Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo looks firmly set with how the Switch is so chances of a "home console" version is just very unlikely. Ninty never re-released WiiU as a slimmer model or anything even though many expected it to, so that the price would be lower.
No, but Nintendo did release a Wii without BC and a Wii without Wifi.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo looks firmly set with how the Switch is so chances of a "home console" version is just very unlikely. Ninty never re-released WiiU as a slimmer model or anything even though many expected it to, so that the price would be lower.
Yeah, that's what Sony thought about the PSVita until poor sales slapped them in the face and they pulled a PS TV out of their ass to cut their losses. Nothing is set in stone, it's entirely possible if the system tanks badly, but in my mind a home console version of the Switch also seems unlikely. Nintendo doesn't like to step off of the decks of their sinking ships, they prefer to go down with them, against all odds. Case in point, they kept bundling the Wii U with Game Pads to the bitter end, even though most games could be played on a Pro controller just fine and at a $150 RRP the console would fly off the shelves (assuming that the Game Pad actually did cost over a $100 to make). Harsh reality can change the product significantly - a big part of XBO's success can be attributed to cutting the Kinect 2.0 from the bundles, allowing for a significant price reduction.

Last edited by Foxi4,
Reactions: laudern and DrkBeam
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Yeah, that's what Sony thought about the PSVita until poor sales slapped them in the face and they pulled a PS TV out of their ass to cut their losses. Nothing is see in stone, only time will tell, but the home console version scenario seems unlikely. Nintendo doesn't like to step off of the decks of their sinking ships, they kept bundling the Wii U with Game Pads even though most games could be played on a Pro controller just fine and at a $150 RRP the console wouldn't fly off the shelves (assuming that the gamepad actually dis cost over a $100 to make).
Nintendo was really stubborn with the WiiU GamePads as no one could buy them directly from Nintendo without buying the whole bundle. There's a good considerable amount of WiiU games that can use the Pro Controller but then you come across roadblocks like the Settings, accessing the Wii Mode and WiiU games that require the WiiU GamePad.

The Switch will definitely have to have WiiU games reprogrammed as it's a one-screen system and I'm glad it is! It kinda sucks with Splatoon though, it's how I imagined it'd work with a traditional controller and they made it happen but it was so much better seeing the map on the GamePad.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo was really stubborn with the WiiU GamePads as no one could buy them directly from Nintendo without buying the whole bundle. There's a good considerable amount of WiiU games that can use the Pro Controller but then you come across roadblocks like the Settings, accessing the Wii Mode and WiiU games that require the WiiU GamePad.

The Switch will definitely have to have WiiU games reprogrammed as it's a one-screen system and I'm glad it is! It kinda sucks with Splatoon though, it's how I imagined it'd work with a traditional controller and they made it happen but it was so much better seeing the map on the GamePad.
Roadblocks? Those things could've been easily patched. The pad weighed the system down when it could've been a cheap, accessible system like the Wii - it needed that pad-less SKU that could be later expanded into the "complete" set. At $150 it would've been a perfect stocking stuffing for every grandpa and grandma, soccer mums would be all over it. Nintendo's Wii U sales operation was ass-backwards and retarded from the very beginning, I'm not surprised it bombed, I said as much before it was even released.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sold very well.
Well, a lot of people bought the BC-less one and a few enough people did buy the wifi-less one, that they came out with a bit more afterwards, but that besides the point.

Yeah, that's what Sony thought about the PSVita until poor sales slapped them in the face and they pulled a PS TV out of their ass to cut their losses. Nothing is see in stone, only time will tell, but the home console version scenario seems unlikely. Nintendo doesn't like to step off of the decks of their sinking ships, they kept bundling the Wii U with Game Pads even though most games could be played on a Pro controller just fine and at a $150 RRP the console wouldn't fly off the shelves (assuming that the gamepad actually did cost over a $100 to make). Harsh reality can change the product significantly - a big part of XBO's success can be accounted for cutting the Kinect 2.0 from the bundles, allowing for a significant price reduction.
Again, successful or not, all the companies comes out with a different version. They could have very well came out with PS TV, even if the Vita sold better.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Again, successful or not, all the companies comes out with a different version. They could have very well came out with PS TV, even if the Vita sold better.
Sure. They planned to release a touchscreen-less, stationary version of their touchscreen-heavy, portable system. Sounds like a plan. ;)

The PS TV was meant to do a few things - capitalise on the growing market for microconsoles, shift the focus from main entries on the Vita to Remote Play, which benefitted the PS4 and to cut the losses incurred on designing the Vita in the first place. It was smart, but it still reeks of a last-ditch effort.

Last edited by Foxi4,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Roadblocks? Those things could've been easily patched. The pad weighed the system down when it could've been a cheap, accessible system like the Wii - it needed that pad-less SKU that could be later expanded into the "complete" set. At $150 it would've been a perfect stocking stuffing for every grandpa and grandma, soccer mums would be all over it. Nintendo's Wii U sales operation was ass-backwards and retarded from the very beginning, I'm not surprised it bombed, I said as much before it was even released.
They totally could have patched it and it'd have worked with a normal controller but Nintendo never did that.

schitts-2.gif

S

Saiyan Lusitano

patthenespunk has a good summary of the announcement, launch, and future predictions.
"cautiously optimistic" feels right and realistic
Pat the NES Punk podcasts without Ian (who is actually seriously sick) just aren't as good. Still watchable.

I changed my avatar by accident, didn't think it was going to change.

Reactions: Sick Wario

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They totally could have patched it and it'd have worked with a normal controller but Nintendo never did that.
This is just one of many reasons why I think the company is a long-term experiment - it's actually ran by monkeys that simply got lucky a few times. They operate by banging their fists at keyboards as input, with actual experts on the output end, looking at the final printouts to see if any make some kind of sense. I have lots of evidence to support that theory, for instance Nintendo's weird fascination with bananas (used as weapons or points across numerous games) or the whole DK crew. This is srs bznis. :tpi:

Last edited by Foxi4,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This is just one of many reasons why I think the company is a long-term experiment - it's actually ran by monkeys that simply got lucky a few times. They operate by banging their fists at keyboards as input, with actual experts on the output end, looking at the final printouts to see if any make some kind of sense. I have lots of evidence to support that theory, for instance Nintendo's weird fascination with bananas (used as weapons, or points across numerous games) or the whole DK crew. This is srs bznis. :tpi:
So what you're saying is...Nintendo's coconut gun fires in spurts.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's not just the "d-pad" that's a problem but the analogue stick on it too. As for how comfortable, well, that's for one to decide when he/she tries it out. For me it's anything but comfortable.
I'm genuinely curious about this, and believe the comfort of control sticks/d-pads are also partly due to the size of your hand/fingers. This may seem like an odd question, but do you have huge hands/thicker fingers? I have some thick fingers that make some controllers uncomfortable, I would like to know ahead of time.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I'm genuinely curious about this, and believe the comfort of control sticks/d-pads are also partly due to the size of your hand/fingers. This may seem like an odd question, but do you have huge hands/thicker fingers? I have some thick fingers that make some controllers uncomfortable, I would like to know ahead of time.
My hands are pretty normal sized for a westerner, thing is, Nintendo has always the Japanese in mind first so it was aimed at them than at us.

Reactions: Dav_Dabz and Jonna

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DocAmes1980:
"Personally the size and battery life are fine for what I'm going to use the portable feature for. I don't see myself taking a shit that lasts over two and a half hours."

You're lucky then.

Why? Do you have a GI problem that causes you to be burdened with 3+ hour shits? Or is the battery life disappointing for you because you had extra-bathroom activities planned for the device?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well yeah, that's what I mean. Post-process effects haven't been applied fully yet, and Switch should be capable of at least FXAA. Also worth noting that BotW is still a "port" from Wii U in the sense that it wasn't built from the ground-up for Switch.

I really didn't see any bad aliasing in BotW. From what I've seen I think that FXAA or MSAA has already been applied. Hard to tell for sure without seeing it in person.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with having an SKU without a gamepad is that it would have removed one of the biggest features they were pushing for, and it might have divided developers since the gamepad couldn't be assumed. With Switch however, I could definitely see them doing dockless version with the Joy-Cons built-in, depending on how reception ends up being with games that utilize the multiplayer aspect of Joy-Cons. It's weird because the Switch can easily replace their home console divison, but 3DS is still successful and selling right now so there's no telling if they'll end up tuning the Switch more to one side or the other later on.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll buy one eventually, I just saw something and needed confirmation. Is Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 coming to Switch? I just Googled it and it included Switch as one of the many platforms. Maybe my family will like this, the prospect of getting out of my bedroom with this contraption (though I'd rather play in my room).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas