Hacking News: New Stargate 3DS flashcart

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can play emulators as well and use other various homebrew applications, kinda like the SuperCard DSTWO/+ did but it's better, what more do you want?
they tell you these features are comming . . . but just like scds2+ and sky they will be nothing new
so the ds side has access to dsmode emulators/homebrew . . . thats no big deal . . . or the 3ds side will have cubic ninja + ninjhax . . . also not special

until they (stargate) actually do something special dont treat them special . . .
all they did was combine the market . . . one sky + one r4 add in a dash of ace3dsx (for switching between ds and 3ds modes) and stargate is born
sounds like the only special thing they did was rip off 3 flashcards at the same time

D

Deleted-394630

If this is above $30 USD I feel that it's not worth it, especially if it's a Gateway clone

Oh wait, are we not using that word?
bna6tQF.png

Oh shit

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this is above $30 USD I feel that it's not worth it, especially if it's a Gateway clone

Oh wait, are we not using that word?
bna6tQF.png

Oh shit
You realize just searching the OP will show you links to pricing. This hunk of shit is 127 CAD. Its a complete fucking rip off to anyone who is stupid enough to buy one.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You realize just searching the OP will show you links to pricing. This hunk of shit is 127 CAD. Its a complete fucking rip off to anyone who is stupid enough to buy one.
Here in the US it is only $80-$100, some places it's $120. But the Gateway cart is around $75-$80. Price range isn't too drastic unless you want to compare the minimum $75 (Gateway) to the highest price $120 (Stargate) which you can't really do, you can't compare the minimum to the highest like that. Comparing both minimum prices for both the Stargate and Gateway, the Stargate is just $5 to $7 more than the Gateway. In terms of highest prices yes the Gateway beats the Stargate by a long shot obviously $85 (Gateway) would be a better deal than $120 (Stargate 3DS). It just depends on where you buy the flashcarts.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Here in the US it is only $80-$100, some places it's $120. But the Gateway cart is around $75-$80. Price range isn't too drastic unless you want to compare the minimum $75 (Gateway) to the highest price $120 (Stargate) which you can't really do, you can't compare the minimum to the highest like that. Comparing both minimum prices for both the Stargate and Gateway, the Stargate is just $5 to $7 more than the Gateway. In terms of highest prices yes the Gateway beats the Stargate by a long shot obviously $85 (Gateway) would be a better deal than $120 (Stargate 3DS). It just depends on where you buy the flashcarts.
If I had to choose between a Stargate and a Gateway for $7 less I'd choose the Stargate every day. Gateway you still have to worry about CFW stuff but there's extra troubles and restrictions. At least you can just stick the Stargate in and use it.

Also $127CAD=$98.25USD

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe people are afraid they'll brick their console. That fear will always be there.
I still haven't heard of a single person bricking their console with 3ds.guide since it was updated to use B9S/SafeB9SInstaller. It takes way more than not being able to follow instructions to brick yourself these days.

I just got my Stargate 3DS, it actually isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be, don't get me wrong there are some issues (that is to be expected of course) in terms of how the kernel works, but that is going to be fixed here shortly. Not all 3DS games works yet but that too is getting fixed. All the DS games work perfectly, even the most problematic ones that other flashcarts have a hard time running. The plastic quality of the flashcart is actually really good, even for the buttons at the top. Overall the flashcart does its job well, no issues at all. So see JUDGING before you actually even try something gets you nowhere.
At its cheapest, it's still $70 too much for a DS cart considering the Sky3DS functionality isn't hugely useful. AFAIK most "judgements" of this thing is exactly correct: that there's no reason to spend that kind of money when it doesn't bring that much value to the table.

You're just repeating the fact that it can do what a flashcart can. I didn't know it had a processor like the DSTwo though, that's nice. A 3DS flashcart and DSTwo in one is pretty good - one of the benefits of CFW over Sky3DS is the ability to play VC injects, so that's one less thing extra CFW can do over this (unless you just mean you can use the Sky3DS part to run homebrew and emulators, then it's nothing special as you could do that with a plain Sky3DS)
Is there actually any credible evidence for that? Quite frankly, the extra processor for the DSTWO is a liability in the age of easy 3DS CFWs, given that it indiscriminately sucks all your battery all the time.

Reactions: senkunmusashi

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still haven't heard of a single person bricking their console with 3ds.guide since it was updated to use B9S/SafeB9SInstaller. It takes way more than not being able to follow instructions to brick yourself these days.

At its cheapest, it's still $70 too much for a DS cart considering the Sky3DS functionality isn't hugely useful. AFAIK most "judgements" of this thing is exactly correct: that there's no reason to spend that kind of money when it doesn't bring that much value to the table.

Is there actually any credible evidence for that? Quite frankly, the extra processor for the DSTWO is a liability in the age of easy 3DS CFWs, given that it indiscriminately sucks all your battery all the time.
The Stargate 3DS has a low power SoC. SoC stands for System on Chip, which contains not only a CPU (Core Processing Unit), but a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), memory, USB controller, power management circuits, and wireless radios (WiFi, 3G, 4G LTE, and so on). Basically all of this is on one silicon chip. So basically with all this in mind, yes the Stargate has just as much potential as the SuperCard DSTWO Plus if not better.

Reactions: THYPLEX

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The Stargate 3DS has a low power SoC. SoC stands for System on Chip, which contains not only a CPU (Core Processing Unit), but a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), memory, USB controller, power management circuits, and wireless radios (WiFi, 3G, 4G LTE, and so on). Basically all of this is on one silicon chip. So basically with all this in mind, yes the Stargate has just as much potential as the SuperCard DSTWO Plus if not better.
So it can't even yet do the things a DSTwo can do (which was only mildly interesting at best)? If it has something interesting in the future like an amazing cheat engine or something (I hope it does, it is fun to be excited about new things) maybe it will be worth buying then but not now. It's like the people that put down $100 for a preorder and then the game turns out to be crap and not worth even $10. And there's no getting your money back. Just wait until the thing has shown everything it has before deciding if it is worth the $.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People crucify anything that works in similar ways and consider it a ripoff, scam, etc. To them if the exploit isn't being used uniquely it's wrong. If its functions are similar to another product it is wrong. DS Mode on the Stargate is apparently wrong too because again people want to compare it to the R4i flashcarts and what not. Which just proves my theory that in their eyes if it isn't unique it is wrong. If this is the case then maybe they should say the same for Nintendo 3DS consoles themselves, because both the Old and New models use the same OS and functionality, only difference is one has better hardware under the hood. The New 3DS isn't using a unique OS and set of functions from the Old 3DS, is that wrong too?? Now I completely understand the whole clone thing, I understand that it gets annoying to see so many lookalikes and what not. The Stargate really isn't considered a clone or "Ripoff" though (depends on how you want to look at it, in a price standpoint that's understandable, anyway else I do not see how). Let's get something straight here, let's just talk about the the function the Stargate uses to play 3DS games, YES it does exactly what the Sky3DS+ does (but faster), but here is the thing, are you seriously going to expect something unique just for us to play 3DS games? I mean come on, are you expecting some type of floating UI and some other bizarre things to pop out of the screen to display all the games you have or something? It's like a 4k monitor and a basic HD monitor (1920x1080), people DON'T NEED 4k they WANT IT, same thing for the flashcarts, YOU GUYS WANT something different even though WE DON'T NEED IT (all that really is needed is a bunch of hardware/kernel revisions to fix the compatibility issues). The way the Stargate goes about loading 3DS games is perfect, same for the Sky3DS/Sky3DS+, that doesn't make it a scam or a clone. Now moving on to DS mode, the Stargate is also able to play DS games. Yes it obviously looks like it uses the Acekard RPG/Wood R4 kernel, here is my question though, what more are you expecting out of something that is already good enough? One, the kernel it uses is actually favored by quite a few people, I myself enjoy the kernel and the feel of it, it makes me feel like I am using the old Acekard RPG flashcart again or the old R4 flashcart. The kernel is user friendly and all, again what more are you wanting? A flashcart that plays both DS and 3DS games all in one cart, well just saying this also reminds me of yet another flashcard I enjoy using and still enjoy using even now, the SuperCard DSTWO Plus. Yes the Stargate price is a bit high HOWEVER it will go down, you aren't giving the flashcart enough time to set itself in with the rest (let alone time to have its own spotlight). You aren't giving it any room to spread its wings.

Now let's talk about the comments people made about the problems the Stargate has currently that I listed earlier (I didn't list the problems to shame the flashcart or the team at all, they can be fixed), I want you to sit and think about this a second, think of all the original flashcarts out there, the M3, Acekard, R4, SuperCard, etc. Now I want you to ask yourself this, did these flashcarts ever have problems too? The answer is YES, of course they did, every flashcart has a problem, there is no flashcart out there that have no flaws. Each flashcart not only has similar issues as other flashcarts but also unique problems of their own, whether it is a kernel/OS issue or even a hardware flaw, ALL of them have and still do have hiccups somewhere. This can be fixed with either a hardware revision or a new kernel/OS update, sometimes BOTH methods are needed at once. Now if you were to use most of the original flashcarts, they will more than likely feel more complete currently than when they first came out and were used BECAUSE of these updates to the hardware or the kernel/OS it uses. The same process applies to the Stargate 3DS, the flashcart hasn't even received a firmware or kernel update yet and some of you are already judging the problems it has currently and have already shoved a big denial sign against the flashcart inside your head. That is like someone judging you before you even get the chance to actually improve yourself to be a better person. Basically it is like I stated above, some of you aren't giving the flashcart any room to be improved, you also aren't giving the developers time to fix the issues either. You are just wanting to rush everything, it isn't that simple.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Now let's talk about the comments people made about the problems the Stargate has currently that I listed earlier (I didn't list the problems to shame the flashcart or the team at all, they can be fixed), I want you to sit and think about this a second, think of all the original flashcarts out there, the M3, Acekard, R4, SuperCard, etc. Now I want you to ask yourself this, did these flashcarts ever have problems too? The answer is YES, of course they did, every flashcart has a problem, there is no flashcart out there that have no flaws. Each flashcart not only has similar issues as other flashcarts but also unique problems of their own, whether it is a kernel/OS issue or even a hardware flaw, ALL of them have and still do have hiccups somewhere. This can be fixed with either a hardware revision or a new kernel/OS update, sometimes BOTH methods are needed at once. Now if you were to use most of the original flashcarts, they will more than likely feel more complete currently than when they first came out and were used BECAUSE of these updates to the hardware or the kernel/OS it uses. The same process applies to the Stargate 3DS, the flashcart hasn't even received a firmware or kernel update yet and some of you are already judging the problems it has currently and have already shoved a big denial sign against the flashcart inside your head. That is like someone judging you before you even get the chance to actually improve yourself to be a better person. Basically it is like I stated above, some of you aren't giving the flashcart any room to be improved, you also aren't giving the developers time to fix the issues either. You are just wanting to rush everything, it isn't that simple.
Although you shouldn't judge them for features they only promised so far - only for features they delivered. The Supercard DSTWO got a bad review in the beginning because stuff like emulators that were announced for the card were missing on release. They are a flashcard team - they might as well run away without releasing an update and then you have a review full of promises that might never be fullfilled.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although you shouldn't judge them for features they only promised so far - only for features they delivered. The Supercard DSTWO got a bad review in the beginning because stuff like emulators that were announced for the card were missing on release. They are a flashcard team - they might as well run away without releasing an update and then you have a review full of promises that might never be fullfilled.
Yes it is possible for flashcart teams to just run away, however I highly doubt the Stargate team is gonna do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh