PS4 gets kernel level access on FW 4.06

C8YkhwRWsAANHFy.jpg

The PlayStation Vita isn't the only system that has scene news today, as a user named qwertyoruiop has done something huge with the PlayStation 4. On official firmware 4.06 he managed to get Kernel access through an exploit. Established PS4 hacker "Cturt" also tweeted out the following:

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/CTurtE/status/848472325007822848

The web exploit is claimed to work on 4.xx firmwares, a huge advance compared to the previous exploited firmware, 1.76. There is no guarantee of a CFW or backup loader at this point in time, but it is still a huge breakthrough in the PS4 homebrew scene.

:arrow: Source

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'd like to know this too. 4.07 came out in 12/2016 so it will be a close call.

Anybody buy a ps4 recently? What bundle/firmware was it?
Ok zoogie, I have your answer. :)

Just ordered the uncharted 4 slim bundle off amazon and it came with 3.51. Kinda pleasantly surprised how old it is.
edit: from googling around, it seems 3.51 was the initial ps4 slim release firmware (and is not available via internet ala 3.70 for ps4 pro).

Last edited by zoogie,
K

KingpinSlim

Get a job you scumbags and pay for your games!
Dude... i got a job.
My job is so fucking BAD that people don't even believe the shit i tell em about it. That's not even the SPECTACULAR shit, cause nobody is ever gonna believe that anyway.
I am telling you something REAL now. If i wanna buy a game? I do that.
I just don't wanna buy 500 games, but i DO wanna have those.
Why? Because i do not have the time to play any of those anyway, but it feels nice knowing i have them if i ever do.
Knowing that some little shit like you judges me?
Now THAT is fucking fantastic. That is so amazing, i may just actually crack a smile.
Makes me wanna stop buying games altogether, just so i can taste your bitter, bitter tears.

Last edited by ,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again, where those games brand new when you had bought them? I'm yet to see any store who gives full refunds for previously unopened items.
Yes they were brand new! And that's the whole point I'm making, you cannot do it anymore. Stores now have the rule that excludes games from their returns policy unless it's faulty. This did not used to be the case.
If it was still possible then maybe these studios/publishers would think twice about releasing a crap game if they knew that they could get a shitload of product returned.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
piracy is literally the only reason to mod a console these days. who gives a fuck about homebrew, just let me play backups and pirate dlc

Game mods, running dev builds.
There's more then just piracy.
I'm happy to pay for me games.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok zoogie, I have your answer. :)

Just ordered the uncharted 4 slim bundle off amazon and it came with 3.51. Kinda pleasantly surprised how old it is.
edit: from googling around, it seems 3.51 was the initial ps4 slim release firmware (and is not available via internet ala 3.70 for ps4 pro).
bought a ps4 pro today, came with 4.07

K

KingpinSlim

Game mods, running dev builds.
There's more then just piracy.
I'm happy to pay for me games.
Don't forget Fan Translations!
Those can bring truly brilliant games to a completely new audience, who may never have experienced them otherwise!
Also.. i collect hacked consoles.
Just to have them and look at them when i feel down.
...but admittedly, that is something very few people do.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't forget Fan Translations!
Those can bring truly brilliant games to a completely new audience, who may never have experienced them otherwise!
Also.. i collect hacked consoles.
Just to have them and look at them when i feel down.
...but admittedly, that is something very few people do.

It just unlocks more potential from it.
I'm fine with no piracy, especially since I'll be selling games for a living.

Reactions: KingpinSlim
K

KingpinSlim

It just unlocks more potential from it.
I'm fine with no piracy, especially since I'll be selling games for a living.
I pirate games, but i also purchase games.
I have nearly 500 on steam alone.
Not even mentioning consoles and games outside of steam/digital purchases.
Sometimes i pirate a game at first and buy it later, once it reaches a price-point that more realistically reflects its actual value.
I might actually enjoy 1 2 Switch, for example, but no one could possibly argue that this tech-demo is worth full price.
I think there is room for both and a hacked/modded console is always the superior choice, no matter what.
At least to me.

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me if 4.07 patched something important of the 4.06 flaws?
If not, then this might work on 4.07 (So I won't update my PS4)

4.07 was Sony's knee-jerk patch to fix the exploits that the Chinese guys gave them a few months ago, but this particular hack works on 4.07 now.

Last edited by SonyUSA,
Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Scott Pilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a PS4 Pro and it came with a 3.70 firmware. I'm new to the scene so... Is it safe to update to the current version? Should I update to 4.06? Can I download game updates without updating the system? Can I still access the Store without updating?
Thanks

D

Dork

I do. I really hope there will be more homebrew. But you're just one of those guys who thinks piracy is the only reason. Not true.
I'm waiting for ****king ages for an NTR Viewer for Wii U, so you can stream the Wii U TV and/or GamePad screen to your PC so that you can record.

nobody is working on that, so unless you're gonna do it yourself you're wasting your time. there are already methods of streaming gamepad footage, so there is very little interest. backups and non-legit dlc are the main reasons most people want a modded wii u.

Think about it, N64, PSX, NES, SNES, Gamecube, Dreamcast etc. emulators on PS4 and play with your friends using SHARE PLAY!!!!! :D

LOL

there are probably hundreds of devices currently available that can emulate old games, including your PC. now we need to play the same old shit on PS4? also share playing non-legit software online would more then likely get you banned from psn. get a wii or something jesus

when ever i hear someone say they want a wii u, xbox one, or ps4 mod so they can use fucking emulators, it always sounds like they're making a joke.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nobody is working on that, so unless you're gonna do it yourself you're wasting your time. there are already methods of streaming gamepad footage, so there is very little interest. backups and non-legit dlc are the main reasons most people want a modded wii u.

LOL

there are probably hundreds of devices currently available that can emulate old games, including your PC. now we need to play the same old shit on PS4? also share playing non-legit software online would more then likely get you banned from psn. get a wii or something jesus

when ever i hear someone say they want a wii u, xbox one, or ps4 mod so they can use fucking emulators, it always sounds like they're making a joke.

Yeah true, no reason to be mad about it lol.
Yeah, the risk of being banned is there.

Last edited by thekarter104,

th3joker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being honest here, how useful is a backup loader when every time you insert disc it installs data from the disc. At this point is basically a way of saying "Hey now you don't have to change disc just to boot a game already loaded into your system" :wtf:

Yeah i know i answered my own question, but the fact the system loads data from disc into harddrive, what is the point of disc anyway? O_O
well u can put a disc in install the data install patches and update the param.sfo and some other files like eboots n shit and convert a disc install into a psn digital game with no drm or .raps or .riffs ect. I would think thats the logical way to do ps4 backups. Install a iso as a diac then convert

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: