Poll: Your thoughts on the Switch

359211-switch-thoughts.png

As the day of the Nintendo Switch conference and hands-on impressions draws to a close and the beans have been thoroughly spilled, we want to ask you - what do you think?

What are your impressions on the overall unveiling of the Switch given the pricing, games and hardware capabilities? Will you be Switching? Perhaps you've already pre-ordered one.

Vote in the poll and let us know! And be sure to share your comments in the thread below.

:switch:

D

Deleted User

The NES game for one month is a joke.
Also, the paid online is for multiplayer, so it is optional, and if you play online paying it may not be a problem depending on how much it costs.
If it is something like $20 per year, I don't see a problem.
But considering the awesome pricing Nintendo has been showing those last days, I would expect a yearly subscription of $200 or so.
(as I seldom play online multiplayer I kind of don't give a fuck)

$20 per year sounds too cheap, even. Cheap enough for the majority of people to buy it... Therefore Nintendo has enough money to maintain servers, and each household isn't worried about online play.

Knowing Nintendo, I feel like it's going to be around $100 per year. :y I don't use online multiplayer a lot, either, which is why I'm not keen on paying a lofty price for minimal usage. But it might also be too difficult to set up a system where it monitors you based on play time and charges you accordingly. Ehh.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
I'd love to be proven wrong.
But realistically.. I fear I'm right.

Well, Nintendo only cares about sales figures.
With the amount of Wii's sitting at peoples houses here, I could get a Wii + controllers for maybe 20 quid.

I.. pretty much only have skinny jeans, already have trouble keeping me phone in it, and I believe that's a lot sturdier then a Switch.

I deffo want a Switch, even if it's only for 1 game, Seasons of Heaven.

hehe see you are getting it <3

The NES game for one month is a joke.
Also, the paid online is for multiplayer, so it is optional, and if you play online paying it may not be a problem depending on how much it costs.
If it is something like $20 per year, I don't see a problem.
But considering the awesome pricing Nintendo has been showing those last days, I would expect a yearly subscription of $200 or so.
(as I seldom play online multiplayer I kind of don't give a fuck)

naaa come on, 200$ for a year for online services ?

sure they have priced their joycons ridiculously, but i doubt that they would demand that much for a year of online service..

i think it could be around 40-70$ the year.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression that people want the Switch to fail :rolleyes:
No it just has a very weak approach to it and the launch pretty much confirms it. Don't get me wrong I'm getting it still, since I am a multiplat gamer
Breath of Wild should keep everyone occupied till the holidays. Would like to see speedruns of the game aswell

Last edited by MasterJ360,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

As I understand it joycons have non replaceable batteries. Anybody know anything about the console battery?
The batteries are indeed non-replaceable, the thing about how it works, is that it gets recharged when it's docked and it has three dots so you know when it's ending.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it just has a very weak approach to it and the launch pretty much confirms it.
I honestly don't get this logic. It doesn't have a very good DAY ONE launch lineup, but the launch window titles are pretty impressive (for instance, Zelda and mainline Mario game in the first year of a console's release?? When has that EVER happened?!). It gets even more ridiculous when you compare it to the launches of the PS4 and XB1 (PS4 launch was populated by shovelware/cheap titles/semi-yearly rehashes with a few actually good games, XB1 was... well... Microsoft style games, so you know how those go), yet no one complains about them

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The batteries are indeed non-replaceable, the thing about how it works, is that it gets recharged when it's docked and it has three dots so you know when it's ending.
I don't like that. Going by my experience with other non replaceable batteries such as an iPhone (not easily) then after 3-4 years this thing is not really portable anymore. I really don't like that.

So the battery goes out after the 1 year warranty and we are just SOL? Cough up another $299? That really stinks.

Last edited by thorasgar,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

One thing a Nintendo Switch employee said at the event was that the Pro Controller can be used on motion sensor games so it's not exclusive to Joy-Cons only.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't like that. Going by my experience with other non replaceable batteries such as an iPhone (not easily) then after 3-4 years this thing is not really portable anymore. I really don't like that.
I don't know.
My experiences with some other portables from Nintendo, which batteries I've never changed is that my DS Lite still works perfectly after 10 years of use.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know.
My experiences with some other portables from Nintendo, which batteries I've never changed is that my DS Lite still works perfectly after 10 years of use.
I have a hard time believing the battery in a 10 year old DS is at 100% health. But my kid's didn't last that long due to being kids.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a hard time believing the battery in a 10 year old DS is at 100% health. But my kid's didn't last that long due to being kids.
It helps a ton if you charge it to 100% before turning it on for the first time. Like literally make sure it stays off and plug it in overnight until it doesn't charge anymore

Reactions: thorasgar

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not 100% health that's for sure.
Nowadays they last not much more than 10 hours.
When it was new it was more between 14-19 hours.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

clownz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Nintendo and I want them to be around forever but sometimes I ask myself why did Nintendo do that? I think $299.99 USD is a little bit steep for what they are offering on launch. I am not a fan of the battery life. I'm guessing maybe 3 hours playtime before it dies and the rest is just standby time. The controllers seem kind of small. I mean I would love to play games like Skyrim on the go but it has to be comfortable to hold for long periods. I will give them props for trying to be innovative but I see it as Wii U ver 2 after the launch hype.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi