Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, im not sure where to post this, but i can post somewhere else if wrong section...
any way ive got a 3ds xl with the hard mod on it and im trying to restore my nand backup that i made a while back via the GateWay method, only problem is i have the blue screen of death now and i cant restore via GateWay anymore.
I do have the hardware mod installed and it reads and writes just fine on my laptop, but it simply wont fix the blue screen.
My nand backup created from the gateway card is in .BIN format do i need to change this for it to work the micro SD mod?

What is the booterror code that you get? and when did this start happening? Did you install the mod yourself, if so you might want to check that nothing is being grounded. If it reads and writes just fine it might be an issue with the system hardware at this point and not so much the software.

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
What is the booterror code that you get? and when did this start happening? Did you install the mod yourself, if so you might want to check that nothing is being grounded. If it reads and writes just fine it might be an issue with the system hardware at this point and not so much the software.

Yes i installed the mod myself,
what happened is i inadvertently updated to firmware 9.5 so i felt i had no choice but to re flash the nand via the hardware mod, from previously created Gateway backup, but instead of having it downgrade now i have BSOD lol, just a paper weight, i was not happy with myself!

Attachments

• DSC_0525.JPG
    DSC_0525.JPG
    689.2 KB · Views: 1,244

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i installed the mod myself,
what happened is i inadvertently updated to firmware 9.5 so i felt i had no choice but to re flash the nand via the hardware mod, from previously created Gateway backup, but instead of having it downgrade now i have BSOD lol, just a paper weight, i was not happy with myself!
Before you downgraded did you back it up a couple times and check if your backups are okay?, based on size and a simple hex look. Also did this bluescreen start happening when you restored the other firmware? When I have seen corrupted images the system just hangs on a black screen and won't boot. I'm not sure about this though, if you have a back up of 9.5 you might want to try and restore that, if it still is a blue screen you might want to look at your eMMC mod. :unsure:

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France

So after what handling blue screen appeared ?!?

1. Do you have modded your console after updated it in 9.5 or before ?
2. When you have modded your console, do you have tested it first with wires not connected to USB reader to see if your console switches on normally ?
3. When you switch on your console, the blue screen appears instantly or after 2 seconds ?

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh so I donno anything about that card reader, did it work before? Your pinout on the SD card adapter part looks correct. The two that I use are the Anker® USB 3.0 and TekRepublic TUC-300 Card Readers. Some of the others I have tested have controllers that work sometimes or work for the 3DS but not N3DS, or a different eMMC and not another.

Reactions: atkfromabove

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh so I donno anything about that card reader, did it work before? Your pinout on the SD card adapter part looks correct. The two that I use are the Anker® USB 3.0 and TekRepublic TUC-300 Card Readers. Some of the others I have tested have controllers that work sometimes or work for the 3DS but not N3DS, or a different eMMC and not another.

Thanks I just bought the TekRepublic one!

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Before you downgraded did you back it up a couple times and check if your backups are okay?, based on size and a simple hex look. Also did this bluescreen start happening when you restored the other firmware? When I have seen corrupted images the system just hangs on a black screen and won't boot. I'm not sure about this though, if you have a back up of 9.5 you might want to try and restore that, if it still is a blue screen you might want to look at your eMMC mod. :unsure:

i only used the gateway backup method for the nand, and ive upgrade then downgraded via gateway a couple of times now just for the sake of testing, so its unlikely to be a corrupted file.
Also the blue screen only happened when i tried to downgrade via SD mod After mistakenly upgrading to (9.5) and unfortunately i only have the one Nand backup file which is (4.4)

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So after what handling blue screen appeared ?!?

1. Do you have modded your console after updated it in 9.5 or before ?
2. When you have modded your console, do you have tested it first with wires not connected to USB reader to see if your console switches on normally ?
3. When you switch on your console, the blue screen appears instantly or after 2 seconds ?

1. Yes i did the SD mod After i updated to 9.5 as a last resort...
2. cant do that test as was blue screening before mod
3. And it BLue screens instantly, their is no time or hanging...

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm I have the sames setup. Are there any specific drivers that you use? I am using the generic one that Windows 7 auto installs. Here are some photos of the card reader and SD adapter.

20150319_165239_resized_1.jpg

20150319_165359_resized.jpg

20150319_170249_resized.jpg

20150319_170236_resized.jpg
[/quot

Also i cut the bridge on the SD card as i noticed it wasn't reading in my laptop before i did that.... im not sure if that was the right thing to do or not

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i only used the gateway backup method for the nand, and ive upgrade then downgraded via gateway a couple of times now just for the sake of testing, so its unlikely to be a corrupted file.
Also the blue screen only happened when i tried to downgrade via SD mod After mistakenly upgrading to (9.5) and unfortunately i only have the one Nand backup file which is (4.4)

2. cant do that test as was blue screening before mod
So the blue screen was happening after you updated to 9.5 and before you installed the mod? I would be a bit worried if this was the case because this might point to hardware failure somewhere. If the bluescreen was happening after you installed the mod then it might just be a mis-connection somewhere. I take it you cannot boot the system normally when the mod is not connected to anything?

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So the blue screen was happening after you updated to 9.5 and before you installed the mod? I would be a bit worried if this was the case because this might point to hardware failure somewhere. If the bluescreen was happening after you installed the mod then it might just be a mis-connection somewhere. I take it you cannot boot the system normally when the mod is not connected to anything?

Yeah the upgrade to 9.5 was fine, it was only when I decided to downgrade that I ran into problems. Maybe my wiring isnt strong enough. Also on my sd card there was a bridge connection between 2 of the contacts, I snipped it it because I noticed their was wasn't one in the guide.
Maybe I should join a wire and retest when I get home

Attachments

• DSC_0518.JPG
    DSC_0518.JPG
    747.4 KB · Views: 449

Avalynn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um two thing, you might want to consider shortening your wires if you can, and the bridge is normally there for SD cards as pins 3 and 6 are both GND on a standard SD card. They are linked because on a adapter the micro SD only has one ground which goes to pin 6, so it links them together.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Ok i did a NAND Hardmod on a 3DS XL today:

Output on blue screen:
(Top and Bottom)

Bootrom 8046

ERRCODE:
00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000200 00000000

I guess that's ok :)

Connected to PC and it asked to format the new detected dfrive, obvious i answered NO
Then started Win32DiskImager and pushed READ, i suppose that's it :)

After updating to 9.6 sysnand i get this:

Bootrom 8046

ERRCODE:
00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

Ok writting does not work:
An error occurred when attempting to write data to handle.
Error 1117: kan de opdracht niet uitvoeren door een fout in een I/O apparaat

[EDIT]
Now it says everytime 00000200 instead of 400
and the other problem error 1117 is solved.
Nevermind, i had to tape the write protection on the SD (no switch), now it writes back the backup nand :)
So i upgraded from 9.2 to 9.6 and downgraded back to 9.2 succesfull :)

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You finally used an XL instead of original 3DS ;)
I'm glad you could fix your writing issue.
I would have tried writing before updating, just to be sure the mod was correctly done. it's less scary.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
You finally used an XL instead of original 3DS ;)
I'm glad you could fix your writing issue.
I would have tried writing before updating, just to be sure the mod was correctly done. it's less scary.

Yes, the XL seemed to be more easy to do then the original 3DS (and it was relative easy)
Yeah in my hurry to get it done, i forgot about the writting :), but all worked out nice :)

Some pictures inside:
(I used a broken DVD drive and ripped appart some stuff i needed, it's not a fancy job, just quick and dirty, but it works :) )

DSC05069.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

DSC05099.jpg

DSC05100.jpg

DSC05105.jpg

DSC05108.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again