OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i haven't messed with nesds in so long. this compatibility list burned me out =P.

load a game, click the bottom screen, use "save state" and "load state." the gui is twitchy (due to outdated code). you could give nesds mod a try, it has d-pad combinations for save/load/etc.

-another world

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
A few more to add to the not working list, unfortunately:
After Burner (Don't remember which version of dump as I renamed it): Intro is glitchy, then only a few sprites appear, not worth playing.
After Burner II: See After Burner for details.
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: Doesn't load up at all.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Skyline969 said:
After Burner (Don't remember which version of dump as I renamed it): Intro is glitchy, then only a few sprites appear, not worth playing.

not sure how i missed these, perhaps they weren't in the 3.10 goodnes set i based all of the work off of. thank you for the information, which has forced me to revisit this compatibility list. i find that while after burner has no intro and some missing graphics the core game play is just fine. you can fly, shoot, lock on and launch missiles. i consider this very playable, but with glitches. all of the after burner unlicensed tengen carts seem to be emulated the same way and display the same glitches. with that said, i find the same results with after burner II. the glitch intro and lack of background graphics. i am testing with goodnes 3.14 and all of the dumps display the same problems. i consider this game playable as well. be sure to run only the dumps in my list as the bad dumps occasionally crashed back to the intro screen. as for bill & teds all dumps in goodnes 3.14 fail to load. they will be listed accordingly in the list.

-another world

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Another World said:
Skyline969 said:

not sure how i missed these, perhaps they weren't in the 3.10 goodnes set i based all of the work off of. thank you for the information, which has forced me to revisit this compatibility list. i find that while after burner has no intro and some missing graphics the core game play is just fine. you can fly, shoot, lock on and launch missiles. i consider this very playable, but with glitches. all of the after burner unlicensed tengen carts seem to be emulated the same way and display the same glitches. with that said, i find the same results with after burner II. the glitch intro and lack of background graphics. i am testing with goodnes 3.14 and all of the dumps display the same problems. i consider this game playable as well. be sure to run only the dumps in my list as the bad dumps occasionally crashed back to the intro screen. as for bill & teds all dumps in goodnes 3.14 fail to load. they will be listed accordingly in the list.

-another world
If you use FCE Ultra, the graphics are intact in After Burner. Did you get to the second or third level in After Burner? If you can't see the missiles that follow you from behind, then be warned that the game is unplayable after that level.

As for Bill and Ted, I didn't test it in FCE Ultra, but I'm sure it works.

I will be on the lookout for other ROMs that don't work in nesDS.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Skyline969 said:
I will be on the lookout for other ROMs that don't work in nesDS.

i only tested on nesds for a few minutes of play for each dump of the rom. i did list that it has issues in the 'list 1' area. for now i don't really care to fully test every game. i do appreciate your information and i will adjust the list accordingly. please post any more information that you discover.

cheers,
-another world

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
gokuguy said:
hdofu: Im not an expert, but about T.M.N.T. 3, i personally think you might have a bad dump. I had the same problem not long ago with Kirby Superstar (U) for SNES on PC. It wouldnt allow me to move on after the explosion on Meta Knight's game, i was stuck in a room, & the hole never appeared in the background for a door. Tried ZSNES & SNESx9, neither would work at that part. Found out it was a bad dump, some information was cut during dumping. Got another rom, worked up to that point again,

It worked fine in nesterds plus and on nestopia

cturtle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Strange, I've played several of those games that you labeled either "very glitchy" or "unplayable" and never had a problem. Come to think of it, other than the odd minor graphics glitch I honestly can't remember ever having problems playing any NES games in nesDS (until I tried to play on the DSi anyway).

Which flash cart are you using? Not that I'm questioning your knowledge on the subject because I'm guessing based on the time involved to do this you probably know what you're doing. Just curious really.
smile.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
geokes said:
Is it possible to fix the Batman bug? (rly want to play it
tongue.gif
)

http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?p=53647#53647

QUOTEWhat: A couple Japanese RPGs are affected as well.
Why: Read on.

PC-based emulators generate a bitmap for the video card to display. PocketNES, on the other hand, uses high-level emulation to speed up rendering, meaning it has to map all NES graphics into the GBA video model.

NES games can switch among multiple CHR (texture) banks. For each scanline, PocketNES determines which bank is used by a majority of the area on that line. Because bankswitching usually takes the full attention of the CPU like other raster effects, most games don't change banks in the middle of each line, so it works out well. And even in games like Marble Madness, the majority of area uses the same bank, so the glitches are minor.

But the MMC2 mapper (Punch-Out!!) and the MMC4 mapper (Famicom Wars and Fire Emblem series) have a capability for automatic mid-scanline bankswitching whenever the raster passes over tile $FD or $FE. In the screenshot you showed, roughly equal areas use each of the two banks, which is the second-worst case for PocketNES's algorithm.[1]

[1] The worst is MMC5 ExGrafix.

that might explain it. i'm not sure about what mapper batman uses but it seems to suffer from the problem described above. keep in mind that nesds is a ds build of pocketnes, which makes the info above relevant.

-another world

T

TerranigmaFreak

I like to point out that Magic of Scheherazade does not work, at least not beatable unless you're VERY lucky. The game resets to the title screen every time the enemy monsters cast a spell. So while it looks playable, this glitch essentially cripples the game.

Volkspolizist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bugs in castlevania III (and 2 romhacks) - tested on R4.

(U)
-Glitchy graphics while first picture in the intro scrolls in (instead of the actual picture, you get numbers and characters)
-Same glitch applied to the whole screen when going through doors
-Completely Invisible moving sprites (enemies) in areas scrolled vertically

(E)
-Glitchy graphics while first picture in the intro rolls in (instead of the actual picture, you get numbers and characters)

(J)
-Broken music (Emulator does not support additional konami sound channels

Castlevania ressurection (romhack):
-Same as (J)

MarioVania III (romhack):
-Same as.. i don't remember if it was the same as (U) or (E) now. sorry.

Overall:
-No DPCM sounds and such are, naturally, working. Too bad since CVIII Might be one of the most well worked out games for that console, but that's a personal opinion.

=====

I heaven't read through the whole list but i might aswell add these observations:

MiG-29 Soviet fighter (U) freezes upon the start of lvl 1 - Visually, the exact same thing happened in my emulator but could be worked around switching between NSTC/PAL modes

Hunt for red october, the (U) - Completely broken in-game graphics, therefore unplayable

Double dragon 2 (U) - When i tested this, it freezed at the beginning of level 3, not 1. All cutscene graphics are glitchy.

dmace81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thankyou I will keep this list handy
smile.gif

God there is so many I wish could be fully working right.
frown.gif

Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
Paperboy
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
MC Kids
Bad Dudes
Batman
Crystalis
Joe & Mac
Karateka
Little Nemo
Mario Is Missing
Menace Beach
Ninja Gaiden
Pyramid
Punisher
Ski Or Die
Star Tropics 2
Vindicators
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Castlevania 3

Maybe someone will get it so they will work who knows right?
I wish I knew how to do that stuff. Is there a way to patch the roms to work better?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
@Volkspolizist: i haven't thought about this project for so long. i've wanted to revisit it after goodnes 3.14 was released but i just don't have the time to do that. i'll see about making edits for castlevania III at some point in the future. i've known for awhile that it had issues, i just keep finding other projects to get involved with and forgetting about this one.

@dmace81: the source code for the emu is freely available, you are welcome to try to make additons to the mapper support. there were a few hacks already to allow for the support of 1 or 2 games and a ips font hack for some rpgs. dwedit was working on a port of pocketnes to slot1 but i have no heard anything about that project for over a year.

-another world

powerfull Tails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh! i have one game to add to the list!

Match rider (U)

(well tecnecly it has a porblem with ever ver of it E,U,J if a J and E ver exsist)

Problem- the game will boot and you can get into the main game however the gfx go all insain and it once made nes ds give me a error and freeze.

so really due to the fact that the gfx go insain and that it makes playing tha game hard...id say mach rider is not working on nes ds.

TheLegendaryJame

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who knows this or not, but Startropics 2 does work (without patching). This worked with AKAIO 1.8.1 using the newest version of NesDS. In the beginning how it had white and black flashes, all you have to do is hold down the R button for i'd say about 2-3 minutes, then the loading screen will appear and the game will work. However I have found some other bugs, but they're not that bad (from what iv'e played). Sorry I can't tell you the site where to get the ROM because it is against the GBAtemp rules. Hoped I helped the GBAtemp community on how to play Startropics 2 on NesDS.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been