Hacking Region changer is unsafe

plasticpie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marcan has warned against using Waninkoko's Region Changer due to the high risk of bricking your console. As a result of him releasing numerous un-safe apps, Marcan, Bushing, and the rest of the Wiibrew devs will no longer be sharing information with Waninkoko.

QUOTE said:
Quote:
Bushing and I had been time thinking about making a program to change the region of a Wii. We know what is required to change the region of a console:

* To publish setting.txt to modify the region of the console
* To install the menu of the corresponding system
* To erase all the “internal” channels that correspond to a region and to install them of the other

The complicated part but is second, since to install a system menu (in particular, if the version is smaller, which by technical reasons takes place during certain changes of region) it is a quite dangerous action. We have had the idea in mind enough time more or less parked, hoping to that we had some safe form to realise it.

Waninkoko released a utility to install different versions from the menu of the system (downgrader). The interesting thing of this is that it does by means of a IOS patch, consequently the installation is more or less equivalent to an update and equal of safe. This corresponds to the second part of the list. We knew how to realise first, which is relatively easy (if you know to do it). Waninkoko already knows to do third. Therefore, and as Waninkoko already had 90% of the work done (in the form of the Downgrader), bushing commented the one to him of setting.txt and it said to him that it would be well incorporating it in the Downgrader, to be able to turn it into a changer of regions.

Today he leaves downgrader, and I go all I content to post, commenting that now we are collaborating (something) with Waninkoko, contentment of which we have given a good idea him and that all we have saved time of this form. Then, they begin to appear the news of semibricks. , clearly, it is strange to me, and my first reaction (and the one of bushing) it was to ask to us how it is this possible one. Surprise goes ours when we lowered the region changer and we were with the following thing: the region changer only changes setting.txt.

Still more dissapointing it is the content of the README:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waninkoko
This application allows to completely change the region you of your Wii console.
This application is semibrick guaranteed for it uses whatever it without of some form to imagine that also it must change the menu of the system by other means. , Still worse certain semibricks combined with certain other actions ends at total brick, non-recoverable.

Waninkoko knows perfectly that this utility is only one third part of the process to change of region. It was released in this form, without explanations, and giving to understand that it is a complete changer of region? I am going to assume that it is not by maliciousness, so the unique conclusion that I have left is that he is an irresponsible one and it does not think before making the things. Our intention when commenting to him the one of setting.txt was it incorporated that it in its Downgrader, and thus bushing was said to it explicitly. To change setting.txt they are a few lines of code - as much for as for us. It makes this application would have cost to us less (we know setting.txt better), but the combination with a installer of the menu of the system rather more. That already had Waninkoko fact. Instead of to add the code of setting.txt and to document it all a little, which had supposed a work more or less reduced (and to do rather more the same), it has removed only one part from the process, express and evil. The idea was to reduce the necessary work for all, and in his place has been the opposite, besides a dangerous utility. And he is not because him the one has not been happened to integrate it, because in fact bushing said to him it did that it of that form.

It is the history of the FS to dumper again. At the time, I said to him to Waninkoko how to dumpear all the Flash by archives. The result was the FS Dumper and the beginning of the piracy of VC, on which already I warned to him. In fact, I asked to him that it at least did not remove until being able to speak it a little but with, and ignored to me saying that “nobody will know how to use the archives of the FS to piratear CB games”. All we know what happened just after it left. Assuming that was not a deliberate act in favor of the piracy (and reason why there is this Waninkoko, by prevailed and publicly, was not it), then it was another act of irresponsibility. Users pro-piracy: to abstain to defend to him for that reason (and to return to discuss on the piracy). He has said publicly that it was an error.

And therefore, although he weighs to me, up to here we have arrived. From now on, we are not going to give any type of information to Waninkoko. But not because it falls to us bad, or because we want to remove to the things to take the “fame to us”, but because Waninkoko has demonstrated to us that it is not possible to be trusted to release safe applications and with a minimum documentation. The things fast and without thinking, and that is indeed what cannot be done Waninkoko does. We have made a second attempt, and has returned to pass the same, so there will be no a third party.
News Source: ElOtroLado (Spanish)

rishard10212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how the elite's will not tell one that he is doing wrong, instead, lets not tell him anything. Even though wanin released something that is deemed harmless, he also put a disclaimer.

truballr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Team twiizer never release good things, its always waninkoko.(i know they made homebrew possible)

they give wanin all these codes but they bash him when he releases useful things

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
yea i have been useing this since the 1st beta version and havent had any problems must of region changed about 50 times, downgraded about 30 times, am i bricked no, anyway wanin is making the app safer as we speak

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This app is not pointless. It allows users like Jan777 who have a japanese console play WiiWare games which default language by a region check in english rather than Japanese.

