Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Isn't it the intentional decision of the people who are behind both of those cards? Exactly the same may & will happen to Stargate if it's sales flops, the next Nintendo's firmware or title may introduce some checks which can be solved only by a firmware update. As both of GW & SG are close-sourced projects, their owners are highly dependent on a device's support lifetime.

It's quite overpriced for a card which doesn't support what is already in GW & open-sourced community's CFWs. For those who want to play 3DS only titles & not bother with translations / eshop, the Sky3DS is better. For those, who are interested in a such stuff, CFWs or GW are a better choice. And both of these are way cheaper especially if you consider flea markets.
Stargate/Sky3DS emulate cartridges so no firmware update can block them. At most Nintendo could introduce new AP for new games but how many new games are there even going to be? Even then, Stargate/newer Sky3DS versions can be updated, so the team would just have to solve the new AP, release new firmware for the carts and then the new AP will be bypassed. Even if they never solve the new AP, all previous games will be playable and people could just buy any new released games.
Sky3DS plus a ntrboot DS flashcart is definitely better than Stargate, but Stargate would still be better than Gateway

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: console

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
so the team would just have to solve the new AP, release new firmware for the carts and then the new AP will be bypassed. Even if they never solve the new AP, all previous games will be playable and people could just buy any new released games.
Isn't it exactly the case of GW? The team just hasn't released update. And as it's closed-sourced, you can't do nothing with it.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Isn't it exactly the case of GW? The team just hasn't released update. And as it's closed-sourced, you can't do nothing with it.
No, because a new firmware update breaks Gateway every time. The team still has not solved 11.3+. Whereas, new firmware updates have zero impact on Sky3DS/Stargate.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
No, because a new firmware update breaks Gateway every time. The team still has not solved 11.3+. Whereas, new firmware updates have zero impact on Sky3DS/Stargate.
It's just details, you can run emuNAND, but what I'm talking about is the dependence on updates, just an example is the latest Pokémon which isn't playable on SG right now. And the only thing you can do is just (Stargate)wait for a new firmware. If there'll be no update for a card this game will newer be playable. And as this card's developer is the same who is behind Gateway, so I've zero confidence in it's support during the 3DS's lifetime.

Last edited by oji,

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
quantum was referring to system firmware with gateway . . . not rom support
My mistake, thanks for clarification. It's surely the case, but I've already pointed root reasons of this - the closed-source nature & the lost of interest by the card's developer. It's a bad business choice & I've no trust in this developer at all, their inferior product Stargate may share exactly the same destiny to being abandoned with a soon(tm) promises.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
My mistake, thanks for clarification. It's surely the case, but I've already pointed root reasons of this - the closed-source nature & the lost of interest by the card's developer. It's a bad business choice & I've no trust in this developer at all, their inferior product Stargate may share exactly the same destiny to being abandoned with a soon(tm) promises.
You don't understand my point though. The way Stargate and Sky3DS work, they are not dependent on system firmware, while Gateway is. Stargate and Sky3DS will never just stop working on a new firmware.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You don't understand my point though. The way Stargate and Sky3DS work, they are not dependent on system firmware, while Gateway is. Stargate and Sky3DS will never just stop working on a new firmware.
I do understand this but my point is that this cart is from the same developer who abandoned Gateway & it's support is under their decisions only, which means you have a big chances to lost compatibility in a future, and it's also too pricey for what it's offers. Also its possible to lock a cart by blacklisting it, but Nintendo won't do as it'll harm original game's owners.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I do understand this but my point is that this cart is from the same developer who abandoned Gateway & it's support is under their decisions only, which means you have a big chances to lost compatibility in a future, and it's also too pricey for what it's offers. Also its possible to lock a cart by blacklisting it, but Nintendo won't do as it'll harm original game's owners.
Doesn't matter who the developer is, the way it works is the way it works. Worst case scenario is that some future game as yet unreleased might not work

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't think that GW is completely abandoned yet. They always had delays etc. but they always delivered something in the end. And they have supplied many, many updates.

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Doesn't matter who the developer is, the way it works is the way it works. Worst case scenario is that some future game as yet unreleased might not work
For me it does matter, let's just imagine that Nintendo has announced BotW for Wii U & later decided to put it on Switch, but in our imaginary case they've decided now to release the game only for Switch and tell their Wii U customers to wait until... soon(tm). I think this would influence on a company's business in a disaster way, and I have exactly the same feeling on GW/SG case. It's just me, you may and do have different thoughts, but me personally wouldn't buy or recommend to anyone anything manufactured by those people.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my Stargate 3DS, it actually isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, don't get me wrong there are some issues (that is to be expected of course) in terms of how the kernel works, but that is going to be fixed here shortly. Not all 3DS games works yet but that too is getting fixed. All the DS games work perfectly, even the most problematic ones that other flashcarts have a hard time running. The plastic quality of the flashcart is actually really good, even for the buttons at the top. Overall the flashcart does its job well, no issues at all. So see JUDGING before you actually even try something gets you nowhere.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I just got my Stargate 3DS, it actually isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, don't get me wrong there are some issues (that is to be expected of course) in terms of how the kernel works, but that is going to be fixed here shortly. Not all 3DS games works yet but that too is getting fixed. All the DS games work perfectly, even the most problematic ones that other flashcarts have a hard time running. The plastic quality of the flashcart is actually really good, even for the buttons at the top. Overall the flashcart does its job well, no issues at all. So see JUDGING before you actually even try something gets you nowhere.
Is it anything other than a Sky3DS and DS flashcart in the same shell? If not then the judging was correct, and turns out it is worse than how we were judging (some games not even working).

Reactions: aos10 and wormdood

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it anything other than a Sky3DS and DS flashcart in the same shell? If not then the judging was correct, and turns out it is worse than how we were judging (some games not even working).
See you are only seeing what YOU want to see, you either didn't read carefully or you are just stubborn, most people are so it isn't new. I clearly stated the team is working on fixing that, the only reason we don't already have it is because of the review unit. The unit was just to see if it worked with 3DS games period, now that the retail unit is rolling out NOW they can release a much better firmware, kernel, and flashcart to the public. They needed feedback not only for the firmware and kernel but for the flashcart itself, hence why review units were sent out in the first place. You also set your standards way too high, go set those standards on a flashcart YOU make, until then don't try to downgrade something because you hardly know its functions (let alone own the cart) or because it isn't CFW or up to those standards. That's like me saying custom firmware sucks without me even owning a system with it, funny and stupid thing is if I was to mean that then most people would cut me down. Yet in the same breathe they would shame something else such as a flashcart before they try it themselves, and some of these people would even shame others for actually buying one. So basically the way this seems to work is others apparently have the right to judge, even though they don't own the product they are judging, let alone own other products that did the same thing but less (which means your judgement or "review" is inaccurate anyways because you are comparing it to something that uses different exploits, hardware, etc). Little tip IN LIFE, don't judge a book by its cover, you may dodge a few bullets doing so but you will also miss out on a lot. If judging people is also your thing then you definitely will miss out on many things.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
See you are only seeing what YOU want to see, you either didn't read carefully or you are just stubborn, most people are so it isn't new. I clearly stated the team is working on fixing that, the only reason we don't already have it is because of the review unit. The unit was just to see if it worked with 3DS games period, now that the retail unit is rolling out NOW they can release a much better firmware, kernel, and flashcart to the public. They needed feedback not only for the firmware and kernel but for the flashcart itself, hence why review units were sent out in the first place. You also set your standards way too high, go set those standards on a flashcart YOU make, until then don't try to downgrade something because you hardly know its functions (let alone own the cart) or because it isn't CFW or up to those standards. That's like me saying custom firmware sucks without me even owning a system with it, funny and stupid thing is if I was to mean that then most people would cut me down. Yet in the same breathe they would shame something else such as a flashcart before they try it themselves, and some of these people would even shame others for actually buying one. So basically the way this seems to work is others apparently have the right to judge, even though they don't own the product they are judging, let alone own other products that did the same thing but less (which means your judgement or "review" is inaccurate anyways because you are comparing it to something that uses different exploits, hardware, etc). Little tip IN LIFE, don't judge a book by its cover, you may dodge a few bullets doing so but you will also miss out on a lot. If judging people is also your thing then you definitely will miss out on many things.
So, what can it do besides be a Sky3DS and DS flashcart in one? You're saying I'm judging too quick but you haven't provided any material to set hope in.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, what can it do besides be a Sky3DS and DS flashcart in one? You're saying I'm judging too quick but you haven't provided any material to set hope in.
It can play emulators as well and use other various homebrew applications, kinda like the SuperCard DSTWO/+ did but it's better, what more do you want?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It can play emulators as well and use other various homebrew applications, kinda like the SuperCard DSTWO/+ did but it's better, what more do you want?
You're just repeating the fact that it can do what a flashcart can. I didn't know it had a processor like the DSTwo though, that's nice. A 3DS flashcart and DSTwo in one is pretty good - one of the benefits of CFW over Sky3DS is the ability to play VC injects, so that's one less thing extra CFW can do over this (unless you just mean you can use the Sky3DS part to run homebrew and emulators, then it's nothing special as you could do that with a plain Sky3DS)

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY...