Hacking Region changer is unsafe

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
in this case the semibrick is unavoidable

but if you rip systemmenu wads from the semibrickfix an install it ,it well...fixes it

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the two processess......region change and firmware (IOS) swap are essentially the same exact thing that Licensed devs do...I know because I've watched them do it, boom semi-brick, then boom, no more semi-brick

and the really neat part about it?
Nintendo dictates essentially every step of the process, including that part, on the red-faced dev wii's.

so I seriously doubt they would set up the process for their developers if it was gonna brick a nice, pc-linked, red-faced dev wii.
sure it is not exactly the same program, they dont use anything made by waninkoko or bushing or marcan or etc.,
(And YES I know so many of you seem to think something made by waninkoko is in fact something made by bushing, silly kids)

but they do the exact same thing for testing....

why??? uhh.h......duhhh...

cuz theres no reason to have 3 times as many dev wiis sent out to a company when you can just develop a process to switch it.
so........wow......I guess it really is useful.

before your so quick to defend every word someone says....make sure YOURE being useful

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually laughing at this thread...

It's like Waninkoko is the only one to ever release Wii software that could semi-brick your Wii...

What about the new hacked VC titles? If you insert an incorrect banner, your Wii will not start up. You have to Autoboot Zelda, use the hack, and uninstall the wad. (semi-brick fix!)

Alot of Wii software has the possibility to semi-brick your Wii, but people still use it!

Oh, and if jan77 would please post... We all know you region changed your Wii... please answer the following questions;

1) Did you following Waninkoko's directions to the letter?
2) Did you succeed in region changing your Wii?
3) Is your Wii Semi-bricked, or has it ever been Semi-bricked from the Region change?

Since marcan said if you follow the directions to the letter you'll brick your Wii, that's why I asked the first question.

Let's hear from someone who has actually done this, and find out the results!

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
-lildeemo- said:
linkinworm said:
Arakon said:
on a side note, downgrader 1.1 is out, which does both the downgrade/system menu update AND the region change in one app, preventing the semibrick (given you select to do both).
theres gona be something wrong with that tho, hasnt there? anything? anything at all? bushing n marcan should help wanin make it safer tbh, not citisize it. at least then the community would be better
actualy because its one prgram with two i never walk away with a semi =3
lmao, yea i never have a semi either
tongue.gif

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
zidane_genome said:
I'm actually laughing at this thread...

It's like Waninkoko is the only one to ever release Wii software that could semi-brick your Wii...

What about the new hacked VC titles? If you insert an incorrect banner, your Wii will not start up. You have to Autoboot Zelda, use the hack, and uninstall the wad. (semi-brick fix!)

Alot of Wii software has the possibility to semi-brick your Wii, but people still use it!

Oh, and if jan77 would please post... We all know you region changed your Wii... please answer the following questions;

1) Did you following Waninkoko's directions to the letter?
2) Did you succeed in region changing your Wii?
3) Is your Wii Semi-bricked, or has it ever been Semi-bricked from the Region change?

Since marcan said if you follow the directions to the letter you'll brick your Wii, that's why I asked the first question.

Let's hear from someone who has actually done this, and find out the results!

1) yes i followed instructions
2)it is in north american region right now
3)it was semibricked,but then i installed systemMenu-v289.wad and all was well

well BS,,its just semibricking

i know where waninkoko's mistake is

he should have put instructions to install the new system menu or downgrade

i believe it is in linkinworm's post that the wii WILL semibrick by using the program and you need to downgrade if you want to use the wii configurations

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
Arakon said:
on a side note, downgrader 1.1 is out, which does both the downgrade/system menu update AND the region change in one app, preventing the semibrick (given you select to do both).
theres gona be something wrong with that tho, hasnt there? anything? anything at all? bushing n marcan should help wanin make it safer tbh, not citisize it. at least then the community would be better
No, there's nothing at all wrong with that (downgrade / menu change in one app). It's the right way to do it. I told Waninkoko how to do the region change -- and that he should integrate it into the downgrader -- because we thought that it would make the downgrader safer by avoiding the possibility of the semi-brick.

The reason we were upset was that he didn't follow my suggestion -- and honestly, I don't understand why.

As an aside, the reason why a semi-brick is dangerous is because it can fairly easily turn into a full-brick.

PS I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me whose bug it was that I "sold out" to Nintendo over

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
btw, Bushing.. do you have any idea why certain things still don't run like on a "real" system of that region? i.e. when I switch my PAL wii to US, even US genesis VC games still run at 50 Hz and not fullscreen, they still act like they are on a PAL system.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
bushing said:
linkinworm said:
Arakon said:
No, there's nothing at all wrong with that (downgrade / menu change in one app). It's the right way to do it. I told Waninkoko how to do the region change -- and that he should integrate it into the downgrader -- because we thought that it would make the downgrader safer by avoiding the possibility of the semi-brick.

The reason we were upset was that he didn't follow my suggestion -- and honestly, I don't understand why.

As an aside, the reason why a semi-brick is dangerous is because it can fairly easily turn into a full-brick.

PS I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me whose bug it was that I "sold out" to Nintendo over

Sure Waninkoko was wrong, he should have listened to your suggestion and I think everybody agree here. But, AFAIK, no one here full bricked his Wii, even the guys who have changed the region of their Wii a lot of times.

So I would like to know, how a semi brick is supposed to full brick the Wii ? That's something that bother me, if this tool could full brick some Wii, why no one has full bricked it yet ?

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
bushing said:
1) No, there's nothing at all wrong with that (downgrade / menu change in one app). It's the right way to do it. I told Waninkoko how to do the region change -- and that he should integrate it into the downgrader -- because we thought that it would make the downgrader safer by avoiding the possibility of the semi-brick.

2) The reason we were upset was that he didn't follow my suggestion -- and honestly, I don't understand why.

3) As an aside, the reason why a semi-brick is dangerous is because it can fairly easily turn into a full-brick.

1) Why do you think everyone should share your opinion ?

2) Now you're demanding it ?

3) Yeh right, treat us like idiots. And you wonder why we hate you? It's no more risk than updating a any wii console with the wrong firmware.

4) it's Nintendo's bug as it's their software, leave it alone, it's not yours.

p.s I don't use anything you have done and never will and stop insulting the intelligence of gbatemp members in your indiscriminate manner, insult me whatever, but not everyone on here with sweeping statements, you could also ask you're gang to stop that too.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
sidneyyoung said:
bushing said:
1) No, there's nothing at all wrong with that (downgrade / menu change in one app). It's the right way to do it. I told Waninkoko how to do the region change -- and that he should integrate it into the downgrader -- because we thought that it would make the downgrader safer by avoiding the possibility of the semi-brick.

2) The reason we were upset was that he didn't follow my suggestion -- and honestly, I don't understand why.

3) As an aside, the reason why a semi-brick is dangerous is because it can fairly easily turn into a full-brick.

1) Why do you think everyone should share your opinion ?

2) Now you're demanding it ?

3) Yeh right, treat us like idiots. And you wonder why we hate you? It's no more risk than updating a any wii console with the wrong firmware.

4) it's Nintendo's bug as it's their software, leave it alone, it's not yours.

p.s I don't use anything you have done and never will and stop insulting the intelligence of gbatemp members in your indiscriminate manner, insult me whatever, but not everyone on here with sweeping statements, you could also ask you're gang to stop that too.

1) Maybe because, he worked on the Wii more than anyone and if you can use you Wii to play homebrew it's mainly thanks to him ?

2) I lol'd

3) If he said it could be dangerous, he must have his reasons. Bushing-bashing isn't funny anymore, and the only reason you hate him is because of that softmod stuff that Bushing wanted to be fixed.

4) That was funny. If no one reported bugs to Microsoft, your operating system would be hackable by anyone, even script kiddies. Stop being stupid. Bushing doesn't want the "newbZ pir@te lololollolol I play WoW and Counter Strike" to be able to pirate games.

I doubt you're not using anything from him. Twilight Hack ? Homebrew Channel ? Maybe he made only two "public" releases but he learnt a lot of things about the Wii and a lot of people, Waninkoko for example, used his work to made some tools.

-lildeemo-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
-lildeemo- said:
linkinworm said:
Arakon said:
actualy because its one prgram with two i never walk away with a semi =3
lmao, yea i never have a semi either
tongue.gif
lol yeh but yerh iv used it ssveral times now its fine as far as i can see

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sidneyyoung said:

People who hate bushing ARE idiots. Without him, a lot of the currently existing hacks and tools wouldn't even exist.

Stalkid64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you people don't approve, do as we do with Wanky. Don't use any of Team Twiizer's stuff. Ever. See how far you get without the damn HBC. See how much you can do then without using the Twilight Hack, or anything that it ever led to. While you're at it you might as well delete most of your beloved Wanky's tools because - guess what - they're almost exclusively just repackaged versions of Patchmii functions and other information that came *from* Team Twiizers. Without them, your hero would have almost nothing for you.
Practice what you preach, otherwise stop being such a bunch of damned hypocrites. See how far you get without ever using something that came from bushing and co. Best of luck with it. They try to help, they try to warn you despite all the stupid hatred. You don't deserve their help.
Yet you and even Wanky were given it anyway.

bushing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
So I would like to know, how a semi brick is supposed to full brick the Wii ? That's something that bother me, if this tool could full brick some Wii, why no one has full bricked it yet ?
If you install a System Menu from the wrong region, you'll either get a semi-brick or a full-brick. Why?

