milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks, eggsample and your discovery.
anyway, i used the sd card metal housing for the ground, shortened the
wires and it's still not detected, turns out the problem was the sd card reader.
my usual sd card reader doesn't work on the 2ds.
of all my readers, only the Transcend 15-in-1 works.
2ds nand dump has the same size as the regular 3ds.

What is the color of the SD plug of your USB reader because I have noticed this :

Front
usb_sd_adapters_front.jpg

Back
usb_sd_adapters_back.jpg

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, would using the other DAT lines really improve the reading speed?
I'm asking because I'm planning on doing this on my N3DS XL and, unless I'm wrong, the N3DS NAND size is 4Gb, isn't it?

With only DAT0 I get 4.5mb/s which takes roughly 5 minutes to read ~950Mb from a 3DS, so it'll take much longer to finish reading the whole ~4Gb if we use only the DAT0.

Thanks!

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
[message deleted]

PS : Sorry for this false joy, I thinked launch dump of the nand but I have dumped an SD card content plugged together on my computer...

Sorry for this thoughtlessness, it's late here. ^^'

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Guys, would using the other DAT lines really improve the reading speed?
I'm asking because I'm planning on doing this on my N3DS XL and, unless I'm wrong, the N3DS NAND size is 4Gb, isn't it?

With only DAT0 I get 4.5mb/s which takes roughly 5 minutes to read ~950Mb from a 3DS, so it'll take much longer to finish reading the whole ~4Gb if we use only the DAT0.

Thanks!
nope the n3ds has either a 1.2GB or 1.8GB nand, 1 dat line is still perfectly fine, but just for the reference, 1 data line averages about 4-6mb/s, having all 4 connected averages out at 12-15mb/s iirc

basically 1 data line is perfectly fine for a n3ds, unless you plan to do a lot of backwards and forwards flashing

Reactions: mvmiranda

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on USB2.0 or 3.0 for all DAT lines but yeah, 1x mode is fine, how often are you reading and writing I guess?

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
nope the n3ds has either a 1.2GB or 1.8GB nand, 1 dat line is still perfectly fine, but just for the reference, 1 data line averages about 4-6mb/s, having all 4 connected averages out at 12-15mb/s iirc

basically 1 data line is perfectly fine for a n3ds, unless you plan to do a lot of backwards and forwards flashing

Depends on USB2.0 or 3.0 for all DAT lines but yeah, 1x mode is fine, how often are you reading and writing I guess?

Not that often... In fact, I'm only doing this because I plan on using my N3DS right away for everything.
I'll sys transfer everything from my old 3DS XL to my N3DS XL and buy a Sky3DS while Gateway does not release support.
After GW releases the N3DS support, I'll take another N3DS sysNAND backup, convert it into emuNAND and flash back my 9.0 backup to sysNAND.
I've done this in the past with other 3DS XL.

Do you guys think of any reason I should not do it?

PS: Besides, if GW never releases support, I just pass back everything to my 3DS XL and remain with Gateway.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Not that often... In fact, I'm only doing this because I plan on using my N3DS right away for everything.
I'll sys transfer everything from my old 3DS XL to my N3DS XL and buy a Sky3DS while Gateway does not release support.
After GW releases the N3DS support, I'll take another N3DS sysNAND backup, convert it into emuNAND and flash back my 9.0 backup to sysNAND.
I've done this in the past with other 3DS XL.

Do you guys think of any reason I should not do it?

PS: Besides, if GW never releases support, I just pass back everything to my 3DS XL and remain with Gateway.
yeah just do a 4 wire mod, and if your not certain you will be keeping the n3DS in the long run, you could just conceal the port inside the case rather than cutting a hole....and then if/when gateway does release open it up and downgrade.....if they dont and there is no point downgrading...well at least you haven't cosmetically damaged the 3ds

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
yeah just do a 4 wire mod, and if your not certain you will be keeping the n3DS in the long run, you could just conceal the port inside the case rather than cutting a hole....and then if/when gateway does release open it up and downgrade.....if they dont and there is no point downgrading...well at least you haven't cosmetically damaged the 3ds

Yup!
Thx gamesquest1!

