Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
that is really not an option around here, why not, it can't be so hard or time consuming.
It's a lot of work for a very small amount of people. It could happen, it's just very unlikely.
You're going to wait a very long time for 3.0 support. I know it's difficult, especially for what game prices are like in Brazil, but that's just the reality of the situation.

khronos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
why not cover all the patches within the range, so no one gets shafted for buying an older 3ds on regions where borrowing or buying used games isn't easy.

b1l1s

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I could care less about popularity or userbase. I just hate it how the ARM11 stuff is just straight RE'd (not even changed a bit) from yls8's stuff, which was released without his permission in the first place.

It's a POC.. And "not even changed a bit" is a bit of an overstatement.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why not cover all the patches within the range, so no one gets shafted for buying an older 3ds on regions where borrowing or buying used games isn't easy.
You won't die for actually buying a legit game. I'm not saying piracy is wrong, but c'mon. Just buy a title you know you like.

khronos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You won't die for actually buying a legit game. I'm not saying piracy is wrong, but c'mon. Just buy a title you know you like.
there aren't retailers selling 3ds games around here, they only sell console games and prices are usually expensive in here, even more with the dollar skyrocketing, besides, i already tried that road and got shafted, i bought an game that didn't have an update within 4.x despite the patch list saying it had an patch, c'mon make a dude happy, it isn't hard to take a couple hours off your day to add support to 3.0, 2.0 has support, why not 3.0.

hairyfairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seemed like he gave plenty of credit on his repository's readme.

Reversing a closed homebrew and open sourcing it doesn't seem like the biggest crime in the world.

if the project owners really care about open source, portability and readability, why don't they comment their code? the patches in particular contain hardcoded addresses and such, and there's no way in finding out about their purpose without having to acquire and reverse engineer memory dumps or firmware images from a 3ds model that you do not happen to have yourself. if the code was commented and explained, there could be n3ds compatibility in no time.

Last edited by hairyfairy,

b1l1s

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
if the project owners really care about open source, portability and readability, why don't they comment their code? the patches in particular contain hardcoded addresses and such, and there's no way in finding out about their purpose without having to acquire and reverse engineer memory dumps or firmware images from a 3ds model that you do not happen to have yourself. if the code was commented and explained, there could be n3ds compatibility in no time.

That will come, slowly.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
It's probably closed for a reason. If you wrote a program, and didn't open source it for whatever reason, then someone took your code and did that against your wishes, how'd you feel?

Dunno, ask Gateway since everybodys either reversed their code or pinched something off them. Would Spider even exist without GW? I thought it came from someone reversing their 3.x firmware.

So it's strange a dev would come on and talk about stealing work from others, even looking at reversed code for information is still bugging around in someone's closed work.

Cruguero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I would be nice if we could change the menu msg to something like:

1. 3DS GAMES
2. GBA & DSI
3. SYSNAND

and also add a custom background

Great job, by the way

Last edited by Cruguero,

b1l1s

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Does this one has kernel access? Or doesn't it use the kernel at all.
If it doesn't use the kernel then why is it only for 9.2.x on spider?

You mean why it doesn't work with 9.x spider on 9.2+ firm right? We only have the addresses/offsets for firms up to 9.2 as of now.

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's probably closed for a reason. If you wrote a program, and didn't open source it for whatever reason, then someone took your code and did that against your wishes, how'd you feel?
Iunno about you, but I'd feel pretty damn proud that someone figures that my work is so good that it's easier to reverse engineer it instead of reinventing the wheel.

Reactions: piratesephiroth

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is already a really promising CFW.
Easy to use, custom boot options, open source, and I'm really hopeful for those upcoming features.

Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged by the obvious damage control going around. Some people like to halt progress as a means of forcing their ideals on others. Pay it no mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/1Ic2tqw_AmM?si=JprHwElZWw_oO_ii