Hardware Nintendo says the WiiU Pad isn't comfortable for NES Mario Bros.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
[quote="[url="http://gbatemp.net/user/157500-discostewsm/"%5DDiscostewSM%5B/url%5D"]Wouldn't it be something if what they meant by not playing Mario Bros very well on the Gamepad was that the Gamepad itself was attempting to process everything without the console?

And like I said, I'm talking about WII Virtual Console games running in WII Mode on the Wii U, not WII U Virtual Console. Do you know what the Wii U uses for VC games released for the Wii U? You sure don't, I sure don't, so STOP PRETENDING.

PS: I like how you start calling me fanboy and say my opinions are on "brand loyalty". Certainly you're above a comment about how even Sony doesn't recode every damn game to do this certain thing!
[/quote]

I am just going to assume you were replying to someone else, because your responses don't seem to fit with my comment. Must be because of the post merge.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Uh, wow, an entire argument based on a shoddy news article because no one seems to have bothered reading the original Iwata Asks.

Really?

Midna is understandably mad.

They don't even mention VC compatibility anywhere at all, just that when they tried to play the NES version of Mario Bros. they found it was difficult, thus the redesign.
If ANYTHING this shows that they can in fact play VC games on the WiiU pad and the possibility exists for it in the future.
Heck, fundamentally thinking that VC titles won't be possible on the pad is kind of silly. They'd just be streaming the game from the WiiU like any other game.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Uh, wow, an entire argument based on a shoddy news article because no one seems to have bothered reading the original Iwata Asks.

Really?

Midna is understandably mad.

They don't even mention VC compatibility anywhere at all, just that when they tried to play the NES version of Mario Bros. they found it was difficult, thus the redesign.
If ANYTHING this shows that they can in fact play VC games on the WiiU pad and the possibility exists for it in the future.
Heck, fundamentally thinking that VC titles won't be possible on the pad is kind of silly. They'd just be streaming the game from the WiiU like any other game.

But, is it a Wii VC game, or a WiiU VC game? It would be nice if it was the former, which then also brings up one other thing (slightly offtopic), and that is if those VC games are emulated upon the Wii design yet are using the GamePad screen + input, wouldn't that mean that Wii games in general could be played on it too?

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
But, is it a Wii VC game, or a WiiU VC game? It would be nice if it was the former, which then also brings up one other thing (slightly offtopic), and that is if those VC games are emulated upon the Wii design yet are using the GamePad screen + input, wouldn't that mean that Wii games in general could be played on it too?

I'm pretty sure that the Iwata Asks segment doesn't shed light on anything having to do with playing Virtual Console titles on the gamepad screen. :'D In fact, if I remember correctly, the article doesn't say whether or not their Super Mario Bros. test was running on the gamepad screen, just that the game was being controlled by the gamepad. They very well could have been playing it on a TV, but controlling it with the gamepad. Regardless, that wasn't the point of their test.

Essentially, the test was to discern "hmm, how does the gamepad control games?", not "hmm, should we make VC games on the gamepad screen, or the TV?"

Also, I don't think it'd be feasible to play full-fledged Wii games on the Wii U gamepad, considering the control differences. :O Imagine playing the original Wii version of Wii Sports on the thing! :P

(Unless you meant playing Wii games with a Wiimote, and using the gamepad as a screen. If that's the case, it'd be silly!)

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm pretty sure that the Iwata Asks segment doesn't shed light on anything having to do with playing Virtual Console titles on the gamepad screen. :'D In fact, if I remember correctly, the article doesn't say whether or not their Super Mario Bros. test was running on the gamepad screen, just that the game was being controlled by the gamepad. They very well could have been playing it on a TV, but controlling it with the gamepad. Regardless, that wasn't the point of their test.

Essentially, the test was to discern "hmm, how does the gamepad control games?", not "hmm, should we make VC games on the gamepad screen, or the TV?"

Also, I don't think it'd be feasible to play full-fledged Wii games on the Wii U gamepad, considering the control differences. :O Imagine playing the original Wii version of Wii Sports on the thing! :P

(Unless you meant playing Wii games with a Wiimote, and using the gamepad as a screen. If that's the case, it'd be silly!)

It would be silly, but the WiiU gamepad does have a built in sensor bar.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everybody on this website so gung ho about closing threads? If you don't want to talk about something, don't talk about it. If no one wants to talk about something, then no one is going to talk about it and the thread will die on its own.

Reactions: 1 person

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It isn't the end of the world that they won't have VC on the gamepad. Some classics don't really need the new controller anyways. It be nice to have it as a controller, but it isn't the end of the world. After all, the originals didn't have a gamepad.

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Well, they should have abandonded the idiotic Wii U gamepad in the first place. What's wrong with a simple controller like the ones we've been playing for years? The motion control and touchscreens etc. is ok, but it's nothing more than a novelty. Just stick on something that works!

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada

This is a false Statement/Announcement.

if you read the actual article:

Ibuki​
Yes. But after last year's E3, we heard it was difficult to use. "We played the NES version of Mario Bros. game on the Wii U GamePad and realized we couldn't do it very well."

Iwata​
I remember that with the design of the GamePad at the time, a good amount of people said it was tiring and difficult to play.

Thus the grips were added, face buttons visibly moved, pads became clickable sticks, among all the other changes with the 2012 Gamepad- which they were not discussing at the time

havent read through all the comments yet to see if this was already corrected
Thankyou

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everybody on this website so gung ho about closing threads? If you don't want to talk about something, don't talk about it. If no one wants to talk about something, then no one is going to talk about it and the thread will die on its own.
The problem is some posts actually give some relevant information which can be lost in the topic while others are just arguments between a group of people. I guess asking for a short summary on the comments would be to much to ask though.

Reactions: Rasas

matt1tude

Trophies
XP
Country
oh well i say. If they cant be bothered to do what everyone wants then wait til the talented soft-modders out there get their hands dirty to make it work. Nintendos loss, that it'll force people to turn to soft-modding to get what Nintendo doesnt want to do.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Exactly.
If the Wii U gamepad has a sensor bar and its meant to play Wii games with a Wii remote on the portable screen, then obviously the Wii U is able to stream anything on the screen regardless if it is Wii U mode or Wii mode.
And if we can play Wii games on the gamepad screen obviously in Wii mode, then why shouldn't we be able to play VC games on it ?
I think there is something else going on here.

DanielJavierGuzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP

Exactly.
If the Wii U gamepad has a sensor bar and its meant to play Wii games with a Wii remote on the portable screen, then obviously the Wii U is able to stream anything on the screen regardless if it is Wii U mode or Wii mode.
And if we can play Wii games on the gamepad screen obviously in Wii mode, then why shouldn't we be able to play VC games on it ?
I think there is something else going on here.
Not necessarily, that sensor bar could be only for using wiimote's pointer in WiiU games.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily, that sensor bar could be only for using wiimote's pointer in WiiU games.

The sensor bar is nothing more than 2 powered Infrared LEDs that have no data connection to the console whatsoever. Unless the Gamepad is designed to turn the sensor bar off in certain cases (unlike the Wii, which was always on when the console was on), anything that has an IR camera on it, like the Wiimotes, can use it.

D

Deleted_171835

How the fuck did this thread reach 4 pages? Did anyone bother reading the actual Iwata Asks and understanding the context behind the quote?

They're talking about how it was difficult to play Mario Bros. on the old controller prototype (E3 2011 one) which lead to the them re-designing the controller resulting in the one we have now. Not any of this bullshit about it not being comfortable for Virtual Console.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this topic is going to continue to exist it should say "Wii U Game Pad was redesigned during development due to being difficult to use as a traditional controller".

In fact nobody should post news if they aren't willing to read the source material.

Reactions: 1 person

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

The sensor bar is nothing more than 2 powered Infrared LEDs that have no data connection to the console whatsoever. Unless the Gamepad is designed to turn the sensor bar off in certain cases (unlike the Wii, which was always on when the console was on), anything that has an IR camera on it, like the Wiimotes, can use it.
Wait a minute.
Isn't the Wii U fullz backwards compatible with Wii retail discs ? And isn't there an image somewhere with a Wii game played on the gamepad with a Wii remote ?
I don't care about any of the bulls that have popped out in this tread, the only thing that catches my attention here is the theory that when the Wii U is in Wii mode ( like it will be to play VC games ) then any newer hardware will be disabled, preventing VC games to be played on the gamepad.
If that would be the only reason, then it shouldn't be possible to play Wii games on the pad either.
On the other hand, if it's really possible to play Wii games on the second screen ( and it has a sensor bar ) , then what would prevent VC games to be played on it ?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

Wait a minute.
Isn't the Wii U fullz backwards compatible with Wii retail discs ? And isn't there an image somewhere with a Wii game played on the gamepad with a Wii remote ?
I don't care about any of the bulls that have popped out in this tread, the only thing that catches my attention here is the theory that when the Wii U is in Wii mode ( like it will be to play VC games ) then any newer hardware will be disabled, preventing VC games to be played on the gamepad.
If that would be the only reason, then it shouldn't be possible to play Wii games on the pad either.
On the other hand, if it's really possible to play Wii games on the second screen ( and it has a sensor bar ) , then what would prevent VC games to be played on it ?

When I think they say it can't use newer hardware for Wii games, I assume they mean it can't do things like render at 1080p (vs upscaling), or use the touch-screen portion of the Gamepad, because the original games have no idea those exist. Displaying the game on the Gamepad, on the other hand, wouldn't require Wii mode to do anything differently. The OS simply redirects the video/audio output to the Gamepad instead of the TV. The 3DS does this sort of redirection with DS games, where instead of sending the rendered image directly to the screen, it sends it to a buffer and does some post-process scale filtering. The fact that the Home button on the 3DS can be used when in "DS mode" is enough to suggest that some things can be done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...