Tiberius

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I have a 3dsXL accidentally upgraded to 9.5 and I want to revert it back to 4.4.

Fortunately I have a 4.4 Nand.bin file dumped from the same 3ds using Gateway. I have verified that it is exactly the correct size to the last byte.
I'm ok with the hardware modification and the use of Win32diskimager.

My question is...can I use the unaltered Nand.bin file I mentioned without renaming it to a .img file or changing it in anyway?
Just simply write Nand.bin to my 3ds' Nand and it will be like the whole sorry upgrade had never ever happened?

I have read a good chunk of the 87 pages and couldn't find the exact answer to my question so I thought I would ask.

Please help. Thank you.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi, I have a 3dsXL accidentally upgraded to 9.5 and I want to revert it back to 4.4.

Fortunately I have a 4.4 Nand.bin file dumped from the same 3ds using Gateway. I have verified that it is exactly the correct size to the last byte.
I'm ok with the hardware modification and the use of Win32diskimager.

My question is...can I use the unaltered Nand.bin file I mentioned without renaming it to a .img file or changing it in anyway?
Just simply write Nand.bin to my 3ds' Nand and it will be like the whole sorry upgrade had never ever happened?

I have read a good chunk of the 87 pages and couldn't find the exact answer to my question so I thought I would ask.

Please help. Thank you.
yeah just choose view all file types in win32diskimager, or rename to .img (file name doesn't effect the file)

Tiberius

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your quick response gamesquest1
I thought that might be the case but I didn't want to mess things up.

It's good to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thank you, much appreciated.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thank you for your quick response gamesquest1
I thought that might be the case but I didn't want to mess things up.

It's good to hear it from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thank you, much appreciated.
just backup what you already have on there, just to cover your arse if the nand dump you are flashing back is screwed up or whatever

Tiberius

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you once again gamesquest1 and to all responsible for the information within this forum. I successfully managed to downgrade my 3ds.

I did have a slight problem soldering to one of the points. Any useful tips for next time as I am pretty inexperienced with soldering.

I used flux and tinned my wire. Is it advisable to remove the laquer on the board with something abrasive first?

Thanks.

pelevs

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I think i bricked my 3ds xl. I restored a nand that worked fine as emunanad (9.0.0 by 3dnus). No error, only black screen. Can i just copy my backup to this points or do i need to use the raspberry pi methoed?

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i bricked my 3ds xl. I restored a nand that worked fine as emunanad (9.0.0 by 3dnus). No error, only black screen. Can i just copy my backup to this points or do i need to use the raspberry pi methoed?

That depends, either way you are going to need to be able to connect a SD card reader to these points. I would take a back up of the bricked firmware too for safety. If you have a couple good NAND dumps say from Gateway or if you already have this mod then you can use that. If not you might have to use the unbricking method with the Pi.

I have the white one but I can't get it to recognize my SD. What was the SD pinout cable you used?

Do you mean your systems eMMC or an SD card? Here is a standard SD card pinout, you are connecting at least four of the signals, DAT0 / GND / CLK / CMD. Also what kinda of adapter are you using? Not that it matters too much as you are connecting the internal eMMC to a card reader and so long as you are getting the eMMC test pads connected to the proper pins on the SD card reader it should be fine. Also it's worth noting that not every SD card reader works, I have had a couple that are the same physically on the outside but after opening them they used different controllers and would not work.

sd-card-pinout.png

Reactions: pelevs

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
hi, im not sure where to post this, but i can post somewhere else if wrong section...
any way ive got a 3ds xl with the hard mod on it and im trying to restore my nand backup that i made a while back via the GateWay method, only problem is i have the blue screen of death now and i cant restore via GateWay anymore.
I do have the hardware mod installed and it reads and writes just fine on my laptop, but it simply wont fix the blue screen.
My nand backup created from the gateway card is in .BIN format do i need to change this for it to work the micro SD mod?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill