Hacking Reggie! - NSMBWii Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey. Will Reggie support multiple rooms per one level. Or is it restricted to the amount that the level originally has.

Good work
bow.gif

GrandMasterJimmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cluey said:
Hey. Will Reggie support multiple rooms per one level. Or is it restricted to the amount that the level originally has.

Good work
bow.gif

I haven't had a chance to ask Treeki anything for a week or so, but the game can support more area's than the original so I would assume he would add that eventually.

sasaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
Right now, we have no plans for other languages than English. There are a lot of sprite descriptions and tooltips in here!

We have plenty of features, and the timer data was one of the easiest features to figure out. Some of the others, like the camera, took us a while and we still have some problems with some of the options, since it's dependent on so many things.

if you need anny help with english -> dutch translation
can't you make every word as a variable and use a eng.ini for english a nld voor dutch and so on:P

love your work

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
WiiFan2012 said:
Also the transparent thing I'm talking about is actually a layer. Like in the game, where you go behind the wall/into a cave you can't see.Yeah, you can paint on 3 layers. Layer 0 is where the hidden cave walls are placed, layer 1 is where all normal objects are placed, and layer 2 is used for the cave backgrounds.

QUOTE(cluey @ Dec 15 2009, 10:51 AM) Hey. Will Reggie support multiple rooms per one level. Or is it restricted to the amount that the level originally has.
You can add/remove zones within an area, and adding/removing areas is planned (but not added yet).

Keshire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pop006 said:
Example of POSSIBLE mario jump lines

I thought it would be a cool idea for the "Jump Lines", but I guess I did underestimate the complexity of it. The ultimate coolness for this feature would be to select an image of a tiny mario, or mario on yoshie etc, and when you move him around in the editor it showed all the potential movements like in the video... Now i kinda realize how hard this would be as there are probally a thousand+ combinations when you consider all the speeds, surface types, sizes of characers etc....

But don't underestimate the willingness of people to help out with projects like this.
Maybe if you just add the "simple jumps" for now, then get around to more later if the first work out well
smile.gif

P.S. Remember, just trying to be helpful... I am SOOO psyched about this project, i refresh this page every 7 mins on average
tongue.gif

A shaded area that represented the range of movement would be ideal. And should be simple to implement.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
n64billy said:
Treeki, when you mention zones and areas, what do you mean by them?
Each level is split into "areas" which can have different tilesets, settings and such. (See the "Area #" dropdown box in Reggie's toolbar in screenshots for example.)

Then, each area can have multiple "zones" which are located on the same map, but can be separate from each other. Some level settings are area-specific (like tilesets) so they can't be changed for different zones - but others are zone-specific.

You can move between different zones and areas using pipes/doors/vines/etc, as long as they're in the same level.

Here's an example from the game to explain it a bit better: 1-1 is split into two areas. The first area just has one zone (the main part of the level). The second area has two zones (the two underground bonus areas).

ShakaHeath

Trophies
XP
Country
France
sasaa said:
TempusC said:
Right now, we have no plans for other languages than English. There are a lot of sprite descriptions and tooltips in here!

We have plenty of features, and the timer data was one of the easiest features to figure out. Some of the others, like the camera, took us a while and we still have some problems with some of the options, since it's dependent on so many things.

if you need anny help with english -> dutch translation
can't you make every word as a variable and use a eng.ini for english a nld voor dutch and so on:P

love your work

That would be a good idea! And I could do the french translation.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Heathcliff said:
That would be a good idea! And I could do the french translation.
When it will be released, everyone will be able to help and create a patch to integrate new languages files, and send it to Treeki to include it.
As It will be open source python, right ? or will you provide crypted python script only ?
I like seeing source code to learn things I don't know yet.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Yes, it will be open source. (For several reasons: I can't legally use Wii.py in closed source apps, Python can't be reliably compiled anyway, and it makes it easier for anyone to run it.)

All of these will be up for download:
- Source release
- Windows executable using py2exe (one folder including all the files and runtimes; no Python needed)
- Linux binary using cx_Freeze (still need to work this one out - Ubuntu only has the required PyQt version in 9.10, and some people have older versions, so a binary might be easier)
- Mac OS X application using py2app (OS X stuff is Tempus's domain, but I think it just compiles to one .app file - he can run Reggie on OS X)

Right now the source is composed of one huge source code file containing the editor, and 3 extra files from Wii.py which provide compression and U8 support.

zoidberg.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just made my account on these forums but I have been following this topic daily since the first page. This is something I practically assumed would be in game when I heard of NSMB, when I heard it was not in there i was very disappointed but of course I got the game anyway and have played the shit out of it. I'm so happy to see someone making a user friendly editor. Just wanted to stop and give props to Treekie and also Tempus and others helping test/code.

mooseknuckle2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zoidberg. said:
i just made my account on these forums but I have been following this topic daily since the first page. This is something I practically assumed would be in game when I heard of NSMB, when I heard it was not in there i was very disappointed but of course I got the game anyway and have played the shit out of it. I'm so happy to see someone making a user friendly editor. Just wanted to stop and give props to Treekie and also Tempus and others helping test/code.
grog.gif
my thoughts exactly
grog.gif

kyoko_sayuri

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Now you can edit the terrain with Reggie?
(It would be nice to integrate somehow Wart into Reggie as a tool for editing tilesets and terrain)

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Reggie has had terrain editing since the first test version. It was the first feature I added.

And although it'd be interesting, like I've said several times, I'm not going to integrate Reggie with Wart. I'm helping out the author with info on formats, but they will still stay separate programs.

AJAX_2500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok treeki, i'v already worn myself out on the tanooki release(not so great, but the best that's out..) I SO can't wait for this.. You guys are the best for taking your time to do it.. Though I do have a quick question.. When you do put it up will you just add it to the first page or will we have to go to another place for a DL link?

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Treeki will edit the first post, or, should there be too many posts of chaff on this thread, we'll make a newer release thread so that people can ask questions about the editor in existence, rather than dig through all this non-relevant stuff.

As for beta-stuff, there are no lost levels (except a couple Toad houses), but there are many sprites which are unused during the game but still quite usable (not a few of them copies of stuff from NSMB DS). We've already identified no less than 49 completely unused sprites available for use. Some are as boring as the arrow screenshot, some are more interesting (such as early boss-level terrain prototypes). A lot of the new stuff has been uncovered by Tanks, so thank him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...