Homebrew Emulation [Release] DOSBox-SVN port for 3DS

Tebra

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Prince of Persia 2 and Zeliard also works good. But the music is sometimes not so good.
For your information I can’t find « : » key on virtual keyboard.
Can you tell me how to map key combination like Ctr+q ?
Edit: in fact alt and ctrl keys don’t works at all. So it is not possible to control the character in prince of Persia 2

Last edited by Tebra,

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is sort of difficult to double click using your UI (which is awesome). An ability to adjust sensitivity would be helpful. A better alternative might be to map mouse controls to the C-stick and map the Left and Right Mouse click to buttons.
The mouse input is very sensitive at the moment. The same code has been used from the retroarch bottom screen input i've been working on, which behaved a bit differently. I'll still have to optimize for this port.
For example; Using the 'right button' is a real challenge, double tap and hold without moving more than a pixel.
While this works great with PCSX-rearmed playing Red Alert, it's nearly impossible to do with this port.

The exact reason the c-stick isn't available for button mapping is me wanting to use it as a dedicated mouse. It's one of the many things on my todo list. As well as binding mouse buttons to the controller.

I'm getting this error on launch: "Can't allocate main memory of 16MB".

The system is an O2DS. It DOES create a dosbox-SVN.conf file.

[Edit]
After that, I edited the .conf file, changing "memsize" value from 16 to 8 or 12. That error is gone, but dosbox closes without any error message nor any log.
It's simply running out of memory. To be exact; it can't allocate the memory blocks required for the dynamic core.
The project can be build without supporting the dynamic core, which should make it run. However, it will probably be way to slow to be usable.

Prince of Persia 2 and Zeliard also works good. But the music is sometimes not so good.
For your information I can’t find « : » key on virtual keyboard.
Can you tell me how to map key combination like Ctr+q ?
Edit: in fact alt and ctrl keys don’t works at all. So it is not possible to control the character in prince of Persia 2
Prince of Persia requires a higher amount of cycles. Around 4000 seems to be right for me.

The controls not being functional is because prince (both 1 and 2) defaults to joystick controls when a joystick is found.
Joystick input isn't supported yet. You can disable it in the .conf if you want to.

For prince of persia (both 1 and 2), the shortcut to switch to keyboard controls is 'ALT-K'.
By default 'ALT' is mapped to the Y button, hold it and press 'K' on the keyboard.

ALT and CONTROL on the bottom screen are currently only registered as a single keypress. Even tho the gui indicates it's pressed (held), it's not.
I haven't got to adding those yet. They will be on the next release.

As for binding key combo's to a single controller button, this will be added in a later stage as it's low priority.
I really want to fix some other issues first.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How come I didn't see this great work before! Good job! I'll have a look at running some games at this like King's Bounty, Heroes of Might and Magic etc.. Nice to see that Warcraft works.

Nemios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's simply running out of memory. To be exact; it can't allocate the memory blocks required for the dynamic core.
The project can be build without supporting the dynamic core, which should make it run. However, it will probably be way to slow to be usable.
How sad. But if you are willing to make another build with simple/normal core, I'll gladly try it.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just tested and I have the same problem as Tebra : no mapper file found, Touch screen is black with a grey square. However the config file is created. How to generate the mapper file ??

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Long press on central grey button
Thanks ! It worked.
I do not know if I missed something in the instructions but I did not see that info.

EDIT : Ok saw it in MrHuu replies, but not in first post or github. I tested few games and it is already working great. I dreamed about this emu for long time, I needed to use DS(2)X86 until now. Thanks MrHuu for this present.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,
Reactions: Garcimak

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks ! It worked.
I do not know if I missed something in the instructions but I did not see that info.

EDIT : Ok saw it in MrHuu replies, but not in first post or github. I tested few games and it is already working great. I dreamed about this emu for long time, I needed to use DS(2)X86 until now. Thanks MrHuu for this present.

Sorry, with the next release it should be more self explanatory.

On another note, getting networking supported was surprisingly easy.
So, that will be included as well. yay

Attachments

• ipxnet.jpg
    ipxnet.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 132

fciq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'm getting this error on launch: "Can't allocate main memory of 16MB".

The system is an O2DS. It DOES create a dosbox-SVN.conf file.

[Edit]
After that, I edited the .conf file, changing "memsize" value from 16 to 8 or 12. That error is gone, but dosbox closes without any error message nor any log.
change machine = vgaonly can fix this error

Nemios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
change machine = vgaonly can fix this error
It worked, thanks.

But after that, I got a new problem.
When I try to mount a path, it crashes and return to the homebrew launcher.
I put these commands in the [autoexec] section of the .conf file
Code:
mount c .
c:

Last edited by Nemios,

fciq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It worked, thanks.

But after that, I got a new problem.
When I try to mount a path, it crashes and return to the homebrew launcher.
I put these commands in the [autoexec] section of the .conf file
Code:
mount c .
c:
This is mine, It works fine. Must be full path

mount c sdmc:/dos/
c:/
cd girl
play.bat

Nemios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok it worked, but the problem was still the "memsize".
With a value of 12 it was crashing.
With a value of 10, like yours, finally worked.

XWING did launch, but it's too slow.

Asaki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, awesome! I just happened to think to search for DOSBox and here it is :)

I love DSx86, but the DS's smaller screen tends to get in the way at times, and it doesn't look like his 3DS port is going to happen.

Hmm, I can't get the resolutions where I want them, though...main DOS prompt is obviously too high res at 640x480. I found a font replacement that makes it slightly easier to read, but it would probably be a lot better if I could get it into 640x400 mode, at least. mode.com doesn't help too much, either. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=66883
I'm sure CGA mode would help, but then I'd only be able to play CGA games.
320x200 resolution games seem to stretch to fill the entire 3DS screen, regardless of what I set in the config.

Other than that, working pretty well so far from the few games I've tested. I wasn't expecting it to be this fast, DOSBox on the PocketGo was pretty abysmal.

Might I suggest a "restart" option? Would be handy for older games that don't have an option to quit to DOS.

Last edited by Asaki,

Gertius

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great job MrHUU and thanks for your work! I have tried out running Ultima Underworld on a New2DS and it works quite decently. I have recorded a short video demo here:
Some audio drops during the intro. Bit of input lag. I have mapped the movement buttons to the D-pad. I couldn't figure out how to do a right mouse click with the touchscreen controls. Probably it would work well with the C-stick mouse control scheme that you mentioned above. Cheers!

Reactions: CrashMidnick

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k