ROM Hack [Project] Spice and Wolf DS Translation

ryu15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're doing fantastic job, bringing us that game. I'm being amazed every time I see new screenshots. I understand that school means less time, but it would be wonderful if you could post some news evey month or two. And I don't mean new screenshots, don't spoil us so much
biggrin.gif
(besides I can already see It'll look awesome, don't need any more proof).

pandorassong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought that everyone should know that i had a dream about this last night, i dreamt that the translation was finally done and i was really happy
tongue.gif

suruz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mattysama said:
how do you do the translation? do you have a word document script? or do you do it visually?

Each text file from the game is converted into a text document (thanks to jewel's converter, which took a lot of work to get right). There are hundreds and hundreds of files, and we have to translate each one, then insert them back into the game files.

But of course, we also have to see the translation in the game and see if it makes sense with what's happening..

QUOTEI thought that everyone should know that i had a dream about this last night, i dreamt that the translation was finally done and i was really happy tongue.gif

...Hah, unfortunately that dream won't come true for a loooong time, sorry
tongue.gif

benlimyong

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
[Isize="5"][/size]It would be great if you could finish this project by christmas. It would make a nice christmas present for all. Thanks for taking up this project^ ^ looking forward to its release!!

pandorassong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
suruz said:
mattysama said:
how do you do the translation? do you have a word document script? or do you do it visually?

Each text file from the game is converted into a text document (thanks to jewel's converter, which took a lot of work to get right). There are hundreds and hundreds of files, and we have to translate each one, then insert them back into the game files.

But of course, we also have to see the translation in the game and see if it makes sense with what's happening..

does that mean you could just use google translate to do all the work ?
tongue.gif

suruz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
...No.

And it's definitely NOT going to be done by christmas. We never said we were anywhere near finishing! Sorry if I gave anyone false hope :S

Also we won't be giving updates because progress is just too inconsistent at the moment :/

Hitokiri_Ace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand what you mean. lol Good luck to you! Whether it's done in a month, or a year or more, I'll wait. Soon is supposed to be encouraging, but meh. lol

Psiho_C

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please keep up the good work:D

Emm I'm not sure if you can do this but can't you find somebody in/from Japan who understand all of the game and can do the translation for you? ( sorry I don't know how good your translator is and I did get worried when I saw google translate:|

spiceandwolffan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I am excited to see this project. Spice and Wolf is such a neat series. It looks like you have all put a lot of work into this. I think that we should help you our by possibly funding your efforts. This would help you guys get closer to finishing the project and also help the quality of the project overall.

Just found out about this great site that helps fund projects like this and others:

http://www.kickstarter.com/

At this site we can contribute money to your project. I am sure we would all love to send some dollars your way to see this project completed and be awesome at that. At this site you can give stuff away for different amounts of money that is pledged to your project. So this can be a way to get people excited about your project and willing to help you out.

Remilia

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Psiho_C said:
Please keep up the good work:D

Emm I'm not sure if you can do this but can't you find somebody in/from Japan who understand all of the game and can do the translation for you? ( sorry I don't know how good your translator is and I did get worried when I saw google translate:|

gamerboy1995

Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Remilia said:
spiceandwolffan said:
At this site we can contribute money to your project. I am sure we would all love to send some dollars your way to see this project completed and be awesome at that. At this site you can give stuff away for different amounts of money that is pledged to your project. So this can be a way to get people excited about your project and willing to help you out.
Isn't that illegal?
Technically im not sure but I do know you can put like a donate button in your sig and people can legally send you money because they want to as a thank you for your work

nileyg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you thought about making a project page on tlwiki? It would probably get done faster that way, as I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to help translate, edit, and whatnot.

I'm not trying to be rude. If you want this to be a personal project I understand.

pandorassong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would definitely donate money to this cause! Also, google translate is a perfectly good translator. why are you people discriminating against google ?

suruz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A quick machine translation can NEVER compare to someone who actually understands the language and translates it properly... Google translate may seem okay for short words or phrases, but a lot of the time, it can completely mis-translate things/miss the meaning entirely.

Especially for a language that's so gramatically different from English (i.e. Japanese, other asian languages)

Also, once the meaning is mis-translated, you can't get it back however much you "edit/adapt" it... I've learnt this the hard way in the past :P

Dunno, whether we'll get a wiki for the project is entirely up to Remilia. Either way, could everyone please just forget about this project now? I'm not going to make any more announcements until we've translated a more significant amount :) (regardless of how many people bug me, lol)

nileyg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This does a pretty good job of illustrating the problem with machine translations: http://amaterasu.is.moelicious.be/blog/?p=771

And yeah, I'll just forget about the project for now. Good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c