Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one on preorder, Just wish they would have had more titles at launch. Kinda makes me mad that BOTW is only gonna be 900P.

Last edited by DHall243,
D

Deleted User

As long as it can play most games well, I don't really care about the specifics. 1080p 60fps is nice, but not the end of the world without it.
Yeah, specs on a console really don't matter for me. Every game will work with it

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have one on preorder, Just wish they would have had more titles at launch. Kinda makes me mad that BOTW is only gonna be 900P.
I'd note that XB1 runs a lot of open world games at 900p. IMO you'd have to be crazy not to be blown away by that BotW trailer regardless. This is a game world twice the overall size of Skyrim's.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Eh, that just means more empty space
I doubt it, they seemed to have broken things up into regions (in typical Zelda fashion) and done it well. From what we've seen this world seems to encompass just about every Zelda timeline in some way, and then has it's own set of intricacies as well. It'll sell systems, before and after the reviews come in.

Last edited by Xzi,
D

Deleted User

I doubt it, they seemed to have broken things up into regions (in typical Zelda fashion) and done it well. From what we've seen this world seems to encompass just about every Zelda timeline in some way, and then have it's own set of intricacies as well. It'll sell systems, before and after the reviews come in.
Ah well that sounds neat. We will just have to see

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, that just means more empty space
The cartoon style means lower poly count and lower resolution textures, it makes the game both smaller and easier to render on the crap hardware that the switch will ship with.

EDIT: Also easier to produce. 3D rendering can take a really long time with high poly counts but choosing a cartoon style like breath of the wild can more than half the time.

Last edited by AlexanderLS,

DHall243

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cartoon style means lower poly count and lower resolution textures, it makes the game both smaller and easier to render on the crap hardware that the switch will ship with.
Exactly the game is only 13GBs compared to skyrim on XB1 at 22gb

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's within range of 1TFlop, good enough for most XB1 ports. Final touches haven't even been put on Switch version yet. Considering the additional use cases and technology that has gone into Switch, I find it a much better value than the base revision PS4/XB1 at this point. Pro/Scorpio have to worry about competing for value against PC, and they lose that battle.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Both of those are nothing compared to the 50GiB+ that PC users have been getting lately.
That's completely uncompressed, though, and PS4/XB1 are never going to use all those uncompressed textures, so it's easy to cut down for consoles.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's within range of 1TFlop, good enough for most XB1 ports. Final touches haven't even been put on Switch version yet. Considering the additional use cases and technology that has gone into Switch, I find it a much better value than the base revision PS4/XB1 at this point. Pro/Scorpio have to worry about competing for value against PC, and they lose that battle.
I'm a PC gamer primarily, but with the 3ds they had a gimmick that drew my attention.
The ability to have glasses less 3d is amazing.
With the switch it has nothing worthwhile from my perspective.
I may consider it a few years from now if the homebrew/piracy scene really develop. It might have 3-5 games that I'd want to play and then it's just worthless to me.
Zelda, and Mario are the only exclusives I'm even a little interested in but I'm nearly 30 years old, I can wait.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm a PC gamer primarily, but with the 3ds they had a gimmick that drew my attention.
The ability to have glasses less 3d is amazing.
With the switch it has nothing worthwhile from my perspective.
It's an Nvidia-created hybrid console with Nintendo games and a better outlook for third-party support. It utilizes multiple APIs, and it's a vastly superior portable compared to 3DS graphically. Wouldn't you like to play a much better-looking Pokemon with FPS in the double digits? I sure would.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an Nvidia-created hybrid console with Nintendo games and a better outlook for third-party support. It utilizes multiple APIs, and it's a vastly superior portable compared to 3DS graphically. Wouldn't you like to play a much better-looking Pokemon with FPS in the double digits? I sure would.
Not really, I liked Pokemon when I was younger, I just don't like it that much anymore.
Starcraft, pokemon, and mmorpgs all things I liked as a kid that I find boring now.

Being a person who strongly despises walled garden platforms, I've very little interest in supporting them. I'd never buy an apple product for this reason.

DHall243

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of those are nothing compared to the 50GiB+ that PC users have been getting lately.
I know, Im a PC user lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not really, I liked Pokemon when I was younger, I just don't like it that much anymore.
Starcraft, pokemon, and mmorpgs all things I liked as a kid that I find boring now.

Sun and moon was horrible, play ORAS or XY

Reactions: Dav_Dabz and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To each their own. Ofc this also means a great-looking Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash/etc. As well as Bethesda games and a better development environment for third-party devs.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is doing there best to take steps backwards.
Paid online is a huge step back.
Walled garden systems will eventually be no more than a note in history.
I see a future where corporate greed has been snuffed out by open source community.

To each their own. Ofc this also means a great-looking Zelda/Mario/Metroid/Smash/etc. As well as Bethesda games and a better development environment for third-party devs.
Zelda and Mario being the only IPs I've any interest in from Nintendo.
Those two IPs don't merit the cost of this overpriced/locked down/walled garden tablet.
Then there is the incredibly weak launch window game lineup.
Many of which are not even good games.
You buy a console to play the games, Nintendo is not putting out enough launch window games for any sane person to buy there pos tablet.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is doing there best to take steps backwards.
Paid online is a huge step back.
Walled garden systems will eventually be no more than a note in history.
I see a future where corporate greed has been snuffed out by open source community.
Jesus man you aren't bringing down the Illuminati by refusing to pay for games that you enjoy playing. I'm not opposed to piracy on occasion myself, but let's take it down a notch. If you don't enjoy playing those games, just don't buy the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know. Nice to see new members here, aside from the ongoing spam problem.