Hardware New Faster Lighter 3DS Console Announced

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I give on the charger thing. :tpi:

Just because the case itself is a rectangle doesn't mean that it magically can't have normal dual analog. If anything, the only thing that restricts the 3DS from having proper dual analog is Nintendo's insistence on making it thin and small - if they made it 1 centimeter wider, we wouldn't have this problem and it would still be portable. The Wii U gamepad strongly resembles a 3DS's bottom half and it has dual analog. By extension, the same could be done on a 3DS just fine.
I'm pretty sure if we only had the Xl's then we would have full circle pads and I wouldn't be surprised if the next handheld.

Side note. I'm glad that we are most likely getting 3d for the next handheld too.

Reactions: MyJoyConRunsHot

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok, I give on the charger thing. :tpi: I'm pretty sure if we only had the Xl's then we would have full circle pads and I wouldn't be surprised if the next handheld. Side note. I'm glad that we are most likely getting 3d for the next handheld too.
Same difference to me, I barely use it anyways.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind the 3DS being wider, just as long as it can still slide into my shirt pocket (that's the whole reason I got the original 3DS, not the XL). Either way, I don't have problems with the D-Pad, I use it on everything besides 3DS games, it's comfortable to me. Then again my hands are rather gorilla like and have a wide range of movement while still being comfortable. I've dealt with far more uncomfortable controls over my lifetime. My only complaint about the original 3DS is how square it is, I wish it was shaped more like the original GBA. Then again, the Hori Grip Stand fixed that for me.

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind the 3DS being wider, just as long as it can still slide into my shirt pocket (that's the whole reason I got the original 3DS, not the XL). Either way, I don't have problems with the D-Pad, I use it on everything besides 3DS games, it's comfortable to me. Then again my hands are rather gorilla like and have a wide range while still being comfortable. I've dealt with far more uncomfortable controls over my lifetime. My only complaint about the original 3DS is how square it is, I wish it was shaped more like the original GBA. Then again, the Hori Grip Stand fixed that for me.

I used to keep my original and XL in my front pants pocket. I stopped because it caused awful screen scratches on both, even though the XL had screen protectors. :hateit: Plus all the dust.

So for me personally, pocket portability doesn't really mean anything. Though I know that's not the case for a lot of people.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to keep my original and XL in my front pants pocket. I stopped because it caused awful screen scratches on both, even though the XL had screen protectors. :hateit: Plus all the dust.

So for me personally, pocket portability doesn't really mean anything. Though I know that's not the case for a lot of people.
Yeah, pants pockets are horrible for handhelds. I've run into so many people with screwed up L/R buttons cause they carry them in their pants' pocket. Shirt pocket has worked incredibly well for me for the past eight years, so I'm fine with it. I do have a purse I will carry on a fun day out, and I keep my Hori grip and everything else in there, but for casual everyday life I just carry my 3DS without my Hori grip or anything in my shirt pocket. That way I can easily sit down and play it for ten minutes if I end up waiting for something while not carrying around anything bulky.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, pants pockets are horrible for handhelds. I've run into so many people with screwed up L/R buttons cause they carry them in their pants' pocket. Shirt pocket has worked incredibly well for me for the past eight years, so I'm fine with it. I do have a purse I will carry on a fun day out, and I keep my Hori grip and everything else in there, but for casual everyday life I just carry my 3DS without my Hori grip or anything in my shirt pocket. That way I can easily sit down and play it for ten minutes if I end up waiting for something while not carrying around anything bulky.

Cargo pants, just saying. But After carrying it around for around 5 hours (streetpasses at work) my knee will start to hurt.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cargo pants, just saying. But After carrying it around for around 5 hours (streetpasses at work) my knee will start to hurt.
I rather like my shirt pockets. I can keep my phone, 3DS, and Game Boy Micro in there fairly easily. I'll probably put the Micro on the shelf whenever I decide to buy the DSTwo Supercard for my 3DS. I love small handhelds, I put a high value on pocket space. Also means I can keep better track of them, as they're right below my face against my chest.

I am wondering how much more comfortable the N3DS's housing will be than the 3DS. If it's to a significant degree, I might have to look into getting a hold of a N3DS housing and modifying it and swapping it onto my current 3DS. I don't mind laying down $10 for a bit of comfort as long as it doesn't have any real drawbacks.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I prefer the Dual Shock layout that came out on the PS1 era myself. I am using a Logitech cordless rumble 2 controller for PC gaming which is quite similar.
I am looking forward to trying out that new 3DS layout myself to see how it all feels though since i was still holding out on a 3DS purchase. Might get this one or the next version they come out with, not sure yet :P

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see a lot of people talking about the 3DS second analog and it's placement but there is something that is troubling me even more, the D-Pad.
From DSLite to 3DS XL, there isn't a single good D-Pad, and it looks this D-Pad remains the same.
As someone who gre up playing 2D plataformers in the d-pad since SNES era I find it really akward to use analog on them,
also Sony has already proven that handhelds can have great d-pads, to say the truth, even DS Phat had better d-pad,
and considering most Nintendo IPs consist of 2D platformers thet should invest on a better one

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I see a lot of people talking about the 3DS second analog and it's placement but there is something that is troubling me even more, the D-Pad.
From DSLite to 3DS XL, there isn't a single good D-Pad, and it looks this D-Pad remains the same.
As someone who gre up playing 2D plataformers in the d-pad since SNES era I find it really akward to use analog on them,
also Sony has already proven that handhelds can have great d-pads, to say the truth, even DS Phat had better d-pad,
and considering most Nintendo IPs consist of 2D platformers thet should invest on a better one

The dpad on the XL is okay, as long as I don't need to use the L button. But as soon as I need that L button, things get messy. :hateit:

That said, the circle pad works better as a dpad replacement than most other analog setups I've seen. I just played through all of Azure Striker Gunvolt using the circle pad almost exclusively, and it was fine, for me.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The dpad on the XL is okay, as long as I don't need to use the L button. But as soon as I need that L button, things get messy. :hateit:

Honestly there isn't much difference from 3DS XL d-pad to the original one d-pad.
I don't know if you have played with DS Phat but that d-pad was a thoushand times better.
Aso, PSP and Vita's d-pad are way better than 3DS/3DS XL d-pad

That said, the circle pad works better as a dpad replacement than most other analog setups I've seen. I just played through all of Azure Striker Gunvolt using the circle pad almost exclusively, and it was fine, for me.

It's a matter of getting used to it, as a old fashioned gamer there are games that I simply won't play with the analog.
That's like when my friend said he played Street Fighter IV on X360's analog and I was like, this is a heresy,
a fighting game should not be played on an analog, of course I was kidding, but I still find it strange and damn awkward

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly there isn't much difference from 3DS XL d-pad to the original one d-pad.
I don't know if you have played with DS Phat but that d-pad was a thoushand times better.

I like the PSP d-pad as it is like the dual shock controllers. I like the Vitas d-pad but because it is so small and closed in its hard for me to play fighting type games on there such as Marvel vs Capcom because the buttoms lean towards the center.
In terms of d-pad for me
PsP>3ds=PsVita(in some cases)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It made a huge difference to me. The matte finish on the original's dpad (and triggers, and even face buttons) seriously hurt my fingers, so much so that I would get deep corduroy marks on my index fingers and left thumb when playing games like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Mega Man Zero Collection. That's never happened to me on the XL, though.
I've never even seen a DS phat in person, so I wouldn't know. The only DS models I've owned are DS Lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL.
I disagree about the PSP, personally. I'ts nowhere near as bad as the original 3DS dpad, but it definitely causes me a similar discomfort and pain from extended use. The size and position are better for sure, though. I haven't played the Vita outside of store demo units, but it certainly felt comfortable, albeit a little too loose for my tastes.
It's a matter of getting used to it, as a old fashioned gamer there are games that I simply won't play with the analog.
That's like when my friend said he played Street Fighter IV on X360's analog and I was like, this is a heresy,
a fighting game should not be played on an analog, of course I was kidding, but I still find it strange and damn awkward

It certainly is somewhat awkward to play games like Azure Striker Gunvolt with the circle pad. I would've definitely played it with the dpad if the game didn't rely so heavily on the L button for dashing (if you've ever played a Mega Man X or Zero game, you know what I'm talking about).

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It certainly is somewhat awkward to play games like Azure Striker Gunvolt with the circle pad. I would've definitely played it with the dpad if the game didn't rely so heavily on the L button for dashing (if you've ever played a Mega Man X or Zero game, you know what I'm talking about).

I never really needed shoulder buttons for Megaman games, at least not basic functions like jumping, dashing and shooting.
Azure Striker has only four moves, pistol shot, jump, eletrocuting and dash, all of them can be done on ABXY.
I use them this way:
A - Shoot
B - Jump
X - Eletrocute
Y - Dash
That way I avoid using the shoulder buttons, that makes gameplay a lot more comfortable ;)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I never really needed shoulder buttons for Megaman games, at least not basic functions like jumping, dashing and shooting.
Azure Striker has only four moves, pistol shot, jump, eletrocuting and dash, all of them can be done on ABXY.
I use them this way:
A - Shoot
B - Jump
X - Eletrocute
Y - Dash
That way I avoid using the shoulder buttons, that makes gameplay a lot more comfortable ;)
I don't know how you pull that off. I can barely survive in Mega Man and similar games with each finger on a function at all times. :P

I guess I'm just really used to the two face button and triggers set up because Mega Man Zero on the GBA was my first introduction to the series.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Wake up, it's da first of da month
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Wake up, it's da first of da month