ROM Hack [Project] Spice and Wolf DS Translation

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually bought this import game recently for my DS and I'm waiting for it to come! I've been wanting to learn Japanese for quite some time and am saving up for a Rosetta stone for all three levels, but once I get it and start learning I will try and be of any help with Translation :)

You'll need a lot more than Rosetta Stone. Knowing, "The boy's shirt is blue., "That is water.", "The boys are running.", won't really help you when it comes to Japanese.

Try taking a look at Densetsu's Learning Japanese Guide.

WiseWolfHoro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
fantasy-cosplay.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I actually bought this import game recently for my DS and I'm waiting for it to come! I've been wanting to learn Japanese for quite some time and am saving up for a Rosetta stone for all three levels, but once I get it and start learning I will try and be of any help with Translation :)

You'll need a lot more than Rosetta Stone. Knowing, "The boy's shirt is blue., "That is water.", "The boys are running.", won't really help you when it comes to Japanese.

Try taking a look at Densetsu's Learning Japanese Guide.

Haha I know I have quite a few " Learning Japanese" books, don't worry! Also, I'm getting levels 1-3 of Japanese for the Rosetta stone, not just level 1 lol. Many of my friends use Rosetta stone and love it and their speaking skills are marvelous :)

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha I know I have quite a few " Learning Japanese" books, don't worry! Also, I'm getting levels 1-3 of Japanese for the Rosetta stone, not just level 1 lol. Many of my friends use Rosetta stone and love it and their speaking skills are marvelous :)

You would need more than Rosetta Stone is what I'm saying. You could have the full collection of it and it still wouldn't teach you the amount you need to know to translate. Even textbooks don't get you that far. Rosetta Stone doesn't even make you fluent in Japanese. It just teaches you a little Japanese.

EDIT: Have you checked Densetsu's Translation Toolbox? It helps a lot if you want to translate a game and the level he recommends you to be. Intermediate being the minimum level, of course.

WiseWolfHoro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

You would need more than Rosetta Stone is what I'm saying. You could have the full collection of it and it still wouldn't teach you the amount you need to know to translate. Even textbooks don't get you that far. Rosetta Stone doesn't even make you fluent in Japanese. It just teaches you a little Japanese.

EDIT: Have you checked Densetsu's Translation Toolbox? It helps a lot if you want to translate a game and the level he recommends you to be. Intermediate being the minimum level, of course.

Ah yes I understand what you mean! I have not checked Densetsu's Translation Toolbox, I will definitely do so in the future.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive came from japan ,anyone want ahelp,i´m there...

Well, just some advice. It helps if your English is good. You might want to say how fluent you are in Japanese. Maybe even write a long sentence or two in Japanese to prove it. Cause just about anyone can say they know Japanese when they would really be using a machine translator.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
上記の男はクールだ
トピック作成者は偉大な翻訳者です
my englsih is not 100%( i only dont know that ``will´´ thing)(like: i will buy a car,/its wrong right?)
does anyone know how to traslate? i would like to do myself.some english/japonese games translation to portuguese from brazil.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How strange.
For "The man above is cool.", Google Translate gave that same Japanese sentence back.
For "The topic author is a great translator." Google Translate also gave the same Japanese sentence back.

If you want to translate Japanese games, I highly suggest first learning the Japanese language.

WiseWolfHoro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
web translators , some times gives correct or wrong traduction.
in portuguese ( where i´m now) it gives perfectly

It almost always gives the wrong translation when it comes to Japanese. As seen here.

Yeah I agree. You'll have a sentence in Japanese that says " The pretty girl wears a pink shirt" and it will translate back as something strange like " The willow tree sees all" or something.

Reactions: 1 person

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I agree. You'll have a sentence in Japanese that says " The pretty girl wears a pink shirt" and it will translate back as something strange like " The willow tree sees all" or something.

Nah, Google Translate is more perverted than that. It would make it into, "He milked the girl in white t-shirt she liked."

Reactions: 4 people

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
web translators , some times gives correct or wrong traduction.
in portuguese ( where i´m now) it gives perfectly
My mother language is Portuguese, and I can assure you that anything translated from English, Japanese, French or any other language to Portuguese, and vice-versa will end up in gibberish, granted, until google or any other web translator has an actual AI capable of understanding the phrases and then translate them accordingly, you'll never have a decent online translation (sure, it's useful when you just wanna know one word or two for fun, but trying to translate actual chunks of text, God... The horror).

WiseWolfHoro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

Nah, Google Translate is more perverted than that. It would make it into, "He milked the girl in white t-shirt she liked."

OH LORD IM CRY LOL

Reactions: 2 people

suruz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to let people know - this project is NOT dead. Actually, the translator has been working on it at a steadier pace recently. Around 33% of the story scripts are complete, and I'd say about 80% (or more) of the non-story text files are complete. Considering we only have 1 translator (most of the time), I don't think we're doing too badly.

Even so, I will NOT be replying to any further posts like "How much have you done?" or "When will this be finished?". We are trying to get another translator on board, but she seems busy a lot of the time- but progress is fairly steady.

Also, I'll be updating the first post with the new logo shortly.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone asking for the tool to extract/insert text for other language translation, you can contact [member='suruz'] for it. I'll leave it to [member='suruz'] to decide if the program can be released to you now or not. (For some projects, the project leaders like to keep the tools private until the projects are finished. So I'll leave it to the project leader to decide on this.)

However, I'm not sure if the current tool can handle any non-English text. There is a part of the codes that will be calculated based on 1 byte English alphabet (Ascii). So if your language needs some accent marks or anything outside Ascii codes, the tool won't be able to calculate it. (You can read back where I discussed about this code with tehwes. It's something not fully understandable yet.)

P.S. To [member='suruz'], make sure you occasionally insert your new translation and roughly play through it to make sure there isn't any problem with the tool. I haven't practiced programming lately and my skills get really worse. I might not be able to fix my own codes. So in case the tool has any problem, it's better that you detect it earlier.

Well, good luck and keep it up~ ^_^

Icarian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I signed up for this Forum just to follow this project, which probably makes me casual.
Wish I could do something helpful, as I really want to see this done, alas, I lack any of the applicable skills, so I will simply add my name to the cheerleading section!
Keep 'er up!

David Donotello

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I support the cause! :D. I'm a recent fan of Spice and Wolf. If I can help in any way please let me know. (although I'd probably be a nuisance):). Can't speak Japanese so no help there. I've done a little rom extraction/modding but it looks like that's all covered. My trade skill is sound engineering but that's not really applicable :/. I agree with Icarian though ^. I'll continue watching this project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.