Homebrew possibilities of DSi homebrew on 3ds (nds roms, etc)

AtomSmasherMazionga

GBATemp Resident Atom Smasher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, I have a question. I know many of you are more knowledgeable on these things, but I wanted to ask anyway. since we have DSi homebrew working on 3ds, could a DSi homebrew such as YSMenu (Link: http://gamebrew.org/wiki/YSMenu ) be ported to 3ds running as DSi homebrew, to allow loading of retail DS games and backups? perhaps I could phrase that better, but what I'm trying to get across here is, YSMenu is a ROM loader of sorts, correct? couldn't we port this (or make a new one) to 3ds, to load NDS ROMS? since it would be running as DSi homebrew, the 3ds would be in DSimode before loading the ROM, so there would be no need (hopefully) to make it run in a normal 3ds mode, which, from what I can tell, is where everyone is running into issues. since the 3ds would be in DSi mode already, it could stay within DSi mode to load NDS roms, correct? I realize I'm babbling a bit, sorry for that, and I hope everyone can understand what I'm trying to say. I speak 6 languages, so sometimes, I have issues explaining things.
[EDIT] I realize YSMenu is meant for flash cards, but it could be rebuilt (or fooled) into thinking a flash card is present, without a flash card being present whatsoever.

Last edited by AtomSmasherMazionga,
Reactions: Deleted User

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
so, I have a question. I know many of you are more knowledgeable on these things, but I wanted to ask anyway. since we have DSi homebrew working on 3ds, could a DSi homebrew such as YSMenu (Link: http://gamebrew.org/wiki/YSMenu ) be ported to 3ds running as DSi homebrew, to allow loading of retail DS games and backups? perhaps I could phrase that better, but what I'm trying to get across here is, YSMenu is a ROM loader of sorts, correct? couldn't we port this (or make a new one) to 3ds, to load NDS ROMS? since it would be running as DSi homebrew, the 3ds would be in DSimode before loading the ROM, so there would be no need (hopefully) to make it run in a normal 3ds mode, which, from what I can tell, is where everyone is running into issues. since the 3ds would be in DSi mode already, it could stay within DSi mode to load NDS roms, correct? I realize I'm babbling a bit, sorry for that, and I hope everyone can understand what I'm trying to say. I speak 6 languages, so sometimes, I have issues explaining things.
[EDIT] I realize YSMenu is meant for flash cards, but it could be rebuilt (or fooled) into thinking a flash card is present, without a flash card being present whatsoever.
no nyet ne nie niz na

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Without DLDI patches, we cannot run YSMenu, however, if you try to load a rom from YSMenu, this one will try to load a non existand gamecard from the slot-1
In short, is not that simple like porting YSMenu to DSi.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's already hbmenu working on 3DS in DSi-Mode, so you can run DS/DSi homebrew on your SD Card.
I converted some DS Demos to CIA if you want to try those. They can be found at that ISO site.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
allow me to rephrase my question. could we not build a DSi app such as YSMenu, or something similar to it, at least, to load ROMS? I mean this in the way that, with YSMenu, you choose your ROM from a list, and YSMenu loads it (I know it's more complicated than that) It would have to contain code for launching roms, of course. for example, on windows, or linux (unsure about mac) you can install a virtual drive to play games, run applications, etc. for example, WINE, for Linux. couldn't we do something like that?

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
allow me to rephrase my question. could we not build a DSi app such as YSMenu, or something similar to it, at least, to load ROMS? I mean this in the way that, with YSMenu, you choose your ROM from a list, and YSMenu loads it (I know it's more complicated than that) It would have to contain code for launching roms, of course. for example, on windows, or linux (unsure about mac) you can install a virtual drive to play games, run applications, etc. for example, WINE, for Linux. couldn't we do something like that?
You basically want to run DS roms without a flashcart.

The answer:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/possibilities-of-dsi-homebrew-on-3ds-nds-roms-etc.424466/#post-6296135

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how many people fell for the clickbaitey title :P
wasn't intended to be clickbait. if you have a better idea for a title, throw it out there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know it isn't "possible" but human beings constantly deny everything the believe to be impossible until someone decides to prove that it is, in fact, possible. it is certianly possible, there is only the matter of figuring out how to do it.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here we go again with another one of these threads. This gets asked about 10 times every month and the answer is always the same. No its not possible just go and buy a ds flash cart. As I have said before where I live you can buy flash carts cheaper than the cost of a meal from McDonald's.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
wasn't intended to be clickbait. if you have a better idea for a title, throw it out there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I know it isn't "possible" but human beings constantly deny everything the believe to be impossible until someone decides to prove that it is, in fact, possible. it is certianly possible, there is only the matter of figuring out how to do it.
Inspiring, but it isn't possible right now and probably never will be. People who really know their stuff have said it would be very difficult to pull off. Running DS software built to run from carts is a completely different animal than running from SD.

The odds of a DS emulator showing up are less dire, but it wouldn't have a chance unless its on N3DS and most likely would have framerate issues.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: nxwing

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here we go again with another one of these threads. This gets asked about 10 times every month and the answer is always the same. No its not possible just go and buy a ds flash cart. As I have said before where I live you can buy flash carts cheaper than the cost of a meal from McDonald's.
not everyone lives in your town, or lavishly. I live in a town so small the nearest mcdonalds in 30 miles away. there's nothing here. unless you count cows, there's plenty of them.

Inspiring, but it isn't possible right now and probably never will be. People who really know their stuff have said it would be very difficult to pull off. Running DS software built to run from carts is a completely different animal than running from SD.

The odds of a DS emulator showing up are less dire, but it wouldn't have a chance unless its on N3DS and most likely would have framerate issues.

exactly. Difficult, not impossible. maybe I should use another example. some of the USB loaders for Wii can run games from SD, provided the folders are set up properly. mind you I have no idea how those work. but would something similar be possible for 3ds?

Last edited by AtomSmasherMazionga,

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
not everyone lives in your town, or lavishly. I live in a town so small the nearest mcdonalds in 30 miles away. there's nothing here. unless you count cows, there's plenty of them.

exactly. Difficult, not impossible. maybe I should use another example. some of the USB loaders for Wii can run games from SD, provided the folders are set up properly. mind you I have no idea how those work. but would something similar be possible for 3ds?
Probably not for a very long time

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No its not possible just go and buy a ds flash cart. As I have said before where I live you can buy flash carts cheaper than the cost of a meal from McDonald's.
To people saying "If you want to load NDS roms, go and buy a ds flashcart." and "Why have another way of loading NDS roms, when we can go and buy a ds flashcart?", Even though it takes a lot of time and effort, please, don't be lazy. Someone with good programming/hacking skills will find a way. You never know when DS Flashcards will cease production.

EDIT: Added to my sig.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

AtomSmasherMazionga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To people saying "If you want to load NDS roms, go and buy a ds flashcart.", some people don't want to pay for piracy.
To people saying "Why have another way of loading NDS roms, when we can go and buy a ds flashcart?" Even though it takes a lot of time and effort, please, don't be lazy. Someone with good programming/hacking skills will find a way. You never know when DS Flashcards will cease production.
Thank you. at least someone understands. if it can be done, do it. if not, find a way. if it gets done, in the event all the flashcards get shut down, this is still an option. know what I mean?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why bother waiting for who knows how long just for something that might not ever happen? As far as paying for piracy, if your morals get the best of you or whatever the case may be then you can always pay for each and every ds game that you want separate and watch how much money that adds up over time being spent on them. If you really want to play ds games then it shouldn't matter how you get to play them, as long as you actually play them.

Last edited by cvskid,

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. at least someone understands. if it can be done, do it. if not, find a way. if it gets done, in the event all the flashcards get shut down, this is still an option. know what I mean?

Everyone understands. This same question has been discussed far more than it rightfully should.

Is it possible to run DS games from SD? Yeah, it probably is. Is it difficult? Extremely. To the point that it is not worth the time invested to get it to work (Considering a cheap flashcard allows you to run DS games natively). Unless you're willing to try and develop this yourself, you're out of luck for the time being (Possibly forever).

No one is trying to kill your dream. It's just far too much work for far too little benefit.

dankzegriefer

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm going to give the simplest answer possible:

No, flashcarts are cheap and easy to use so no developer cares enough, stop making these shit threads and stop being so damn cheap.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cool, so spend the next 4-5 years learning reverse engineering, the 3DS architecture, reverse engineer how it works, implement this, and get back to us.

If you're SO SURE that the people who have been working on 3DS homebrew/development for years are wrong, prove it, because so far you're just making a fool of yourself.

Darkrai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's probably possible and I think that with the right knowledge about the two console architecture and how its system works, it isn't THAT difficult (I'm speaking as a computer engineering student). But it will not be done while flashcards exist in the market, because, as you see, no one really want it. People will always seek the easy way to do things and in this case the way is use old/trash flashcard.

In my opinion smea could do it, someone should ask him what he think about it, but if I remember right he is against piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==