I personally think Waninkoko is the Dark Alex of the Wii. I appreciate bushing and the information he has given us but.... Waninkoko is the first to try and really push the Wii to its limits.

- Glad to see the scene in full form recently. Downgrader, custom IOS, Region Changer. The scene was starting to slow down there for a while, hopefully it will stay active for a while so I have more to talk about than just PS3 homebrew over at QJ.net
grog.gif
Cheers

-lildeemo-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
linkinworm said:
yea i have been useing this since the 1st beta version and havent had any problems must of region changed about 50 times, downgraded about 30 times, am i bricked no, anyway wanin is making the app safer as we speak
exactly iv been messing about with it upgrading downgrading changing region and i havent bricked once

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
jinxvorheeze said:
This app is ot pointless. It allows users like Jan777 who have a japanese console play WiiWare games which default language by a region check in english rather than Japanese.
and lets you play out of region games other than WW and VC

Yes, you are right :facepalm: lol don't know how I left that out!
laugh.gif

thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lack of documentation; yet so many users jump the gun to download/utilize whatever *.* comes out for Wii hackables that they think is applicable to their system or has some sort of coolness factor. IMHO a lack of titles/applications to fulfill ones time on the console has people branching out for a breath of fresh air.

I loosely quote "Idle hands are the devils playground"

*side note* Nobody read the disclaimer(s) anymore? Hell Nintendo spams us everytime we turn on our console.

..guy even gives a Kudos in his readmes. Who'd he leave out?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Safe or not, I agree with Marcan when it says the applications are given without any explanation.
I like knowing what I'm running and what it changes or affects.

His apps are more like "run it and just wait it does the job".
I assume majorities just want tools like that, but for minorities who want details it might be good to make a technical readme or a site like hackmii to explain what he is doing and discovering.

For example, Bushing explained what was the fix to TP hack, and how he corrected it.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
well all of waninkokos apps have been tested to the maximum to make sure they wont brick or anything, its not that he just makes something then releases it, theres usualy about 10-20 beta versions. to fix even the smallest bug.

Gus122000

Trophies
XP
Country
-lildeemo- said:
jaxxster said:
still tho, its kinda a pointless app.
na mate it aint... its good for japan wiis and vc wads so u may think its pointless yeh okay for you but not for others so keep opinions like that to your self
Not really. I have a JPN wii and there really is no point for me to switch the region at all. I have a freeloader and what i can't freeload i can use trucha and pretty much any wad i wanted worked fine after using freethewads. The only thing i could see this being useful for is if someone wants to buy something from a PAL/N.A. marketplace but the app can't even do that. So in other words this is a pretty pointless app

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After what bushing did with the DVD read security hole, by sending it to Nintendo I wont be so swayed to forgive him. He is so worried that "his projects" will be blocked by Nintendo that he just gives the rest of the developers the middle finger and sells out. I don't care what anyone wants to call it, by sending Ninty information on a security flaw that could have been useful he's a sell out.

-lildeemo-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gus122000 said:
-lildeemo- said:
jaxxster said:
na mate it aint... its good for japan wiis and vc wads so u may think its pointless yeh okay for you but not for others so keep opinions like that to your self
Not really. I have a JPN wii and there really is no point for me to switch the region at all. I have a freeloader and what i can't freeload i can use trucha and pretty much any wad i wanted worked fine after using freethewads. The only thing i could see this being useful for is if someone wants to buy something from a PAL/N.A. marketplace but the app can't even do that. So in other words this is a pretty pointless app
are u japanese do u understand half of ure options no i didnt think so

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Gus122000 said:
-lildeemo- said:
jaxxster said:
Not really. I have a JPN wii and there really is no point for me to switch the region at all. I have a freeloader and what i can't freeload i can use trucha and pretty much any wad i wanted worked fine after using freethewads. The only thing i could see this being useful for is if someone wants to buy something from a PAL/N.A. territorial area but the wii region changer can't even do that. So in other words this is a pretty pointless app
well i can load all my imports useing this dont have a modchip so i cant trucha anything, and i have updated MIOS so i cant use freeloader for gamecube, so yea its pretty usefull, your one person, loads of people find this usefull, its like saying that chipd nand replacement is useless, but no body said it was useless everyone was like WOW OMG,

Gus122000

Trophies
XP
Country
-lildeemo- said:
Gus122000 said:
-lildeemo- said:
jaxxster said:
are u japanese do u understand half of ure options no i didnt think so
You're such a failfag, I got my Japanese wii before i knew any Japanese. It's not like it even matters, you tell me how much time do you spend on the wii dashboard going threw your settings ?. I can understand Japanese now,but still srsly who cares of the damn system language. stfu noob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings