Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
v128
n3DS 9.2E and 10.5E emunand. Works perfectly on reiNand, can't boot CakesFW.
I reinstalled everything three times, each time it fails, just a black screen when I try to boot.

Any suggestion?

_Belial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got cakes running on n3DS and n3DSXL with 9.2E + 10.5E with no issues at all. How are you launching cakes? Have you tried removing the config and starting again, making sure you have the boot emunand and enable patches set?

FEAR_1337

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why when I select the patch "Survive reboots when launching some titles" GBA titles don't run? The screen goes black and the 3D light lights but nothing happens. Yes, the AGB_FIRM is patched and everything works fine without enabling the .cake patch.

Last edited by FEAR_1337,
Reactions: Ninoh-FOX

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've got cakes running on n3DS and n3DSXL with 9.2E + 10.5E with no issues at all. How are you launching cakes? Have you tried removing the config and starting again, making sure you have the boot emunand and enable patches set?

I launch it using BootCTR. (with the right offset and delay=100. It works flawlessly with Reinand) I can successfully reach the menu but with or without Cakes' autoboot, it just does not boot. I deleted the config and started again, I even removed every files and tried 3 times. Did not work.

For the options and patches, if I'm right I only selected:
Emunand
Sig patches
Autoboot

_Belial

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I launch it using BootCTR. (with the right offset and delay=100. It works flawlessly with Reinand) I can successfully reach the menu but with or without Cakes' autoboot, it just does not boot. I deleted the config and started again, I even removed every files and tried 3 times. Did not work.

For the options and patches, if I'm right I only selected:
Emunand
Sig patches
Autoboot

What build are you using? I'm running 1.08 and not the nightlies that people are having some issues with.

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
v128
n3DS 9.2E and 10.5E emunand. Works perfectly on reiNand, can't boot CakesFW.
I reinstalled everything three times, each time it fails, just a black screen when I try to boot.

Any suggestion?
Erase every files and make a clean copy, this works fine for me.

Edit: cakes 128 works really fine in me new3ds.

Last edited by Ninoh-FOX,

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Out of curiousity, I'm just wondering what's the purpose of having cakes.dat and code.bin. Is the later useful in any way that the first one isn't?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why when I select the patch "Survive reboots when launching some titles" GBA titles don't run? The screen goes black and the 3D light lights but nothing happens. Yes, the AGB_FIRM is patched and everything works fine without enabling the .cake patch.
That's normal behavior :P

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
That's the point of it not being "the standard"

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newbie here. I am currently running rx tools 9.5 on my N3ds. I want to update to 10.5 to access the eshop. With Cakes, can I do this?

thegameksk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, you just need the slot0x11key96.bin file and the 10.2 firmware.bin (the firmware.bin can be found in the OP)

Are there any main differences between Cakes and RX?

Im a little confused. Wouldnt the 10.2 firmware not be the most recent?

Im assuming the OP also has a guide for doing this?

Would the current CIA's I have installed still work with Cakes or do I have to reinstall them?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Im a little confused. Wouldnt the 10.2 firmware not be the most recent?

Im assuming the OP also has a guide for doing this?

Would the current CIA's I have installed still work with Cakes or do I have to reinstall them?

Well the differences are that Cakes is generally more modular, so you don't have to update the whole firmware to update parts of it or add a new feature to it

There's 10.4 firm which is currently only supported by nightlies (which aren't stable) and 10.3 uses 10.2's firm, so if you want a stable experience then use the 10.2 firm (to be clear you can still update to 10.5 with it) OP doesn't have a guide for it but it isn't hard (just place the files where they need to go, enable the correct patches and go from there)

you can keep all of your CIAs, they're installed on the SD card so they're safe

Reactions: thegameksk

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Cakes is pretty much an emuNAND and nothing else. It's coded to be simple, flexible, and get the job done. RxTools is a toolkit with a lot of features, and has emuNAND as a secondary function (i.e. it's lower priority, afaik?). If you switch to Cakes, you're not locked to 9.5 like you are with RxTools for now, on N3DS (on O3DS you can go to any firmware on RxTools). Also, tools like @d0k3's emunand9 tool and decrypt9 provide pretty much the exact same extra functionality that RxTools offers, so if you need decryption tools or emunand backup tools, grab those. They just lack a "pretty" menu (though I think @Shadowtrance provides GUI builds of both now). The only real thing Cakes is missing in terms of emuNAND functionality that RxTools has is region-free, but Free multi Patcher, NTR CFW, and my fork of FMP (called Region Free Patcher, it's just a bit simpler than FMP, it has no config options and auto exits) all provide region free at the cost of needing to run one CIA after you boot (big deal).

Last edited by daxtsu,

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Cakes is pretty much an emuNAND and nothing else. It's coded to be simple, flexible, and get the job done. RxTools is a toolkit with a lot of features, and has emuNAND as a secondary function (i.e. it's lower priority, afaik?). If you switch to Cakes, you're not locked to 9.5 like you are with RxTools for now, on N3DS (on O3DS you can go to any firmware on RxTools). Also, tools like @d0k3's emunand9 tool and decrypt9 provide pretty much the exact same extra functionality that RxTools offers, so if you need decryption tools or emunand backup tools, grab those. They just lack a "pretty" menu (though I think @Shadowtrance provides GUI builds of both now). The only real thing Cakes is missing in terms of emuNAND functionality that RxTools has is region-free, but Free multi Patcher, NTR CFW, and my fork of FMP (called Region Free Patcher, it's just a bit simpler than FMP, it has no config options and auto exits) all provide region free at the cost of needing to run one CIA after you boot (big deal).
Correct, i do. :)
And you forgot one thing in regards to Decrypt9 and Emunand9... they both do everything better than rxtools and do it right. :P

But yeah just use Cakes (or Reinand if you wish) in combination with Decrypt9 / Emunand9 and you're set imo (plus FMP / RFP or NTR for regionfree). :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1