New report claims the Switch's successor will launch next year, with third-party developers in possession of dev kits

download (1).jpeg

The rumour mill continues around the successor to the Switch, but is this one the one? According to Video Games Chronicle, and corroborated by Eurogamer, Nintendo is likely to release its next-gen hardware in the second half of 2024. VGC's sources, which include "multiple people with knowledge of Nintendo's next-gen console plans", claim that the device will be useable in handheld mode and support physical cartridges like the Switch. However, backwards compatibility remains unclear.

The next-gen hardware will also apparently sport an LCD display, instead of an OLED one, in order to keep costs low while packing higher storage for higher fidelity games. Dev kits of the system are also with key partners, according to the report.

Of course, take this report with a grain of salt as these are unofficial news and rumours around a Switch Pro or Switch 2 have been around for a while. But eventually, we will get a successor to the Switch in one form or another; and whether it will replicate the latter's success remains to be seen.

:arrow: SOURCE

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, they haven't been fighting for power since the Gamecube. It wasn't obviously worth it. And their selling of devices seem to tell the world, they are right.
That’s the thing; I always see people dream about specific Nintendo games having the graphical headroom of other consoles. But with how dedicated they seem to ensure GameCube games are as buried as possible refusing to do any sort of VC support, they’re not gonna tread that path again. The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 AND cheaper, but never surpassed it, but that has other factors. People who worked on the GC state that it never had that “thing” to truly set it apart.

And it’s kind of happening again with Xbox Series consoles; it’s technically more powerful than the PS5 (in some areas, at least), Quick Resume (for games that support it), a solid pool of back compat titles, Game Pass, and Development Mode for emulators & gamedev. But the PS5 has 3D Audio (though games seem to have amazing sound mixing even without it so it depends), the DualSense’s adaptive triggers & gyro, VR support, and DirectStorage before PC. Also more consistent releases from comoanies in Asia like Square Enix & Capcom (still, why did they decide to skip Xbox on the MMBN collection???)
Microsoft admit it lost this “console war”.

People may like comfort & making the stuff they currently do better, though they also want new experiences.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can you put that difference into words?
Those systems you mention are from an era during which Nintendo was still able to support them, by regularly releasing new games (and I mean new as really new, not remakes or re-releases). They could barely support the Switch and had to re-release a ton of games from their old catalogue. There's no way they'll release a new console with backwards compatibility, which would deprive them of the chance of re-re-re-releasing this old stuff all over again. They just can't support a new system without resorting to this.

Last edited by Ligeia,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
It feels like the Switch 2 has been predicted for every year since before we even knew what the Switch was. Maybe they'll eventually be correct, but I don't think there's any urgency to replace what is still doing very well.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They did announce it some years ago. 😆

I'd bet it's gonna launch on the next Nintendo console, obviously.
Some years ago? Only? Well expect it to release in a few more years right?

• Haha
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's clear now that nintendo have no intention of taking advantage of the latest technology in todays gaming. instead they just want to make and recycle the same shit over and over and over again and remain stuck in the past!
oh whats this ps5 just announced it's getting dolby atmos support in games and what will this next console have nintablet? I bet you it will still be Dolby surround! :rofl2:

xbmcuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Miyamoto has said the follow up to the Switch, will have a major gimick on it:

What do we think?

1) convert to VR by sliding into VR helmet.
or
2) Dual screens
or
3) Intel/AMD based x86 to allow 3rd parties to port easily from ps5,xbox or PC games?
or
4) its not a handheld but a home console

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if you push this rumor at least once a year, you’re bound to be right at some point.
True, a broken clock is right at least twice a day (and wrong 1438 times), but we are at that stage in the Switch's lifecycle, with all signs pointing to new hardware needing to be (at the least) announced very soon.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Kioku

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

What do we think?

or
2) Dual screens
or
3) Intel/AMD based x86 to allow 3rd parties to port easily from ps5,xbox or PC games?
or
None of the above makes any sense.

MightySashiman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I think that would be just about the perfect timing, before seeing a sharp decline in sales of the current console.
why would a “sharp decline in console sales” be bad? That’s the same stupid “infinite-growth” thing that’s leading our world to collapse. There are so-many people on this planet that are interested in the platform, and it is only logical that it should plateau at some point. Doesn’t mean the platform is “dead”, just that it has reached maturity. There are masses of consoles already sold in players hands. Studios just need to keep on building good games and people who own switch consoles will buy them.
I’m getting sick of this pump and ditch logic everywhere.

I was never interested in the swtich until a couple of months ago. Got an OLED one, and am delighted with the catalog. It just demonstrates the world doesn’t necessarily need 16K resolution better-than-reality graphics on supercalculator-like power devices: what players want are GOOD games. Stop being a compulsive tech buyer, start being a player.

