thought
People still getting excited over SNES games roms the early 90's
*Quiet laugh*

Carry on

You really want this to be an Snes Classic exclusive, and never want it available anywhere else. It's not your problem, Nintendo owes you nothing.

How much does Nintendo pay you?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Checks year...
Yes, 2019 as I thought
*Quiet laugh*

Carry on

Not enough to pay me to be a smarmy, condescending punk like you *shrug*. You must be part of the "but muh Switch is hacked already" crowd. Buzz off.

Keep on strokin' that ego of yours, just be sure to use lube next time.

Why must every counterargument or post someone makes from someone who doesn't like this be a smartass remark?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

I didn't say that, as i clearly said before whenever a company does something that i don't approve of then i'll gladly give my opinion about that. If you want to keep defending companies who ain't giving you shit and white knighting them then that's your thing plus the replies you do give to me and other people are quite disrespectful so not gonna argue any further with you since i hate talking to people who act condescending like you do

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say that, as i clearly said before whenever a company does something that i don't approve of then i'll gladly give my opinion about that. If you want to keep defending companies who ain't giving you shit and white knighting them then that's your thing plus the replies you do give to me and other people are quite disrespectful so not gonna argue any further with you since i hate talking to people who act condescending like you do

If you say so, buddy.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Xbox ran on a modified version of windows so in that regard it was being sold on the same platform since Microsoft already anounced back in the day that they wanted to unify the xbox brand on pc and console hence why it was even running a modified version of windows.
lol so your just making excuses lol they release a game highly advertised to be only on xbox and one year later they released it on pc lol so yeah your just making excuses, the switch can also run the same exact emulator found on snes mini so by that logic then there isnt an issue.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
lol so your just making excuses lol they release a game highly advertised to be only on xbox and one year later they released it on pc lol so yeah your just making excuses, the switch can also run the same exact emulator found on snes mini so by that logic then there isnt an issue.
And did i say that was good ? No it ain't. I'm not defending Microsoft regarding that. Again be it Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft, i'll gladly call every company out if they do shitty things. I don't pledge allegiance or loyalty to a company. I'm not a fucking fanboy

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And did i say that was good ? No it ain't. I'm not defending Microsoft regarding that. Again be it Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft, i'll gladly call every company out if they do shitty things. I don't pledge allegiance or loyalty to a company. I'm not a fucking fanboy

Then don't buy their damn products in protest. No amount of your exclusivity bitching all day is going to stop them or show them. Quit your whinging about exclusivity, you're not a lawyer.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Checks year...
Yes, 2019 as I thought
*Quiet laugh*

Carry on

It's an incentive and very nostalgic. I've all but given up on any decent games coming from this generation on most platforms. God of War was the only one that didn't bore me after half an hour.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: