Reggie! - NSMBWii Level Editor

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Treeki, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2009

Treeki New Member

Message Count:
    Gibraltar
    Hey guys! I'm going to announce the development of my editor for New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Remember Tanks's video of SMB 1-1 in NSMBWii? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=190428 - Well, that was done with a prerelease version of Reggie.

I was keeping it under wraps for now, but seeing as I've been beaten to the punch, I may as well announce it - Reggie! is a fully featured level editor for NSMBWii which allows editing of most level features, with support for more being added.

- Object Editing: Reggie fully renders levels just like they look in the real game. All tilesets are supported. You can show/hide layers and completely edit the layout of a level. Screenshot: http://treeki.shacknet.nu/screenshots/romh...gie-objects.png

- Sprite Editing: Reggie shows all sprites in a level along with their numbers. While they haven't all been identified yet, there's a handy "Known Sprites" list which keeps track of the ones you know about. Screenshot: http://treeki.shacknet.nu/screenshots/romh...gie-sprites.png

- Block Editor: Analyse and edit unknown parts of the level format in a handy hex editor interface which just shows you the data for one particular section. (No screenshot right now)

- Coming Soon: I'm working on figuring out the data for entrances and views (which should allow us to fully customise levels and create anything which we want) and other things.

No release yet, but it's coming! There's also more I haven't shown yet.. [IMG]

[Edit: I've noticed that Reggie is being linked to by a bunch of blogs. Thanks for covering us guys [IMG] A lot of you though have mentioned that Reggie only works on emulators. This isn't true - it works on real consoles by editing the disc image, and we're looking at a solution which will allow modded levels to play using an original copy of the game (where no piracy is involved).]

FenrirWolf New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Oh snap, competition! Start placing your bets on who will come out on top, folks!

vashgs New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I'll believe it when I see it (lul, just kidding).

We got first release [IMG]

Epic GUI, though! I can't wait to try your release. If you'd like help interpreting entry points, stop by Game-Hackers.com. I don't really want to make a competition out of this, and I think it's better for the community if it is a collaborative effort.

TempusC New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Some of the stuff we've also got info for include:

- HUD editing
    - World Map editing
    - Menu and Char select screen editing
    - Music replacement
    etc...

Whether or not any of it makes in into the editor is up to Treeki. There are still more special features to this too (but secret).

samethernet New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    i place my bets on this one due to the author has taken longer to annonce it and that the author has described the program in more detail

VashTS Beat it, son

Message Count:
    United States
    thats funny i just posted in tanooki thread about making a graphical interface and then i see this, this should be awesome, i can see there will be many MANY nsmbw hacks out there, kind of like guitar hero.

it would be cool to try to remake smb, smb2 (japan version of course) smw etc...i would take a copy of each on my hdd

will the edited arc files be distributable (ie on this forum) to inject on our own?

crwys New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I am not 100% sure about this. I think it would be illegal to distribute the files from the disc since they are obviously Nintendo's files. Copyright?

xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

Message Count:
    United States
    most definitely

but who doesnt have an ISO image of NSMB?

FenrirWolf New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Ideally it could be implemented via Ocarina codes.

Sonicandtails New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    As a tester for this, I've made this teaser for my COMING SOON™ hack.

[IMG]

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Message Count:
    Australia
    what there's 2 editors this and Tanooki ?!
    • Newcomer

Tanks New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    We had a release ready one day before the release of the game in Australia. Why did we hold back? Well, for epic obviously. You'll see once we polish the thing off... Let's just say this goes beyond the 'game disk' itself.

Sonicandtails New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes, and Reggie! was fully working approximately 3 hours after ISO release (5 minutes or so after Treeki got the game, since his editor for NSMB DS was already mostly working with it due to similarities).

giantpune New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    like other have said, it would be illegal to pass around the arc files. but that would be teh best legal way to pass around levels is just make a patcher. it would work just like the cIOS installer does. it looks for a arc file that the user already has, and then applies the custom patch to it to change the level around.

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Message Count:
    United States
    I dont care who came out first or which one is better. So long as I get some kick ass levels, I'm happy.
    • Newcomer

cluey New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Hey.

I reckon this is cool.

Is it possible to;
    - Add a music editor, like convert mp3 to brstm. I think ther are tools from SSBB.
    - Add like in Mario 2, the vegetables, since mario can pick up and throw. The only thing missing from the predecessor games.

Thanks.
    • Banned

beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Reggie comments on use of his name for a level editor:
    [IMG]

vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Message Count:
    Ireland
    I know the intent to make a more enhanced editor WILL come when virus is on the job look at ACtoolKit [IMG] but thew read me has info on the "coming soon" feature list...

SanGor Witchhunter

Message Count:
    United States
    all I want is to play Super mario world with 4 players [IMG]

vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Message Count:
    Ireland
    We can EASILY replicate those levels with this tool and it looks to MUCH more user friendly than tanookie even! [IMG]

[IMG]

personally i welcome any of these because if they are released we can make IPS patches and SHARE THEM LEGIT of say a Super Mario World Mod [IMG] it might take a bit of time but could DEF be "replicated" to an extent [IMG] (if we could texture edit or EXTRACT TO PNG say a TILE then replace it that would make for MUCH more creative mods and replay value like the N64 Mario mods [IMG] the next thing we could really make use of for this is the texture editing [IMG] heres hoping!

SPONSORED LINKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.