Reactions: Ligeia

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why would a “sharp decline in console sales” be bad? That’s the same stupid “infinite-growth” thing that’s leading our world to collapse. There are so-many people on this planet that are interested in the platform, and it is only logical that it should plateau at some point. Doesn’t mean the platform is “dead”, just that it has reached maturity. There are masses of consoles already sold in players hands. Studios just need to keep on building good games and people who own switch consoles will buy them.
I’m getting sick of this pump and ditch logic everywhere.

I was never interested in the swtich until a couple of months ago. Got an OLED one, and am delighted with the catalog. It just demonstrates the world doesn’t necessarily need 16K resolution better-than-reality graphics on supercalculator-like power devices: what players want are GOOD games. Stop being a compulsive tech buyer, start being a player.
I get your point, but by your philosophy, we should all still be playing on our NES and not getting tired of the awesome graphics, while awaiting the next great game release. Console generations have always averaged about 7 years, so the Switch's turn has come up. Remember you are a late adopter. People who were there from the beginning are understandably a little tired of the hardware.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch pro release in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024...oh wait...
Yeah, Switch Pro was 'wishful thinking' on the consumer's part and made people more skeptical each time we heard it like the Boy Who Cried 'Wolf'. Here's the thing: Nintendo obviously didn't see a financial need to release one. But they do have a financial need to release Switch's successor by 2024. Switch unit sales are drying up and will further decline. The Switch's game cupboard is empty with only 2 games announced for 2024.
Post automatically merged:

I just hope it's going to be as easy to hack as the original Switch, best homebrew console of all time
History dictates original hardware versions have more vulnerabilities than later 'patched' models, so...if the Switch 2 is hackable, Version 1 will most likely be the easiest.

The real question is: How long will it take some whiz kid out there to hack it...days? weeks? months?

Last edited by djnate27,

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
If Nintendo ever releases a new console (which is far from certain as far as I'm concerned), it won't be backwards compatible, that's for sure. That way they'll be able to re-release all the Switch catalogue like they did for the Wii U games. That's the only way Nintendo can possibly support their systems nowadays.
More of their system have had backwards compat than haven't.

The only ones that didn't are ones with a completely different game media. WiiU > Switch, switch couldn't use discs. But Wiiu could play Wii games as it was discs. The Wii played GameCube games.

3DS played DS games
DS even played Game boy Advance games AND gameboy games.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I al
More of their system have had backwards compat than haven't.

The only ones that didn't are ones with a completely different game media. WiiU > Switch, switch couldn't use discs. But Wiiu could play Wii games as it was discs. The Wii played GameCube games.

3DS played DS games
DS even played Game boy Advance games AND gameboy games.
I already just responded to that argument in one of the last posts.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
I al

I already just responded to that argument in one of the last posts.
Are you unironically suggesting that a Switch 2 won't have backwards compatibility so Nintendo can sell Switch 1 games again on Switch 2?

That's your theory? You realize that the only reason Nintendo sold so many WiiU ports on Switch was because literally nobody bought a WiiU so those games were "new" to 99% of Switch owners?

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Are you unironically suggesting that a Switch 2 won't have backwards compatibility so Nintendo can sell Switch 1 games again on Switch 2?

That's your theory? You realize that the only reason Nintendo sold so many WiiU ports on Switch was because literally nobody bought a WiiU so those games were "new" to 99% of Switch owners?
No, my theory is Nintendo is not about to release a new system, and you just gave one of the many reasons why.

Last edited by Ligeia,

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least this time it's a reasonable timeframe rumor. Unlike Bloomberg and Wall Street Journal reports from like 2-3 years into the Switch's life claiming a new model was coming, and people losing their shit because they don't realize those journals have been jokes for years now. They're the Kotaku of business and finance.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Which is precisely why I believe a new Nintendo console will not be happening any time soon. They have absolutely zero reason to bother making a new console at this point.
That's not really true, ToTK runs at 480p and 15 FPS in spots. If Nintendo doesn't even have enough power to optimize their own games for Switch, they can't expect better from third-party devs. It's a six-year-old console and it was fairly underpowered to begin with, so we're now to the point where roughly half of all AAA games aren't being ported.

Reactions: KingVamp

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
it's clear now that nintendo have no intention of taking advantage of the latest technology in todays gaming. instead they just want to make and recycle the same shit over and over and over again and remain stuck in the past!
oh whats this ps5 just announced it's getting dolby atmos support in games and what will this next console have nintablet? I bet you it will still be Dolby surround! :rofl2:
They can't have the latest tech though. Not when they have always chosen to have an affordable price point.

NOBODY would accept the Switch 2 for $599. Nobody. So the tech will have to fit a $300-400 price point. Take a look at the Steam Deck for comparison. It's like $499+ and only 800p with an LCD screen.
Post automatically merged:

What do we think?

or
2) Dual screens
or
or
I think they might do VR. Which will be awful. 6 years of Nintendo forcing VR into every game. No no nooooooooooooo

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo