TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
None of this applies because the Wii U is a dieing breed. Nintendo NEEDS 3rd party support so they will stfu and do as they're told or Wii U and the 3DS gets weaker (albeit it wont be really noticable) gets a funeral.
What on earth does this have to do with the Wii U? The Wii U and 3DS are completely different animals... The Wii U is floundering, while the 3DS is kicking ass. There's just no comparison.

No, developers aren't going to threaten to ignore Wii U even MORE than they already are just because Nintendo makes a trifle requirement for their wildly popular, money-printing handheld. Seriously, did you think for even a SECOND before posting that?:rolleyes:

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure Nintendo could make it a requirement. It wouldn't be as simple as "fuck you, we're doing it anyway" on the developers' end. How could it? It's Nintendo's console: The devs follow their rules, or they don't make a game for it. Plain and simple. And I guarantee you a developer isn't going to walk away from the current best-selling handheld based on such a trifle requirement. Even if Nintendo didn't make it a requirement, it wouldn't be in the developers' best interests to make a game only compatible with a smaller fraction of 3DSes.

In the end, I don't think Nintendo needs to bother with a second analog model this far into the system's lifespan, nice as it would be. But saying that creating a revision with a second analog would actually hurt the install base, when the only conceivable issue is easily dealt with, is a bit silly in my opinion.

But that's what I'm saying, Nintendo could make it a requirement that developers have to work with 2 analogs. But with so many 3ds' out now and it being pointless and splitting up the install base, developers might not want to take the chance. At the end of the day, Nintendo has to keep the developers happy. If not, there's nothing stopping developers from abandoning the 3DS because Nintendo is being Nazi's.

For example, those developers could abandon the 3DS and go to the Vita where the install base isn't split up, everybody has the same console.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
But that's what I'm saying, Nintendo could make it a requirement that developers have to work with 2 analogs. But with so many 3ds' out now and it being pointless and splitting up the install base, developers might not want to take the chance. At the end of the day, Nintendo has to keep the developers happy. If not, there's nothing stopping developers from abandoning the 3DS because Nintendo is being Nazi's.

For example, those developers could abandon the 3DS and go to the Vita where the install base isn't split up, everybody has the same console.
I think you missed what I was saying... I was saying Nintendo could make it a requirement for devs to include single-analog options, not a requirement to have dual analog support.

And please... do you honestly think that even a divided 3DS install base is going to be worth flocking to the Vita for? The 3DS install base could be divided multiple ways and any one of those install bases would probably still be larger than the Vita install base.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just need to add that I also thought it was a well-elaborated joke when I saw this on Youtube....... until I saw it was on fucking Nintendo channel.

The 3DS needs a revision, Nintendo... BUT THIS IS NOT IT! We need the standard 3DS with a battery that doesn't suck and screens that don't scratch themselves, and no, I don't need it absurdly big like the XL, just the standard size. TOO HARD? REALLY?

Reactions: WhiteMaze

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine pointed out this is aimed for little children.
It's harder than the 3DS to break and Nintendo doesn't recommend little children use the 3D.
If only the promo video mentioned that.

Still looks uncomfortable to hold.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get this.

Usually, a revised edition of a console or handheld has at least something upgraded about it along with the same (or better) price.

Seriously, what is this trend of revised ones being worse? Really makes waiting for a price cut seem like you're getting back-handed with a shoddy product.

Bowser-jr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Huh...interesting. I personally would have had them just keep the original design, and take out the 3D in this case. But I do agree that it's is aim towards younger kids. The little ones tend to break the top screen of the current 3DS easily (I have a little sister, know from experience). Also, 3D is not always good for the eyes, most just keep it all the way off if the 3D is a negative to the player. I do not agree with the design they went, but just making it a 2D only handheld is okay. I mean, it's cheaper but that's the only thing I can really say that is good about this new revision of the 3DS handheld.

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, the design only looks weird to me because of the lack of a hinge and the shape of the cake slice I ate last Wednesday. (srsly gaiz)
Remember guys, It comes out on X/Ys release date, so parents might buy it for their young kids anyway. I side with the "This shit is stupid" folks here though. (its fugly)

Success:
1. Comes out the day of a popular game
2. Cheaper, as you aren't buying a feature you won't use
3. Thick and sturdy
4. Nintendo makes a specific product lacking 3D, making it clearer [to a specific audience] that no 3D/OMGWTFBLIND!!!1 is there to ruin your kid

Failure:
1. KIDS GROW, and eyes develop (8 yrs old to be safe) the 2DS will eventually be thrown into the corner for the shiny new 3DS or later the XL or (ex.) 4DS
2. Pokemon or video games could just be another kid's phase (ya better hope not)
3. Parental controls aren't advertised enough, or parent's are not well informed (read: stupid)
4. 3D was also the whole gimmick

Opinion (<-- READ IT: OPINION)

If you have a 3DS, gtf away from it. If you don't, check a 3DS out (OWW MY EYES = 2DS). It's still, to an extent, portable (huge ass bag), so go ahead and buy it if you're willing to drop $120+ for your son/daughter. Honestly, 2-6 year olds really shouldn't be gaming yet (7 plz). They have better things to do, like learning to count, or write, or steal cookies from the cookie jar on the counter.

Buy if you want, and they'll probably sell okay.

/realtalk

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting the 2ds, probably on launch day.

It will be my second 3ds. I have a 3dsxl. I am always worried about my kids breaking it.

I also think it is a good name. It would be worse to name it 3ds whatever because it doesn't do 3d. that would be like calling a game super mario 3d world and having it not be playable in 3d.... Wait the might actually do that second one.

henn64

I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am getting the 2ds, probably on launch day.

It will be my second 3ds. I have a 3dsxl. I am always worried about my kids breaking it.

I also think it is a good name. It would be worse to name it 3ds whatever because it doesn't do 3d. that would be like calling a game super mario 3d world and having it not be playable in 3d.... Wait the might actually do that second one.

*too late*
Hey guys! Wanna play some Metal Gear Solid 3D on my 2DS?
*Wtf moment* in 2D?
Umm...Super Mario 3D Land?
What the heck dude?

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about the wii u game. It is likely not going to support 3d.

Heck ps4 and Xbox one games may not support 3d. 3d is sort of dying outside of the cinemas.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A friend of mine pointed out this is aimed for little children.
It's harder than the 3DS to break and Nintendo doesn't recommend little children use the 3D.
If only the promo video mentioned that.

Still looks uncomfortable to hold.
That's the same thing most people said about the WiiU pad though (and tbh it did look odd) but from what I've heard it's actually pretty comfortable. And this looks more or less the same, only with the triggers in a slightly different place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5