I don't have a complete answer for that question, but I can tell you *how* the full-brick happens. When you turn on your Wii and it loads the menu, before it gets to the "press A" warning screen, it loads your settings from NAND -- specifically, /shared2/sys/SYSCONF, setting.txt, and maybe some others. If it detects that that file is corrupt, it deletes it.

Then, if there's no SYSCONF file there, it tries to regenerate it by putting you through the initial setup again (date, time, console name, etc). When it tries to do that, it can't find the HTML files for the setup code, so you get the Opera error message. Otherwise, you finally get the warning screen.

What we don't understand is why this happens sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't seem to be a simple region-mismatch, or else we would never see half-bricks! However, I've verified that deleting the SYSCONF file will force you to repeat the setup on a normal system, and will brick a semi-bricked system.

I learned this the hard way, when I was trying to help dCiSo unbrick his Wii -- I had him a program that loaded the menu into memory, patched it to fix the paths to the HTML, and run it. The idea was that he could then just go to settings and do a system update.

He hadn't had Internet enabled, so he went to the settings menu and re-enabled it, and then got some error message (maybe about wc24?). He power-cycled the Wii, and it was fully bricked; that puzzled me at the time, but now it's clear.

So ... as long as your settings don't get corrupted, your semi-brick will stay a semi-brick.

jan777

Trophies
XP
Country
wow thanks for that info

btw i am not a team twizzer hater

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
bushing said:
Shuny said:
If you install a System Menu from the wrong region, you'll either get a semi-brick or a full-brick. Why?

I don't have a complete answer for that question, but I can tell you *how* the full-brick happens. When you turn on your Wii and it loads the menu, before it gets to the "press A" warning screen, it loads your settings from NAND -- specifically, /shared2/sys/SYSCONF, setting.txt, and maybe some others. If it detects that that file is corrupt, it deletes it.

Then, if there's no SYSCONF file there, it tries to regenerate it by putting you through the initial setup again (date, time, console name, etc). When it tries to do that, it can't find the HTML files for the setup code, so you get the Opera error message. Otherwise, you finally get the warning screen.

What we don't understand is why this happens sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't seem to be a simple region-mismatch, or else we would never see half-bricks! However, I've verified that deleting the SYSCONF file will force you to repeat the setup on a normal system, and will brick a semi-bricked system.

I learned this the hard way, when I was trying to help dCiSo unbrick his Wii -- I had him a program that loaded the menu into memory, patched it to fix the paths to the HTML, and run it. The idea was that he could then just go to settings and do a system update.

He hadn't had Internet enabled, so he went to the settings menu and re-enabled it, and then got some error message (maybe about wc24?). He power-cycled the Wii, and it was fully bricked; that puzzled me at the time, but now it's clear.

So ... as long as your settings don't get corrupted, your semi-brick will stay a semi-brick.
are you still working on that recovory menu? 1ce thats released could we not just restory that file, what i mean is, dump a decryped NAND, then with the recovory restore that one file(as compared to a whole NAND replacement which would revert saves, not good for the user) or just have an option in the recovory menu to restory major files like this.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Stalkid64 said:
Well if you people don't approve, do as we do with Wanky. Don't use any of Team Twiizer's stuff. Ever. See how far you get without the damn HBC. See how much you can do then without using the Twilight Hack, or anything that it ever led to. While you're at it you might as well delete most of your beloved Wanky's tools because - guess what - they're almost exclusively just repackaged versions of Patchmii functions and other information that came *from* Team Twiizers. Without them, your hero would have almost nothing for you.
Practice what you preach, otherwise stop being such a bunch of damned hypocrites. See how far you get without ever using something that came from bushing and co. Best of luck with it. They try to help, they try to warn you despite all the stupid hatred. You don't deserve their help.
Yet you and even Wanky were given it anyway.

We're allies Stalkid64.
lecture.gif

Only we can take down the dictatorial rule over Wii homebrew that bushing is believed to have.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok then, Stalkid64... point me to the equivilents of Waninkoko's tools that bushing or Team Twiizers released...

oh... nothing? ok then...

Since no one else released them, we can only go to Waninkoko for these tools...

Just stop the arguing... there's no point... every point you bring up, someone will disagree, and every point someone else brings up, you'll disagree... it's a retarded mobius strip.. no one will ever win, and it never ends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: